Thread: Crew Chief GTR2 VR - Ghost issue

Crew Chief GTR2 VR - Ghost issue

Hi guys.

Firstly, let me just express my immense appreciation to Iron Wolf and co for the amazing work you've done here. It is absolutely unreal to be playing GTR2 in VR! The core sim has held up extremely well and stands proudly among the best current gen sims, IMO. Playing it in VR is so immersive that the dated graphics are of little to no concern, and the pure thrill of the great racing that GTR2 still provides just goes to a whole new level being sat in the virtual seat. Incredible!

I have one issue that I can't figure out how to get working, and can't find a post about it being a known issue.

Whenever a ghost car becomes active, be that in Driving School or in Time Trial, the view goes completely black with only the 2D text showing. In TT for example, I can drive the first lap perfectly fine, but as soon as I cross the start line at the beginning of lap 2 and the ghost becomes active, the screen immediately goes black. In Driving School I can do the practice mode (where there's no ghost present) just fine, but as soon as I do "attempt", it just starts black. Also, once this happens, the rest of the game (on-track) is black. I have to quit the game and restart in order to fix it.

If I run the clean Steam game, it all works perfectly. As soon as I copy the CC files into my GTR2 drop folder, this happens. If I disable VR (either via cmd line or ini file) it still does the black screen thing. If I remove the CC plugin folder and the two root folder files (OpenVR and D3D9 ones) it works fine again.

I'm running on Windows 10, GTX 1080, Driver 511.65 (latest as of this post).

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Gear View Post
    Hi guys.

Firstly, let me just express my immense appreciation to Iron Wolf and co for the amazing work you've done here. It is absolutely unreal to be playing GTR2 in VR! The core sim has held up extremely well and stands proudly among the best current gen sims, IMO. Playing it in VR is so immersive that the dated graphics are of little to no concern, and the pure thrill of the great racing that GTR2 still provides just goes to a whole new level being sat in the virtual seat. Incredible!

I have one issue that I can't figure out how to get working, and can't find a post about it being a known issue.

Whenever a ghost car becomes active, be that in Driving School or in Time Trial, the view goes completely black with only the 2D text showing. In TT for example, I can drive the first lap perfectly fine, but as soon as I cross the start line at the beginning of lap 2 and the ghost becomes active, the screen immediately goes black. In Driving School I can do the practice mode (where there's no ghost present) just fine, but as soon as I do "attempt", it just starts black. Also, once this happens, the rest of the game (on-track) is black. I have to quit the game and restart in order to fix it.

If I run the clean Steam game, it all works perfectly. As soon as I copy the CC files into my GTR2 drop folder, this happens. If I disable VR (either via cmd line or ini file) it still does the black screen thing. If I remove the CC plugin folder and the two root folder files (OpenVR and D3D9 ones) it works fine again.

I'm running on Windows 10, GTX 1080, Driver 511.65 (latest as of this post).

Hello,

Thanks for the report, there has been huge amount of changes in the recent months, so I am not surprised something got broken. Could you try one thing:

graphicsEnableAdvancedFlickerFix = 0

And let me know if it fixes it.

Cheers!

EDIT: Yeah, I see problem is caused by the graphicsEnableAdvancedFlickerFix . For now, set it to 0 and I'll try fixing it soon.

I think I have a fix:
    https://thecrewchief.org/showthread....ull=1#post9756

Let me know how it works for you (no need to disable flickering fix).

Just tested it and can confirm it's now working 100% in both Driving School and Time Trial. Thank you so much for the swift response and fix!

As an aside - I'm the guy who designed the original Driving School and recorded all the Driver Instructor ghosts for it. To now drive against myself from 16 years ago, in VR, is quite the emotional experience! Thank you so much for making this a (virtual) reality. I'm having a blast!

Wow, nice. Thank you so much for contributing to GTR2. As you said, it held up really well with time, and in some areas it is still unsurpassed by the modern games. And that's the reason this plugin exists, I am hugely enjoying this game myself. Even for visuals, most recent track mods and cars using SSTR/SRPL shaders look genuinely nice. But there's so much more to simulating motorsport events than visuals, and I so wish that "much more" part received more attention nowadays. Oh well.

And DS is amazing in GTR2 - it truly helps in becoming faster.

Thanks, it's such a thrill to hear of people still enjoying GTR2 after all this time. I honestly never expected it would hold up this well after so many years, but here we are!

I was actually the Lead Designer and Producer on GTR2 and it was a great project to work on. We had some incredibly talented and passionate people on board the team, and that showed in the final product. The Driving School part of it just holds a very dear place in my heart as I poured so much time into its design and execution. Now that I'm attempting the "hard" challenges again, it's clear that I was much faster 16 years ago!

A little request - for a future version, would it be feasible to link the "recenter TrackIR" assignable button in the UI to also recenter VR? It would be so much easier to do VR recentering via a button on the wheel than the keyboard.

Regarding "Even for visuals, most recent track mods and cars using SSTR/SRPL shaders look genuinely nice." << Any particular ones that you'd recommend or point me to where I should look for top quality content mods?

Thanks, it's such a thrill to hear of people still enjoying GTR2 after all this time. I honestly never expected it would hold up this well after so many years, but here we are!

I was actually the Lead Designer and Producer on GTR2 and it was a great project to work on. We had some incredibly talented and passionate people on board the team, and that showed in the final product. The Driving School part of it just holds a very dear place in my heart as I poured so much time into its design and execution. Now that I'm attempting the "hard" challenges again, it's clear that I was much faster 16 years ago!

A little request - for a future version, would it be feasible to link the "recenter TrackIR" assignable button in the UI to also recenter VR? It would be so much easier to do VR recentering via a button on the wheel than the keyboard.

Regarding "Even for visuals, most recent track mods and cars using SSTR/SRPL shaders look genuinely nice." << Any particular ones that you'd recommend or point me to where I should look for top quality content mods?
    Nice
    I tried to wire recenter VR to a button, but there was a complication that without invasive changes, I could not make it work in menu. The philosophy of this effort is that reversing is the last resort, only if there's no other workaround (because it is very easy to break the game in unpredictable ways, and also because even simplest things take days and weeks to figure out). Thanks for "Recenter TrackIR" hint, one day I'll see if that will work better. That said you do not need keyboard to recenter:

* CC app can recenter VR via button press
    * I personally use Joy2Key to map numpad5 to button. Joy2Key is also very useful for mapping buttons that game does not pick up due to it's age (CSS Shifter, funky switches on Fanatec wheels etc).

Regarding the content, I'll PM you, or feel free to reach out to me on CC Discord server.

Nice one, thanks. Do I need an invite for the CC Discord server?

Nice one, thanks. Do I need an invite for the CC Discord server?
    The link to join our server is on the front page of this forum