Thread: Crew Chief asks me to pit - reason unknown

Crew Chief asks me to pit - reason unknown

Just curious as to why Crew Chief would ask me to pit when the vehicle is fine and no penalties have been issued.

It's been happening at VLM's Sebring 12h track with various mods and track race distances. In the past I've run that track with various mods many many times, but without Crew Chief as it was the Disc version of GTR2 so I never heard the request to pit naturally.

Here's a couple examples of what my Race Weekend would look like:

- 25 lap sprint race (no fuel stop required).
    - Qualifying from anywhere of 4-8 laps (by choice, not by track time limit/lap setting).
    - Going back to the garage, sit in the car and accelerate the time to finish qualifying, 30+ minutes left.
    - Start a Rolling Start Race and put the pedal to the metal when it goes green.
    - Make my way thru the field keeping the car damage free.
    - By lap 6/7 Jim comes on the radio just around turn 2 and asks me to "pit this lap".
    - Then just around Bishop Bend Jim again comes on the radio and says "box, box, box, pit now".

- 40 lap race (1 fuel stop required, around lap 28 for my vehicle choice).
    - Qualifying from anywhere of 4-8 laps (by choice, not by track time limit/lap setting).
    - Going back to the garage, sit in the car and accelerate the time to finish qualifying, 30+ minutes left.
    - Start a Rolling Start Race and put the pedal to the metal when it goes green.
    - Make my way thru the field keeping the car damage free.
    - By lap 11/12 Jim comes on the radio just around turn 2 and asks me to "pit this lap".
    - Then just around Bishop Bend Jim again comes on the radio and says "box, box, box, pit now".

Funny thing is when I ask Crew Chief what my vehicle status is (after the pit message), all it good. Lots of fuel, tire temps fine, no damage etc. As well there are no penalties issued. I ignore the pit request and all is fine. The race ends and I finish were I finish. First, top 3, top 5, top 10, last.

It hasn't happened yet on other tracks with the same mods and Race Weekend settings. From start to finish all I hear from Crew Chief is various race/spotter info. No pit in request.

Since I've yet to have it happen on other tracks using the same mods there must be something triggering the response on the Sebring 12h track. I've also downloaded and installed various versions of VLM's Sebring and they too trigger the response from Crew Chief.

I looked over the Sebring 12h track files for any mention of a required pit stop at lap XX based on race distance but nothing jumped out at me. I know that the track was created for rFactor initially, then converted to GTR2, GTL and Race07, so there are some extra lines in the AIW and GDB files that GTR2 ignores as they are not present in any of the stock tracks.

It's not a big deal but more of a curiosity on my part. Has it happened to others who run Crew Chief with GTR2 and the Sebring 12h track ?

I'm going to do some more testing as time allows and see if it's a combo of things that cause this issue. I know some tracks act weird depending on what conditions are met. Nürburgring 2005 by Zwiss comes to mind.

Did you schedule pit stops in race setup? I do not remember if there's an option to disable this behavior, but what you describe could be caused by a scheduled pit stop. Search CC app preferences for "pit" see what options are available.

The track you mentioned is fine, I use it no problem. Another issue might be problems with fuel use estimates - CC might be estimating that you won't make it to the end unless you pit, that could also cause CC asking you to pit. And there are many reasons for estimates to go wrong.

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Wolf View Post
    Did you schedule pit stops in race setup? I do not remember if there's an option to disable this behavior, but what you describe could be caused by a scheduled pit stop. Search CC app preferences for "pit" see what options are available.
    Nope. I just setup the vehicle to have the max fuel at the start and then leave the other "fuel stop" settings as is because there would be more than enough fuel to finish the races I run.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Wolf View Post
    The track you mentioned is fine, I use it no problem. Another issue might be problems with fuel use estimates - CC might be estimating that you won't make it to the end unless you pit, that could also cause CC asking you to pit. And there are many reasons for estimates to go wrong.
    Fuel use estimates might be the cause. As you say there could be any number of reasons for the pit request and since this is the only track that has done it so far it's no big deal now that I know I don't have to pit and can make it to the end of a 25 lap sprint race.

Copied the Sebring track to my GTR2HQ install (just GTR2 & HQ mod) this AM for more testing using the HQ vehicles/physics and same thing is happening as in my original post.

I did as you mentioned and went through CC's Profile options and found the GTR2 Pit Stop Prediction entry, unchecked it, and so far that seems to have done the trick, thanks.