PDA

View Full Version : latest version of crewchief does not open on my PC

demaarten79
28-07-2017, 06:38
Hello,

I downloaded the crew chief installer and installed it on 2 pc's and it does not open.

If I use the 4.6.6.4 installer it works fine.

I think there is something wrong with the latest update...

I am using Windows 10 64 bit

thanks

Maarten

The Iron Wolf
28-07-2017, 07:25
Maarten, how are you starting the new version?

One thing I can think of is that if you pinned CC to start menu, when you install new version, you'll have to re-pin it (search from start again or launch directly from program files). Clicking the old link won't work.

mr_belowski
28-07-2017, 07:52
Someone on Discord suggested that this may be a "feature" of the Windows 10 creator's update and can be disabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJRFcWkpY7o

[edit]

you're quite right, there *is* something seriously wrong with version 4.7.7.8, but it only fails when there's no sound pack installed. It's trying to read the contents of folder [AppData]/Local/CrewChiefV4/sounds/voices/ in order to work out which spotter voices to add to the list. If this folder doesn't yet exist it fails.

I've fixed it with the latest update. Unfortunately for users affected by this issue, they may have to re-download the installer because I don't think the auto-updater will run before the app crashes

Reiche
04-08-2017, 08:49
I guess I just had the same issue.

The app did an update (not sure which version, edit: guessing it's 4.7.8.1), after then it opened fine once, but crashed as I hit the "Start" button (complete freeze of my system). After that, nothing happened when I double-clicked the app's shortcut. Downloaded the latest version from the forum front page, uninstalled old version, installed this version.. same result

4.7.7.9 seems to work, also 4.7.8.0

mr_belowski
04-08-2017, 08:56
can you go to the windows Event Viewer and under Windows Logs, then Application, look for a .Net error and post what you find please

Ta

:)

Reiche
04-08-2017, 12:58

Reiche
04-08-2017, 14:34

Reiche
04-08-2017, 14:36
From a first look, the following looked pretty much identical to the ones I uploaded. If any of them is of interest for you,
I can upload them, too.

The Iron Wolf
04-08-2017, 14:38
Can you try renaming this folder? c:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Britton_IT_Ltd\

Note it is hidden.

Reiche
04-08-2017, 15:33
Tried it, it's starting now with 4.7.8.1 updated via in-game option.

mr_belowski
04-08-2017, 16:28
Hmm... I'll have a look at the settings upgrade process and make it more resilient. Perhaps delete the settings entirely if the update call fails, if that's possible (it might all be internal .net magic)

The Iron Wolf
04-08-2017, 17:14
I am not familiar with this part deeply, but would it help if Reiche sent us his old settings for repro? (assuming he hasn't deleted them?)

mr_belowski
04-08-2017, 17:29
Yes, it might - if you still have it, can you zip the Britton_IT_Ltd folder up and upload it somewhere?

mr_belowski
05-08-2017, 21:45
Thanks for the info here Reiche. The next version of the app will attempt to delete this folder automatically (and prompt the user to restart the app) if it can't process the settings file. It's not a great solution but it should help when users find themselves unable to run the app after an update

Reiche
05-08-2017, 21:51
http://www.mediafire.com/file/aqt4lzaihvvz3bg/Britton_IT_Ltd_b.7z

Sorry I didn't get back to the thread earlier, it's easy to forget about issues if everything's working fine again ;)

Edit: Just saw your latest post: You're welcome, I'm glad if I could help. A very big thanks to you for creating and maintaining such a great and now essential app :)

mr_belowski
06-08-2017, 11:05
just tested the latest beta version of the app (4.7.8.3 - see Beta Test thread) using your settings file and it triggered the new code which deletes and recreated the users settings. So it would have reset all your options to their default values, but at least it would have allowed the app to start. So we're making progress here - I'll see what specific setting is breaking it

Reiche
08-08-2017, 18:01
A small heads up:
No idea what happens "behind the scenes", but.. I installed the latest beta version and couldn't get the chief to talk to me while racing (read as: actually I was just too lazy to have a look at the properties). I then copied the backed up Briton_IT_Ltd folder into the new one, confirmed replacing the files and was expecting the app to reset/not work or something like that - but instead, the app started just as it should and the Chief was talking to me in game (just did a very quick check leaving the pits without any controller connected, but he told me about the cold tires/brakes/didn't pay attention to what he said, but he was talking).

Andreas Hurricane
11-08-2017, 14:54
Hi,

i have Problems installing the latest Version.
The Errormessage is: "Error 2503. Called Runscript when not marked in Progress."
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks in Advance and sorry for my bad english, im german.

Andreas Hurricane
12-08-2017, 09:54
Cool...
so many Answers!!!
Nice Help -.-

mr_belowski
12-08-2017, 12:45
Cool...
so many Answers!!!
Nice Help -.-

So much patience, nice post.

I'm having a day out with my kids so the free support for the free application you downloaded for free may be a little lacking.

There'll be a new release soon, the current installer works fine for everyone else - try downloading it again or googling for the error message and helping yourself before expecting others to do it for you

[edit]

I also replied to your post on the Project Cars forum asking the same question, 4 days ago. So why are you being a sarcastic bell end?

Andreas Hurricane
12-08-2017, 16:43
Hi,

so...this was too much, i will apologize for my last Post.
Kids are @ 1st Place everytime, also Family :)
Again, im sorry for my rough Tone.

I told u the Errorcode cause i thought, u as the Author know, what this Number will say.
Im not a Programmer :-S
Every Version of the Program works fine, i think that the Problem is at another Point:
Some Day's ago my OS (Win10 64bit) had an Update.
I tryed setting the System back to a Point before this #!@&%$#!!-Update because the new Driver for my Wheel was not good for me (and some other things too).
But this superior Update will not set back 100% and so i had Problems with more than one Program.

I really like and appreciate your Program!!

Sorry again for my last Post.
I hope my english is good enough to understand what i will say^^

Have a nice Day

jasa
28-09-2017, 15:42
thanks for the information. I got the same problem

The Iron Wolf
28-09-2017, 17:39
please check FAQ #1 how to completely uninstall/reinstall CC.
http://thecrewchief.org/showthread.php?28-F-a-q

inthebagbud
29-09-2017, 18:33
I have started experiencing sound issues with the latest version. Everything will fire up ok and work but after 5/10 minutes both CC and windows sound hangs and stops working. A restart is only way to fix but the issue comes back again. I have not had time to do a full run through on repo but thought I would give the heads up that there may be an issue which has only started this week (I think)

I will delete and download again but will not be able to check again for a week or so

Thanks

mr_belowski
29-09-2017, 21:42
Very odd. The sound playing component hasn't changed for ages