Thread: Iracing background sound lost during race

Iracing background sound lost during race

Hi all,

I use crew chief now for two days and had two races where the background sound was gone during the race. Normally it works but sometimes I hear a distorted loud noise and then all background sound is lost. The voice from crew chief is still working, but engine sound, iracing spotter and tyre sound is gone.

Does anybody know what the problem is? Racing without noise is not the best way to improve your irating...

Kind regards,

Hemmo

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    No idea. CC just plays audio, it doesn't change audio settings for other apps. Sometimes Windows will apply "level ducking", reducing other app's volume when it thinks something is speaking - perhaps it's that? Otherwise it sounds like a device driver issue.

You could try experiementing with CC's audio playback settings ("use nAudio for playback" on / off, change the nAudio playback type between WASAPI and WaveOut, change the WASAPI latency options)

I had a similar issue. The iRacing background sound will suddenly mute/shut off during a race, which ultimately led to me wrecking each time. I mapped a button to adjust iracing volume to try to adjust it back up on the fly but the button doesn't do anything after the sound cuts off. I have to exit the car and go to options and sound to adjust the volume back on (the volume level displayed is normal - I just move it down one and then back to the original position and it's back on). This happened a couple times while CC was running, and then I did a race without turning on CC and it also happened. I uninstalled CC and haven't had the issue come up for a couple weeks. I'm considering trying to troubleshoot again as I enjoy the CC spotting. Any thoughts on how to narrow down what the issue is?

I'm also running this in VR on the HP Reverb G2 if that makes a difference. I'm able to use the DRE application without any issues, so I don't think it's simply a windows issue since it should happen with both applications. I don't know the backends of both applications, but they have similar functions.

Thanks.

I see that it has been a while since anything was added to this thread, but it's the first thing that came up on my search so wondering if anyone has figured out this issue. This has been happening to me for a while and I first thought it was an iRacing issue since it was the iRacing sound that went out and the Crew Chief sound that kept working, but the last few times that it has happened, I've noticed that the iRacing sound cuts off right after something from Crew Chief. For example, Crew Chief will come in and say something about the track temp or my last lap speed and then immediately after that the iRacing sound will go away. That, iRacing's insistence that it is not their fault, and the fact that Crew Chief does have an impact on the sound source being used has conviced me that it is a Crew Chief issue and not an iRacing issue. I love Crew Chief, but this issue always seems to happen when I'm doing well in a race and then without being able to guage the engine sound or hear what is around me, I always either wreck or get way to conservative and lose a ton of positions. If anyone has figured out what is causing the issue, please let me know. I'm not using VR. Just using a HyperX headset.

I also have the same issue Arbane408. Were you able to resolve it? I run with Reverb G2 as well. Have it on RealTek USB2.0 when playing VR.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminKraus View Post
    I also have the same issue Arbane408. Were you able to resolve it? I run with Reverb G2 as well. Have it on RealTek USB2.0 when playing VR.
    I primarily run triples now. When I was running VR as primary I had to use DRE due to this issue. I don't know if it still does it.