Thread: Spotter Question

Spotter Question

Hey fellas

I've been trying to tweak the CrewChief spotter settings so that any AI car who's rear bumper is even with my front fender/wheelwell does not keep telling me that there's a car there, as I can fully see there is, yet not mess up the "blind spot" spotter calls that I rely on. Now I'm not talking when the AI overtakes me or I overtake them but when racing close or door to door around the track as it were. Any specific settings I could try changing as I can't seem to find a combination that works without messing up any of the blind spot settings.

I made a little drawing to show what I'm meaning. The first and second images in row 2 could of been in the top row but I'm hoping you get the idea on the closeness of the AI cars.

Thanks

Name:  Spotter Call Car Location.jpg
Views: 3786
Size:  83.2 KB
    Last edited by P_Bradshaw; 28-02-2022 at 18:13.

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    that requires a change in the spotter logic. At the moment we have a single 'length' param, I think what you're asking for is to have this split into 'length ahead' and 'length behind'. IIRC there's already a bit of logic in the spotter code so it's more cautious with overlaps that are behind the player (i.e. it's more sensitive if the opponent car is behind you). So the basic logic for this probably already exists but isn't exposed in a way that can be used.

I'd need to review the code to confirm this, it's *years* since I wrote it.

I'd have to remove the existing 'spotter car length' variables and replace them with 2 separate variables for ahead-overlap-length / behind-overlap-length which could default to car length / 2. So all this is probably doable but needs some careful thought

I didn't know if there was something I missed in the various settings in CrewChief, or Iron Wolf's INI file, so now I know.

Thanks for the explanation.

Just to add 2 cents here - those length parameters are configurable per vehicle class (and classes work very well in GTR2 since most content uses class strings). More on per class CC configuration here: https://thecrewchief.org/showthread....ng-Car-Classes

Also, specifically for GTR2 make sure you adjust scoringUpdateBoost in CrewChief.ini. If you rely on spotter, you may want to set this value to 0.0. The lower the value, the more accurate spotter is. Currently, this might have small FPS impact (that may change in the future).

Thanks I'll have a look in the Car Class file.

I had the scoringUpdateBoost at 0.10000 and dropped it to 0.0 and I'll see how much difference it makes.

I haven't be sim racing for a quite a few months now so it was a nice surprise to see the NEW entries in the INI file for things like dirt pickup on the tires. One thing that had me go WTF had to do with the ClipPlanes setting in the default.cam file. I had edited that setting some time ago to the suggested (0.55000, 500.000000) and when I updated CrewChief and started GTR2 half the cockpit was missing, LOL. Needless to say something was off because everything DID work when I last sat down to play. It was only going through the new INI file and seeing the 2D Flickering Fix setting that made me say "hey looks like I don't need to edit that Clipplanes line", so after setting it back to the default (0.17500, 500.000000) everything was fine. Damn fine work fellas..

Quote Originally Posted by P_Bradshaw View Post
    Thanks I'll have a look in the Car Class file.

I had the scoringUpdateBoost at 0.10000 and dropped it to 0.0 and I'll see how much difference it makes.

I haven't be sim racing for a quite a few months now so it was a nice surprise to see the NEW entries in the INI file for things like dirt pickup on the tires. One thing that had me go WTF had to do with the ClipPlanes setting in the default.cam file. I had edited that setting some time ago to the suggested (0.55000, 500.000000) and when I updated CrewChief and started GTR2 half the cockpit was missing, LOL. Needless to say something was off because everything DID work when I last sat down to play. It was only going through the new INI file and seeing the 2D Flickering Fix setting that made me say "hey looks like I don't need to edit that Clipplanes line", so after setting it back to the default (0.17500, 500.000000) everything was fine. Damn fine work fellas..
    Everything you need to know is in the plugin manual. With latest fixes you can go as close on the front clip plane as 0.04 if DX9 is used, and 0.03 if DXVK is used without any image degradation/flickering. If you had a break from the plugin, perhaps it is best to delete old .ini and restart fresh. Plugin fixes many GTR2 problems, including rendering problems that's why old settings needed adjusting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Wolf View Post
    Everything you need to know is in the plugin manual.
    What's a manual ? If it's anything like a map, instructions or directions from the wife I usually just ignore them, give a loud grunt, poke it with a stick, then hope for the best

I did indeed delete the original ini plus all the older dll files from that GTR2 install before updating. Also grabbed the pdf from your sticky thread the other day. Haven't had a chance to install the updates on my sim rig yet as I still can't work the pedals do to my injury, so for now I only have it on my "everyday pc" using a controller and autoshift in GTR2. I am really looking forward to trying out the gearbox and FFB settings with my old G27.

Quote Originally Posted by P_Bradshaw View Post
    What's a manual ? If it's anything like a map, instructions or directions from the wife I usually just ignore them, give a loud grunt, poke it with a stick, then hope for the best

I did indeed delete the original ini plus all the older dll files from that GTR2 install before updating. Also grabbed the pdf from your sticky thread the other day. Haven't had a chance to install the updates on my sim rig yet as I still can't work the pedals do to my injury, so for now I only have it on my "everyday pc" using a controller and autoshift in GTR2. I am really looking forward to trying out the gearbox and FFB settings with my old G27.
    Yep, contrary to common misunderstanding VR is just a tiny part of this plugin. I've put megaton of work and love into Gearbox and FFB changes, I hope it will improve your experience as it did mine. Also, just so that you feel less alone, I have constant health issues too, and simracing is shockingly physical. Right now, I am taking a break from motion system...