Hi, I noted a thread* from 2021 with discussion of the VR overlay button not being available. For performance reasons on my Reverb G2, I use OpenComposite (it substitutes in OpenComposite versions of the SteamVR DLLs at game runtime and remains compatible with any game running in SteamVR mode).

However, a consequence of this is that the SteamVR helper app never opens, because it never needs to, and the game runs windowed as usual showing a mirror of the VR view, with no SteamVR overlays. I do also use the OpenXR Toolkit and VR Performance Toolkit for some OVR fixes inside ACC which work great, and OpenXR also has the ability to render minimal overlay UIs within the game while it's running.

I'm presuming Crew Chief in this scenario might require a DLL injection to facilitate overlays, if its VR feature is reliant on SteamVR's overlays feature. Is this definitely the case, or is there another performant way to get it working without a reliance on SteamVR, allowing OpenComposite OpenXR to be used?

(* /showthread.php?2313-steam-vr-overlay-button-greyed-out on this forum -- can't post links yet!)