Thread: steam vr overlay button greyed out

steam vr overlay button greyed out

Even once I have launched Iracing in my g2 with steam vr running the steam vr overlay button is still greyed out. What am I doing wrong?

Go to propertied and make sure "Enable VR overlays" is checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparten View Post
    Go to propertied and make sure "Enable VR overlays" is checked.
    Yeah for sure, the vr overlays option is enabled in the settings. Seems that it just does not work with the most recent steam vr 1.17.8 beta I had switch to the only non beta version 1.16.10 and now the crew chief vr overly button works and I can use the overlays button. But unfortunately the older version of steam vr seems to not perform as well. Guess I will have to wait for crew chief to be updated to work with the newest steam vr

That makes no sense, i'm using 1.17.8 beta and have no problem with that so must be something else thats causing it.

That makes no sense, i'm using 1.17.8 beta and have no problem with that so must be something else thats causing it.
    Well glad it works with that version, will have to see if I can find out want is causing my issues then.

So just tried again and still grey out. I have all the vr options enabled and crew chief can even launch my steam vr beta or not.

I am running newest steam vr 1.17.8 beta and the most updated Crew Cheif 4.15.2.6. With this setup up the Steam vr overlay button is always greyed out even when I have iracing launched and running in my G2 headset.

For some reason when I switch to non beta steam vr 1.16.10 it does work but steam vr 1.16.10 is not as good. If anyone can help me get this working with the new steam vr it would be very welcome. I can't figure out why it won't. No settings have change between the two setups and steam vr and crew chief are still installed in the same locations etc.

can you check if the window name of steam vr contains "SteamVR"

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyfern View Post
    So just tried again and still grey out. I have all the vr options enabled and crew chief can even launch my steam vr beta or not.

I am running newest steam vr 1.17.8 beta and the most updated Crew Cheif 4.15.2.6. With this setup up the Steam vr overlay button is always greyed out even when I have iracing launched and running in my G2 headset.

For some reason when I switch to non beta steam vr 1.16.10 it does work but steam vr 1.16.10 is not as good. If anyone can help me get this working with the new steam vr it would be very welcome. I can't figure out why it won't. No settings have change between the two setups and steam vr and crew chief are still installed in the same locations etc.
    Do you run any of the things like CC, iRacing, Steam or SteamVR as administrator?

can you check if the window name of steam vr contains "SteamVR"
    If I alt tab my windows the steam vr window is called "SteamVr Status" The one that shows the performance graph.

After seeing this I did some checking and saw that I turned off my steam "VR View" window off. I turned if off because the g2 already has the mixed reality portal view window and I don't need that may views of my vr sessions.
    I turned on the steam "VR View" window and now the steam vr overlay button is accessible. It even stays accessible when I close the steam "VR View" window but the "VR View window has to be open at least for a second before crew chief will let me use the button. But if at least once in my session the view window was on when crew chief was started it seems to see the vr and allow access to the button even if I close the vr view window after.

Hopefully this could be changed at some point so it is not required because I don't like having the extra vr view window open and having to manual close and open it would be annoying. But can't complain really as crew chief is and amazing app. At least it seems to work now.