Thread: GTR2 - Weather forecast using Weather.ini and pacenotes

GTR2 - Weather forecast using Weather.ini and pacenotes

First of all, thanks for adding support for GTR2, it has made me want to play the game again.

I've been playing around with editing the weather.ini files for GTR2, and it occurred to me that the data in this file could be used to make CC playback messages about upcoming changes in the weather. It seems to me that the pacenotes functions could be used if it was tweaked a little.

The only thing that needs to be changed is that pacenotes should be read out after a certain time has elapsed, instead of reading the pacenotes based on the cars position on the track.
    For example, if the weather.ini file says that it's going to start raining after 10 minutes, you could have a pacenote after 8 minutes saying 'Looks like it's going to start raining soon'.

I don't know how difficult or easy this is to implement, or whether this method could be used in other sims, but it seems to me it would make this great app even better.

Considering that one of the key features of GTR2 is minimal dynamic weather, I agree that getting forecast messages is going to be quite immersive.

It can be done and is not too hard, but unfortunately falls far down on my personal priority list, so it is unlikely I'll get to this any time soon. That said CC is open source, maybe someone will jump in to do it (it is fairly simple and I will gladly provide guidance on how to do it, in fact I am discussing this with someone).

One caveat though: weather.txt is notoriously unreliable, even when it says it'll rain, sometimes it just doesn't. On the other hand, this is no different from reality, where we don't know for sure

But, one weather related candy is coming soon - rain wipers, so stay tuned.

Driving in the rain today, I noticed that the wipers are working already

I found a workaround that makes it possible to have a simple weather forecast system using Autohotkey, which is a freeware program that can be used to run scripts using hotkeys.

Here's the method, in case anybody is interested in trying this, the files needed can be found in this zip archive: (( Weather forecast using Autohotkey.zip ))

To create the script (not neccessary, you can just use the script in the zip file)
    1. Create a weather.ini file using Autosim Weather Generator v1_0 by alexz.
    2. Paste it into the Excel sheet, which converts the values into a script that can be used with Autohotkey

To run the script:
    1. Place the six .wav files in the D: drive root folder, and place the weather.ini file in the correct folder.
    2. Install Autohotkey (Download it here) and load the script weathertest2.ahk into Autohotkey (right click - Open with - Use another App - Autohotkey)
    3. Start a race, but deselect practice, qualifying and warmup (the weather.ini file doesn't have any setup for those sessions)
    4. When you are on the start line, ready to start the race, press Shift, this will start the script and you get the first weather forecast. This also starts the timer, so it's important to press Shift at the beginning of the race.
    5. After this, you will get an updated weather forecast every time you press shift. The script keeps running even if you pause the game, so pausing for a long time will cause the timing of the weather forecast to be incorrect.
    6. If you want to start the race again, you will need to reset the script. Rightclick on the green Autohotkey icon in the tray, Select Exit. Then load the script again to use it in the next race.

If anybody is interested in using this method, I can post more information.
    Last edited by sikjar; 20-06-2021 at 16:37.

Quote Originally Posted by sikjar View Post
    Driving in the rain today, I noticed that the wipers are working already

I found a workaround that makes it possible to have a simple weather forecast system using Autohotkey, which is a freeware program that can be used to run scripts using hotkeys.

Here's the method, in case anybody is interested in trying this, the files needed can be found in this zip archive: (( Weather forecast using Autohotkey.zip ))

To create the script (not neccessary, you can just use the script in the zip file)
    1. Create a weather.ini file using Autosim Weather Generator v1_0 by alexz.
    2. Paste it into the Excel sheet, which converts the values into a script that can be used with Autohotkey

To run the script:
    1. Place the six .wav files in the D: drive root folder, and place the weather.ini file in the correct folder.
    2. Install Autohotkey (Download it here) and load the script weathertest2.ahk into Autohotkey (right click - Open with - Use another App - Autohotkey)
    3. Start a race, but deselect practice, qualifying and warmup (the weather.ini file doesn't have any setup for those sessions)
    4. When you are on the start line, ready to start the race, press Shift, this will start the script and you get the first weather forecast. This also starts the timer, so it's important to press Shift at the beginning of the race.
    5. After this, you will get an updated weather forecast every time you press shift. The script keeps running even if you pause the game, so pausing for a long time will cause the timing of the weather forecast to be incorrect.
    6. If you want to start the race again, you will need to reset the script. Rightclick on the green Autohotkey icon in the tray, Select Exit. Then load the script again to use it in the next race.

If anybody is interested in using this method, I can post more information.
    Did you enable a button to control the wipers ? With cars edited in special way, plugin allows wipers to run on button press, with 2 speeds. Also, beta plugin supports wipers cleaning the dirt.

The wipers came on automatically, next time I will have to try the button press thingy

Quote Originally Posted by sikjar View Post
    The wipers came on automatically, next time I will have to try the button press thingy

Yeah, automatic wipers are done without plugin. Automatic wipers is simply the rainscreen with wipers drawn on them.

CC plugin wipers work at 2 speeds, and dry weather as well - they don't just magically show up when it starts to rain, and they are capable of clearing the screen dirt But, they need car to support them (HQ Anniversary has support, and I am also sharing bunch of wipers done by me at EEC private section, they're fairly easy to add).