PDA

View Full Version : Relative Time Issue

GConaway
25-09-2020, 18:30
since the newest update the spotter has been telling the wrong time of the person ahead and behind. he will say a time of 2 minutes ahead when they are like 1.8 seconds of something like 2 seconds behind but they are .04 seconds. everything else seems to be working fine

Joshimuz
28-09-2020, 16:50
I've been having this problem since I think Season 4 started? But it could have originated from before that.
It's a very strange issue. I'll ask Crew Chief (or he'll tell me himself) the gap ahead/behind, and instead of responding with an amount and then a unit of time ("12, seconds"), he says seeming random numbers like "2, 26" and no unit of measurement. It's not a "Max Cars" issue either because if I ask again straight away he sometimes gives the correct time and it happens in even very small sessions.
While streaming it and talking about the issue, some people in my chat thought that he could be reading my fuel usage per lap? But I'm not sure how true this is.

Also this seems to be a widespread issue, as I've seen loads of other streamers/youtubers with the exact same issue, if it helps I can try to find some timestamps for instances of it, but not sure if it's worth the effort since the issue should be easily reproduceable.

mr_belowski
28-09-2020, 18:06
I don't play iRacing but Morten's not noticed the app doing this. Do you have a log for this session in Documents\CrewChiefV4\debugLogs\ ? Post it here if you do, it might be helpful

Joshimuz
28-09-2020, 20:17
Yeah sure, I just did a race now and it happened during it. It happens quite frequently so I can try to collect more logs of it if needs be.
I also got a video of it happening: https://clips.twitch.tv/AttractiveMotionlessIguanaPermaSmug
And here are the logs: https://pastebin.com/WF1tTPTf

The bit in the video is at 19:46:43.706 in the logs, the only things I can see of note are that Jim doesn't have a sound for the opponent's name (but I think it happens regardless of this?) and that it doesn't log how to say the gap, whereas when I ask right after it logs how to say 15 seconds.

mr_belowski
28-09-2020, 21:11
Interesting. So when you made the voice command was the answer (15 seconds) about right?

The app is choosing to derive the gap at the last minute, just before the message is read (rather than when it's queued). It can do this if the message queue is long, to prevent the queued message being stale by the time it's read. It sounds like the app is actually getting the last laptime rather than the gap when it does this. I'll dig into the code there, it's possible that I've just miss-tagged the message payload and it's telling the delayed resolution code to insert the wrong information

Joshimuz
28-09-2020, 21:31
Interesting. So when you made the voice command was the answer (15 seconds) about right?

Yeah 15 seconds was the right amount. But alright thanks for looking into it.

GConaway
28-09-2020, 21:58

The app is choosing to derive the gap at the last minute, just before the message is read (rather than when it's queued). It can do this if the message queue is long, to prevent the queued message being stale by the time it's read. It sounds like the app is actually getting the last laptime rather than the gap when it does this. I'll dig into the code there, it's possible that I've just miss-tagged the message payload and it's telling the delayed resolution code to insert the wrong information

mine was doing the same thing. know that i think about it the time do seem like its giving the last lap rather than the relative gap

mr_belowski
29-09-2020, 10:38
we've identified the cause of this issue. Unfortunately it's not as simple as I'd hoped. I think it's fixable but it's actually caused by the game not sending data for opponent cars for brief periods, so we'll have to implement some interpolation of opponent timing data to fill the gaps. You're hearing weird opponent gaps because the app has stale (1 lap old) data for the time at which the opponent car last reached the point on the track where you are.

We're working on it :)

Joshimuz
29-09-2020, 21:41
Awesome, thanks

mr_belowski
30-09-2020, 10:09
i've packaged up a beta version with this fix - it can be downloaded here:

http://crewchief.isnais.de/CrewChiefV4-4.13.1.4_beta.msi

Joshimuz
30-09-2020, 21:54
I tried it for two races around Spa and it does indeed seem to be fixed, thanks!

Masternoob
02-10-2020, 10:56
I'm still getting wrong timings, interpolation can only do so much i'm afraid.
The inaccurate times create a lot of foolowup problems like crew chief telling me that an opponent is catching when in reality he lost time in the last few seconds.

Is this something iracing can/need to fix on their end?
Wouldn't this be something that effects all telemetry apps? Strangely enough i see no thread for this problem anywhere in the iracing forums.

Masternoob
17-10-2020, 08:13
I'm beginning to suspect that i have another problem here. The times that crewchief tells me are consistently miles off.
For example, CC tells me my sector 1 time is 1 second off when my whole lap time is just a few tenths off.
Are the iracing or CC settings that can cause this?

Masternoob
30-10-2020, 09:25
For anyone coming here looking for a solution.
Since this is an iRacing problem i created a thread in their forum.
I guess we can only comment there and hope that iRacing will take a look and fix the issue.

https://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/0/3775061.page#12261653