PDA

View Full Version : SimRacing.Club drivers integration

RolandTJ
15-05-2017, 16:03
Hi,
Contacted privately but thought I'd put everything in one place.

I've made a spreadsheet which should roughly match the CC template:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ctJKVSYYE2RmNesSmHGgT0G8dmf7M0haqjWSd97BMEw/edit?usp=sharing

This will be updated as people add to it.

Here is a comprehensive list of our drivers:
https://simracing.club/web/vec-teams/
https://simracing.club/web/vec-teams-d2/
https://simracing.club/web/vlms-teams/

SimRacing.Club exclusively uses rFactor 2. The mods used are the EGT and PX series by URD (UnitedRacingDesign).

I have directed our community to the donate button I found on the CC sector 3 thread.

It would be hugely appreciated if this is possible.

All the best,

Ed

mr_belowski
15-05-2017, 16:19
Thanks Roland.

The google sheets document should always bee editable by anyone with the link, but it often reverts to read-only and I've never been able to work out why. I'll sort it out when I get a minute. I've been very busy lately but did take a quick look at your spreadsheet. It looks fine - I think it's sensible to keep adding to it and I'll do the recordings this week (with a bit of luck). Because I try to rattle through them quickly (it works best if I get a bit of a rhythm going) I'd prefer the Pronunciation column to be simple phonetics if possible - i won't be able to remember the google translate recording sounds for all those drivers :)

Also bear in mind that I might accidentally mangle some - this isn't intentional but can't really be avoided. I always do my best but I also don't try to make them perfect - it would round very odd if my Yorkshire accent suddenly became perfect French or something.

Jim

RolandTJ
15-05-2017, 16:22
It's perfect if the recordings are consistent with the way you've already done them, because it sounds the way an English engineer would pronounce these names ;)

RolandTJ
16-05-2017, 11:47
I've got the whole of the VEC lineup in there now. All the difficult names have google translate references next to them. If there's no pronunciation reference, it sounds like it's read. Is this alright?

RolandTJ
16-05-2017, 18:53
I have gone through the pronunciations and fixed them according to your wishes.

mr_belowski
16-05-2017, 19:18
Wow, thanks fella - that looks like it was a massive pile of work

RolandTJ
16-05-2017, 19:26
I can't even imagine how much work it has been for you to develop this software, so I'm more than happy to do it. Anything else, just ask me.
If you'd like quick contact, please use this discord server and we can speak through private messages (just let me know the name you use ;)):
https://discord.gg/9bKFghC

mr_belowski
16-05-2017, 19:33
Will do. I'll get the recordings done tomorrow or Thursday, with the usual caveat that if I get home from work to find the kids have behaved appallingly and mum is on the verge of banging their heads together, it might get delayed

RolandTJ
16-05-2017, 20:11
As life permits ;)

mr_belowski
17-05-2017, 17:04
Righty, just done the recordings, will package it up tonight or tomorrow and push out the update. Some of them are a little mangled - if any are clearly too shit (I expect there'll be a couple) then I'm happy to re-do them with the next batch. Expect an auto-update soon.

RolandTJ
17-05-2017, 20:43
I can't thank you enough. It must have been an enormous job. Well done.
I shall organise a test race to see how the names sound ;)

mr_belowski
17-05-2017, 21:01
Expect the update tomorrow evening - all users will get the new names in the normal way

RolandTJ
18-05-2017, 10:33
Perfect. Thank you so much again.

Is the normal way clicking the "Driver Names" button?

mr_belowski
18-05-2017, 10:41
yeah, it'll be highlighted in green when the update is available

mr_belowski
18-05-2017, 16:49
The driver names should now be available :)

RolandTJ
18-05-2017, 20:23
Thank you for letting me know. The whole community is extremely excited :)

RolandTJ
19-05-2017, 08:01
What is the install path for the wavs? Interested to check a few out :)

RolandTJ
19-05-2017, 08:03
Apologies. I just found it.

RolandTJ
19-05-2017, 08:05
Just noticed Alsabti filename is Bovo when played. Just a heads-up.

RolandTJ
19-05-2017, 08:12
To be super-conceited of me, would you mind updating "Trevelyan-Johnson"?
I probably should have made the phonetic spelling a bit clearer.

The Trevelyan should be more like TrevelEEan
Like this: https://translate.google.co.uk/#auto/en/Trevelyan

I've been through a few and you really have done a spectacular job, by the way.

mr_belowski
19-05-2017, 08:41
ok, there is an ordering cockup in that set - about 10 have been misaligned. I've corrected these and re-recorded your name and am uploading an update now. Should be available in the next 20 minutes or so

RolandTJ
19-05-2017, 08:45
Thank you for this!

Just one last request for now if at all possible:

Could you redo Koetz to sound like Kurtz as in the Marlon Brando Character from Apocalypse Now? At the moment, the Wav sounds like Curtis.

:)

mr_belowski
19-05-2017, 08:54
Sorry man, I've already published the update :(

Will redo it for the next version (but may need to be reminded)

RolandTJ
19-05-2017, 09:06
No problem. Just had a listen. Sounds great! Thanks for doing that :)

mr_belowski
19-05-2017, 09:11
No probs. The alignment thing was caused by the sound-chopper-upper thinking a 'click' was an actual sound, after which everything was out of alignment (because of the additional spurious sound). I then accidentally missed a name so they started to line up again, which is why my random testing didn't spot it (usually a missing or inserted sound means loads and loads are wrong, but in this case it was only 10)

RolandTJ
19-05-2017, 09:21
That sounds quite complex. Glad it wasn't as bad as it sounds like it could have been!

I'd be happy to make a video for you guys in return for the massive job you've done.
This is the last game-related one I did:
https://youtu.be/SUTCxPSV5AM

mr_belowski
19-05-2017, 09:27
nice video :)

RolandTJ
24-05-2017, 14:47
Hi,

I've mopped up the dregs and put them in the second tab named BATCH 2 here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ctJKVSYYE2RmNesSmHGgT0G8dmf7M0haqjWSd97BMEw/edit?usp=sharing

If you could add them to your next session, it would be hugely appreciated.

We have been trying out the sound pack and it has made such a difference to immersion. Everyone is singing Crew Chief's praises on the SR.C forum.

Would it be possible for the following names be amended?

Koetz currently sounds like "Curtis" when it should be more like 'Kurtz'
Filippakos sounds like "Lazaros" when it should be 'Filippakos' with a similar cadence to Galapagos.

As always, truly wonderful work @mr_belowski

mr_belowski
24-05-2017, 14:54
Filippakos Lazaros was listed as the ingame name for this fella so I used his last name - assuming it was Lazaros. Is that incorrect?

Happy to add the 2nd batch when I get a quiet half hour. Put Koetz on it too to make sure I don't miss it

RolandTJ
24-05-2017, 14:57
Yeah I think he added his name and then I missed the misordering as I conformed it. My mistake. Sorry about that.

I'll add Koetz to the list. Shall I add Filippakos?

Which would be least confusing so you don't end up with duplicates?

RolandTJ
24-05-2017, 15:00
To be clear, Lazaros Filippakos is the correct in-game name.

mr_belowski
24-05-2017, 15:03
ok, chuck that one on the 2nd batch too (right way round this time ;)) and I'll include it

[edit] don't worry about duplicates, the most recent recording of any sound is the one that makes it into the app and recording the same name twice doesn't gobble up any time

RolandTJ
24-05-2017, 15:15
Ok good to know.

He is added.

Thank you so much again.

mr_belowski
24-05-2017, 17:01
Those are now added, should auto-update :)

RolandTJ
24-05-2017, 17:24
Gosh that was quick.

Fabulous. You're a marvel!

mr_belowski
25-05-2017, 06:55
One of the assetto corsa players had trouble getting this update to work - is it alright for you?

RolandTJ
25-05-2017, 08:44
Seems fine to me. What would I be having an issue with?

mr_belowski
25-05-2017, 08:53
it'd be pretty obvious - a "failed to download driver names" error message or something. Sounds like the guy having issues with it is having some other problem - disk space, virus checker, internet connectivity, user error, etc

RolandTJ
25-05-2017, 09:00
No issues here :)

I've been meaning to ask about relatives though. If two siblings drive in the same race, will their surname sound file only link to the one who was last added to the sound pack or does the sound file look for anyone with the same surname?

I ask because I notice Han Fazzi's "Fazzi" replaced his son Enzo's "Fazzi" in the last batch, if you get my drift.

mr_belowski
25-05-2017, 09:13
it'll use the same "fazzi" sound file for both - the mappings in additional_names.txt (where the game name is mapped to a sound file name) don't get overwritten so both mappings will be present. But for most of these names the app doesn't really need the mappings file - it just splits the in-game driver name and looks for a sound file who's name matches the second part of the name. The mapping is just a fall-back really.

Either way, it's all fine :)

RolandTJ
25-05-2017, 10:04
That's clever :)