PDA

View Full Version : Pit Stop Fuel to End of Race is not fueling enough (IMSA Race)

Chad711
02-08-2018, 21:30
Last night me and another user that uses CC ran out of fuel on the front straight at Road America after using this feature. We ran out at the same spot too. That is when he asked me if I used CC to do pit stop. Seems to be a issue with other races too as I see here and heard others mention it.

I will try to queue this request after I have entered pit lane next time to see if that helps but in the past it would not matter where I was on the track to request this. FYI IMSA is a timed race not fixed laps.

Sparten
03-08-2018, 06:27
Thats not to good.
This function uses the exact same code to calculate fuel usage as when you ask to be fuled to the end so i'm not sure whats going on here but i will have a check up on it at the beginning of next week.

Sparten
12-08-2018, 08:15
Ive been looking around to see if i could figure out what the issue is here but i cant see anything wrong with the code.
Did you enable "Use tight fuel calculations" without setting a value in "Additional fuel to add to finish the race" ?

CRReid
15-08-2018, 12:54
I came up a few laps short when racing VRS Indie last week. Sorry I don't have the details.

All I know for sure was I was in the Merc.

Edit: I didn't select enable tight fuel calculations.

Should it happen again I'll remember to post what happened.

CRReid
15-08-2018, 13:01
I do remember that I saw something like #11litres ... while I was pitting. I use gallons ... not litres.

Could this have something to do with putting in too little fuel?

Bobby Childs Jr
15-08-2018, 22:05
Could this have something to do with the way iRacing seems to have preset fuel amounts? I experience the same thing in my Mazda races - you can add 2 gallons or 3 gallons, but not 2.4 gallons.

Sparten
16-08-2018, 08:38
The input amount send to iracing(API) allways has to be in SI units(Liters), So when you say "pitstop add 4 gallons" we have to convert this to liters and send that to the game.
The app can't convert fractions of a gallon, i know this is kinda shit but there are some limitations in the speechrecognizer that we cant work our way around, so if you want better accuracy of the fueling commands you will have to switch to using liters.

Racer X
17-08-2018, 14:27
This is such an important piece of functionality but it always scares the crap out of me when I use it and sometimes it's hard to know in the heat of the moment whether you are getting proper fuel. Not a CC issue, but a good example is the HPD in the Le Mans series. HPD uses lbs of fuel, not gals or liters and in the series race at Le Mans you are fuel limited at the start. So you send a "fuel to end of race" command and it has to go from gals (my default) to liters to lbs at which point I have no idea whether I'm properly fueled. Again, not a CC issue per se, but you really need to be confident that CC is doing the right thing.

And, not to hijack the post, but instead of hard coding additional fuel as units, would it be more helpful to code as number of additional laps of fuel with decimals permitted? I like to over fuel by a half lap at the longer tracks, such as Le Mans. And maybe move this field to the main page or make it available as a voice command to adjust? Otherwise need to remember to change for each car/track before session launch.

Sparten
17-08-2018, 14:44
CC gets the amount of fuel from the game API this value is always in liters and all calculation are done in liters inside the app, the only point when this value is converted is when user asks how much fuel is left, or the app reports something like "½ a gallon left", Or when asking to be refueled using gallons as unit.

There is an option to overwrite the build in hard coded values, its called "Enable tight fuel calculations", if this option is enabled the app will use a user defined value called "Additional fuel to add to finish the race" this value can be both liters and gallons and depends if "Fuel reports in gallons" is selected

CRReid
25-08-2018, 03:06
I ran out of fuel again in the VRS Zolder race ... :(

I am going to try out the enable tight fuel setting and add a couple of gallons and go from there ... thanks for the suggestion ... :)

Sparten
26-08-2018, 11:50
We are going to make some changes to this calculation in the next update, so instead of setting a fixed amount of liters or gallons in
"Additional fuel to add to finish the race" it will be "Additional fuel to add to finish the race (number of laps worth)", the value can be in both whole or fractions of a lap(s).

"Enable tight fuel calculations" will be removed but setting another value then "0" to
"Additional fuel to add to finish the race (number of laps worth)" will have the same effect as having it enabled.

Jake
13-09-2018, 21:51
Please fix this asap. I just went from 7th place to last place on the second or third last lap because crew chief didn't give me enough fuel. IMSA, Porsche, Watkins.

mr_belowski
14-09-2018, 12:10
this is very puzzling. The fuel calculation code does have some issues in the current live build but these are (mostly) accumulating rounding errors that happen because we're rounding the intermediate calculations 'up'. So this means the current fuel code is usually over-filling, not under-filling.

One possibility is changing average fuel use. The fuel calculation is based on your recent laps consumption. So if you're fuel saving as you reach your pitstop, the app will assume your fuel use over the last few laps is an accurate reflection of your fuel use for the remainder of the race, and so will under-fuel in these circumstances. I'll have a think about it

[edit]

i'm making a bit of an assumption here but as i can't see what else could have caused this, i've changed the 'auto refuelling' calculation to use the overall session average consumption rather than the recent average consumption. This will be in the next release

deloosem
23-09-2018, 10:50
How about adding a voice option "Chief... restart fuel calculation" or "pitstop add fuel use last laps" and "pitstop add fuel race average"

You get my drift..Something like this :)

WhipDiddyWhip
27-09-2018, 12:20
can you make CC just take your 3 highest fuel usage laps? say like lap 3, lap 9 and lap 14 are your highest used fuel, can it not take them 3 to calculate the needed fuel? in iracing its very common for ppl to lift and coast to save fuel, especially the closer you get to a pit stop, taking the 3 highest instead of the 3 most recent laps would solve this

Davey_Rocket
11-10-2018, 03:52
I don't think they need to change too much, been using it for 6 months and have never fallen short of fuel. I always use litres!

Scott McIntyre
05-11-2018, 14:18
I had issues with CC v4.9.5.7 under-filling fuel during Pro Mazda at Watkins Glen races last week. These 40 minute races only needed an extra 3-5 liters of fuel to finish.

The majority of the time it worked okay if I pitted late in the race (i.e. lap 18 of 22), but if I decided to do my fuel stop early (i.e. lap 4 or 5) it would pretty much always under-fill. This was unfortunate as it really limited my pit stop strategy. :(

Note, this was even with the "Additional fuel to add to finish the race" set to 1.

mr_belowski
06-11-2018, 08:25
I'm speculating here, but this might be due to the opening lap(s) having lower fuel consumption than later laps - standing (or rolling) start, slowing down for traffic, more drafting, etc. So the average consumption figure at this point is not necessarily an accurate reflection of the average consumption for the whole race. It's a tricky one to get right. I'll have a think about it, but as the app can't really know the impact of track conditions on fuel consumption I might just have to add an additional 5% or something to the consumption calculation if it's in the first 3 or 4 laps of the race.

Another compounding factor is that small errors will be greatly amplified by the relatively small amount of fuel you're adding - if the app is short by just 1 litre, that's one quarter of the total amount it should be adding.

If you pit in the middle of the race do you get the right amount of fuel?

mr_belowski
06-11-2018, 09:53
OK, slight change of plan.

The app collects the fuel consumption for each lap. Normally, we'd use the overall average of these per-lap consumption values, discarding the first lap. In cases where we want to calculate fuel and have plenty of per-lap consumption values, this makes sense (the lap-to-lap variability will tend to cancel out). In cases where we have few per-lap consumption values (like in your example - pitting on lap 4 or 5), then the lap-to-lap variability will (potentially) have a big impact on the consumption average. So if the number of per-lap consumption figures is low (<5) it's probably safer to take the max consumption figure in that set, rather than the average.

The risk here is that you have a lap that's got very high consumption (a big 'off' followed by digging yourself out of the gravel, for example). Not much we can do here - the app will over-fill. But it's better than under-filling I think

mr_belowski
08-11-2018, 11:52
today's release has this change - if there isn't much historic consumption data the app bases its estimates on the highest per-lap fuel consumption. Hope it improves things

Randy1
15-11-2018, 22:07
IMSA at Sebring using a Ford 2017 GT is really close on fuel. CC said I was running on fumes so I backed off. This was my second race with CC and both were very close on fuel. I do have CC auto update on.

Really good program.

CRReid
15-11-2018, 23:36
I run the Porsche in IMSA with the "fuel to end" enabled. I find at Sebring this week I had fuel two extra laps and at end of race I had 1.6 laps estimated. Getting close. Better to be a bit over than short that is for sure. LOL ....

I'm going to experiment with 1 lap extra ... then it may be right on. :)

Randy1
16-11-2018, 02:19
I run the Porsche in IMSA with the "fuel to end" enabled. I find at Sebring this week I had fuel two extra laps and at end of race I had 1.6 laps estimated. Getting close. Better to be a bit over than short that is for sure. LOL ....

I'm going to experiment with 1 lap extra ... then it may be right on. :)

My Ford reported a half lap left on fuel at the checker. As you know, if timing of the leader is just at the race timers end then you can end up with nearly two laps extra.

Is there a place in CC to add a lap on fuel calac?

Scott McIntyre
17-11-2018, 13:15
If you pit in the middle of the race do you get the right amount of fuel?
Sorry for the late reply.... With CC v4.9.5.7, even if I pitted mid-race (lap 10 or 11 of 22), I would be sputtering across the finish line even with the "Additional fuel to add to finish the race" set to 1.

I experimented with increasing "Additional fuel to add to finish the race" to as high as 3 laps, but it did not make any difference. I'd still be short on fuel. The only time my fuel worked out perferctly was when I'd run the tank down to empty, then pit on the last possible lap.

Could setting fuel reports to gallons be causing a bug?

I've since updated to CC v4.9.5.8, but have yet to run any more races requiring fuel stops. Will test again on week 12.

Randy1
19-11-2018, 22:03
Ran an IMSA race today after the update. I did not quite understand the change notice description but the fuel to the end worked perfectly.

Thank you for the fix.

RacerX
03-01-2019, 11:00
Just for Info:

Normally the "pitstop fuel to the end" function worked fine for me, but in one race this week at LeMans Series on the Nordschleife in the Ferrari it did not add the right amount. However, it was not my first race, so I got suspecious and asked him "how is my fuel?" and there I got the right amount, so I was able to correct him. 13 were added instead of 34 liters.

yaSteve
17-01-2019, 13:28
Sorry, not working yet. Version 4.9.6.2

I have iRacing set to display gallons.

Additional fuel to add to finish was set to 0.5 laps.

Fuel per lap calc was pretty close.

I was filled one lap short. This really hurt bad. I was approaching top 10 in a 34 car field. Zandvoort and Pro Mazda. Had to pit a second time to finish.

Randy1
18-01-2019, 02:20
Sorry, not working yet. Version 4.9.6.2

I have iRacing set to display gallons.

Additional fuel to add to finish was set to 0.5 laps.

Fuel per lap calc was pretty close.

I was filled one lap short. This really hurt bad. I was approaching top 10 in a 34 car field. Zandvoort and Pro Mazda. Had to pit a second time to finish.

I set it to add a full lap since if time is ends just after the leader passes the finish line and and you are near a lap down, it could be and easy 2 more laps.

One more thing if connection is lost for a brief time it can really though off the fuel you to the end calculation.

yaSteve
18-01-2019, 13:25
I set it to add a full lap since if time is ends just after the leader passes the finish line and and you are near a lap down, it could be and easy 2 more laps.

One more thing if connection is lost for a brief time it can really though off the fuel you to the end calculation.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It's unfortunate there's no way to verify until in an actual race needing a pit stop (that I know of).

Christian Frank
25-01-2019, 14:16
Sorry if asking in the wrong thread but is it possible to get more fuel info. When I push the designated button CC tells me that I for example use 1.9 L per lap. Is it possible to get more info like 1.942 l per lap ?