Thread: Fuel issue

Fuel issue

Hi all, just had a race in Iracing on the Nordschleife, 5 laps.
    I pitted after lap 3, let CC decide the extra fuel.

I ran out of fuel with about 3 minutes left, ending the race in 16th instead of 2nd position

I was mostly drafting behind some other guy so I could pass him on the final straight, which made me save fuel.

In CC I have these settings:
    - Enable Iracing refuel ON
    - base fuel calculations on max fuel consumption OFF (not sure what this is for?)
    - additional fuel to add: 1
    That additional fuel is for 1 lap extra so on the Nordschleife I should have way more fuel than would have needed.

During a race I'm really too stressed to calculate fuel in my head and I race in VR so I can't use any of those fuel calculation windows.
    Any advice to take this fuel stress of my back?
    Last edited by Warrie; 09-04-2021 at 19:31.

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    "Base fuel calculations on max fuel consumption"

this option makes the app select the lap with the highest fuel consumption for its fuel calculations. If this is enabled the app will assume that your fuel consumption on the remaining laps will be as high as the fuel consumption on the lap where you used the most fuel for the entire race.

If this is not enabled the app will use a rolling average of the last few laps (the exact number depends on track length). In this mode the app assumes that your recent consumption is an accurate reflection of the likely consumption on future laps.

For races where consumption varies a lot (like oval races with full course yellows), "Base fuel calculations on max fuel consumption" should be enabled (if the app knows you're racing on an oval it will do this automatically).

For short races on very long tracks, the per-lap consumption is likely to be highly variable resulting in under or over fuelling at the pitstop. I recommend enabling the "Base fuel calculations on max fuel consumption" option in these cases, but even with that enabled it's important to appreciate that if you've only done 1 or 2 flying laps when you pit for fuel, the app's consumption data can be quite inaccurate.

I suspect that the app *did* add 1 extra lap of fuel, but it's view of what 1 lap of fuel actually is was probably wildly inaccurate

Thank you for clearing that up! I have set it to 'on' now, on the Nordschleife comsumption varies heavily depending on wether or not I'm drafting (I think), but I choose having too much fuel over having to end a race without any
    I'll do some more testing with AI races - during the pitstop yesterday it was just too stressfull to check and calculate how much fuel was being added.
    But I know that without pitting you will strand at around the same place as it happened yesterday - I did this race before with taking the gamble of not doing a pitstop.
    As per advice in another thread I set CC as 'start as administrator' now.

I just remembered that I could check the fuel usage with VRS - not a single drop of fuel was added during the pitstop :-/

I did about 2 hours of testing today and everytime CC added more than enough fuel. That was with CC set to 'use as admin', not sure but maybe that fixed it since I read this was needed when using the Iracing UI.
    Anyway, I also reconfigured my buttons and more than half are now used for pitstops, so I can at least correct Chief when he does screw up in the future