PDA

View Full Version : Crew Chief Doesn't Hear My Commands

TurboDodson
07-12-2019, 16:37
I started up iRacing again after a three month break including the CrewChief. Everything is running fine except when I give a voice command the the Crew Chief always says he didn't understand what I said as if it can't hear me.

I did not have this issue until I picked the game up recently. Any ideas on how to fix the issue?

Ruckerhardt
14-12-2019, 20:24
I have this exact same issue. I know my speech recognition works, because I'm using it right now to respond to this thread. But for whatever reason, crew chief does not recognize my voice. It just responds and says "can't hear you" or "say again." I can't figure out for the life and what I'm doing wrong.

James_e_Vining
31-12-2019, 00:18
So when you ask "can you hear me" it does not? or replies say again or your breaking up?
I found if the volume on mic is to high (especially mic boost) it has issues understanding you. I use mine daily and it works awesome though I found out by trial and error the Mic boost and mic volume issue.
Plus if it does respond that it can hear you then double check that you are phrasing the commands correctly, (like "whats the track temp" not "what is the temp" or "what temp is the track" etc.

SloweyGonzalez
31-12-2019, 19:24
I'm having an issue where Crew Chief can hear me fine until I am actually in the sim and then it cannot. I'm using the 'press and hold button' setting and the button I have assigned is not assigned to anything else in iRacing. When I hold the button, the console reports that it is listening, but it doesn't seem to get any audio. As soon as I leave the sim it works fine again.

SloweyGonzalez
31-12-2019, 21:39
I'm having an issue where Crew Chief can hear me fine until I am actually in the sim and then it cannot. I'm using the 'press and hold button' setting and the button I have assigned is not assigned to anything else in iRacing. When I hold the button, the console reports that it is listening, but it doesn't seem to get any audio. As soon as I leave the sim it works fine again.

My issue appears to be intermittent. It was working fine in a test session for a while until I entered the pits, then it could no longer hear me for the rest of the session.

James_e_Vining
01-01-2020, 06:26
My issue appears to be intermittent. It was working fine in a test session for a while until I entered the pits, then it could no longer hear me for the rest of the session.

That may be different then what I ran into but it real close, except It could understand me fine when in pits, in the Garage, or sitting on pit road ready to hit track , but on occasion when I was up to speed, running in a pack or around other cars it all of a sudden stopped understanding me ( I say Understanding rather then hearing as it was getting the audio fine, the problem I was talking so much louder then normal (due to sim sound) that I was clipping the mic and/Or Overloading the input.
I realized that as every time it happened in the session I was told by Girl Friend It sounded to her (Over Her TV in a separate room behind 2 closed doors I was yelling at the computer ( She does not race nor really understands how this works so she always asks why I am talking to the computer so much ( well now after some months she understands this feature a bit)
SO I went and reset the Mic Boost and the Mic Volume so that when I am talking to it (in sound options so I can see the volume bar) I set it so that it has 1-2 bars instead of 1/2 the bar meter like normal. Lately it seems that it is understanding me about 80% of time and if it does not I realize to lower my voice a little and it understands me fine.

1 Other thing I just realized too, on my old Laptop I used until 3 weeks ago for no reason what so ever my Mic input on my Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB , would stop working until I disconnected and reconnected USB, it would do this at very random times but like 2-10 times a day , now though it seems to have no problems at all (NEW Desktop, New Windows Install and all New Drivers may have solved this issue.

SloweyGonzalez
01-01-2020, 16:47
That may be different then what I ran into but it real close, except It could understand me fine when in pits, in the Garage, or sitting on pit road ready to hit track , but on occasion when I was up to speed, running in a pack or around other cars it all of a sudden stopped understanding me ( I say Understanding rather then hearing as it was getting the audio fine, the problem I was talking so much louder then normal (due to sim sound) that I was clipping the mic and/Or Overloading the input.
I realized that as every time it happened in the session I was told by Girl Friend It sounded to her (Over Her TV in a separate room behind 2 closed doors I was yelling at the computer ( She does not race nor really understands how this works so she always asks why I am talking to the computer so much ( well now after some months she understands this feature a bit)
SO I went and reset the Mic Boost and the Mic Volume so that when I am talking to it (in sound options so I can see the volume bar) I set it so that it has 1-2 bars instead of 1/2 the bar meter like normal. Lately it seems that it is understanding me about 80% of time and if it does not I realize to lower my voice a little and it understands me fine.

1 Other thing I just realized too, on my old Laptop I used until 3 weeks ago for no reason what so ever my Mic input on my Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB , would stop working until I disconnected and reconnected USB, it would do this at very random times but like 2-10 times a day , now though it seems to have no problems at all (NEW Desktop, New Windows Install and all New Drivers may have solved this issue.

Sounds like very different issues then. It doesn't get any input from me at all. When I ask if it can hear me I don't get any kind of response, just silence. Seems to be happening every session I'm in too. Works fine for a while, then nothing.

Maybe I should post this in the PC support forum? I don't have any other sims to test it with so I really don't know if this has anything to do with iRacing at all.

James_e_Vining
01-01-2020, 17:19
Oh it is not receiving the Push to talk signal then as it should (Beep unless you have that off) say it cannot understand you or some comment.
If your getting nothing then it is not even receiving the signal to listen to you.
One other thing I thought of, you can also look at the displayed text there on the app and compare times when it was working to when it quit in a session and see if maybe there are any errors, That will also keep track of any thing that crew chief is misunderstanding and what it thinks you are saying. I used that a lot at first to realize I was not using correct phrasing when requesting tire PSI changes or track data or other driver info etc.

SloweyGonzalez
01-01-2020, 20:38
Sparten got me sorted out on Discord. In case anyone else stumbles across this thread with the same problem:

Right click speaker in system tray
Open sound settings
open input (mic) device properties
click "additional device properties" (right side, under "Related Settings")
Open "advanced" tab in the new window
uncheck "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

Mark Pickford
02-01-2020, 15:33
I have been struggling with CC not understanding a word I say, for months. It used to understand me just me just fine. I’m looking forward to trying your fix Sloweygonzales, later tonight.

I’ll also try turning my Mic level down as James suggests.

Cheers

SloweyGonzalez
02-01-2020, 17:50
I have been struggling with CC not understanding a word I say, for months. It used to understand me just me just fine. I’m looking forward to trying your fix Sloweygonzales, later tonight.

Cheers

Unfortunately my fix will not make it understand you any better. It will only help an issue where CC is not receiving your voice at all. I'm still having quite a bit of trouble balancing mic volume and my voice volume to keep it in a range it understands. It seems like a very narrow range and at best it understands me about half the time. And I have a good quality headset that sounds crystal clear everywhere else.

James_e_Vining
02-01-2020, 18:28
Just curious are you using the Windows Speech recognition ( the one where you can teach it by going through a teaching process)or the one where you download a file?
Since they updated the App with the ability to use Windows Speech Recognition the app's ability to understand me has improved Dramatically,
Prior to that update I may have been understood 1 out of 8 attempts, now it may not understand me 1 out of 20, if I repeat request either quieter or being sure to speak clear it works great.
I have found every issue it has with not understanding me is due to me, either I am talking way to loud, have Mic in bad spot where it hits my Goatee, or I am using incorrect phrasing when asking for data or giving it a specific command.
I have not done this yet on my New Gaming Desktop I had to get 12-9-19 but on previous one I went and opened Notepad then I took all the pit commands, and other commands I wanted to use and I had the Speech Recognition program add all the phrases to the notepad then I saved it as SRE commands and saved it in the documents/Crew Chief Folder. I may have better results if I do that again, as if I recall the app was never not recognizing me after I did that on old computer unless I hit button and said nothing or forgot what I was trying to ask in middle of asking it.
SUpposedly the SRE is supposed to learn from documents adn emails if you allow it to use those items ( I believe I read that someplace anyway.

Sparten
03-01-2020, 05:14
@Mark Pickford & @SloweyGonzalez There is an option to select the windows build in voice recognition in the properties "prefer windows speech recogniser" this option has hugely improved recognition for me as it benefits from the windows voice training.

Mark Pickford
03-01-2020, 08:54
@James: I think I’m using windows (I’m on win10 1903, fully up to date), but I recall downloading a file from a thread on these forums, when previously trying to improve CC. I have also trained windows by running through the reading text setup routine.

@Spartan, thanks, I’ll check that option and report back today.

Sparten
03-01-2020, 10:39
7 posts and still no cat memes, I feel cheated. :)

Mark Pickford
03-01-2020, 15:54
7 posts and still no cat memes, I feel cheated. :)

Mark Pickford
03-01-2020, 23:41
@Mark Pickford & @SloweyGonzalez There is an option to select the windows build in voice recognition in the properties "prefer windows speech recogniser" this option has hugely improved recognition for me as it benefits from the windows voice training.

I may be going mad, but where exactly do I select either windows voice recognition engine, or the microsft one? I see it mentioned under 'help' but can't see exactly wherev to choose?

TIA

Sparten
04-01-2020, 04:15
In the top left right corner of the properties form is a search box, type in "speech" and you should see a checkbox where it says "prefer windows speech recogniser"

soda can
04-01-2020, 16:33
My issue is this: When I open Crew Chief voice command up it works just fine UNTIL I get into a race then all the voioce command stuff shuts off like I never turned it on. Crew Chief is still on and the spotter is still spotting but communication between the crew chief and myself is no longer working as if i never turned it on in the first place. I have followed every post I could find on the subject but with no prevail. i will keep working on it but it isn't looking too promising to be honest

nobrakes76
11-01-2020, 21:18

Cheers

can someone tell me how exactly to say what´s my tire temp so that i get a response other than you´re breaking up?

MerlinC
27-02-2020, 18:21
Sparten got me sorted out on Discord. In case anyone else stumbles across this thread with the same problem:

Open sound settings

Do have issues as well that CC is not recognizing my commands although "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" is already disabled. Do have discord running in parallel but it is configured to listen only on push-to-talk which is mapped to a different button.

Any other advise is highly appreciated. Did work great in the past. Not sure what changed

Icepack
10-07-2020, 00:09
I too have the same issue. Have talk to chief mapped to a button everything works fine but once I start up Iracing it all stops working. CC seems to only recognise the PPT when it has active focus which it does not have as Iracing has it. If I click on CC when in Iracing it works but then I crash lol.

Joe231
21-08-2020, 07:35
So any time I give a command or say chief he or it goes with to beeps and doesn't respond.

I have read through this and turned down my mic but nothings working.

Thank you

Notoooriou5
29-09-2020, 13:10
I have the same issue, push to talk button just wont work no matter what i map it to.

Surely we are not the first to face this problem??

mr_belowski
29-09-2020, 15:28
If you're using Windows speech recognition (Property "prefer Windows speech recogniser" is enabled) then you need to complete the Windows speech training (all phases) using the mic you'll use while racing. The app will log attempts to make voice commands including which recogniser is doing the work, the recognition confidence and the threshold being used so it should help you track down what's going on.

The app will use the default sound recording device as configured in the Windows Sounds control panel - ensure your mic is set to be the default before starting the app.

Most commands won't work if you're not in a game session (because the app won't have data) but the "can you hear me?" command will work at any time (as long as you've started the app) - use this to check the wiring is correct

Notoooriou5
30-09-2020, 16:46
Thanks mr_belowski for the tip, I have since changed mine to prefer windows speech, done the speech training sessions a few times, and things are definitely working better for me now. A side problem for me is the mic on my astro A40 headset, barely hits 10% input volume at normal speaking volume and theres no way to increase - so I would say my problem is probably not related to crew chief itself.

The long and short of it is now it works nearly every time, just have to learn the commands a bit better

LonewolfZ
13-02-2021, 07:23
Thanks mr_belowski for the tip, I have since changed mine to prefer windows speech, done the speech training sessions a few times, and things are definitely working better for me now. A side problem for me is the mic on my astro A40 headset, barely hits 10% input volume at normal speaking volume and theres no way to increase - so I would say my problem is probably not related to crew chief itself.

The long and short of it is now it works nearly every time, just have to learn the commands a bit better Can the voice commands be seen as a overlay in VR please? I have poor memory.

Seigaku
07-03-2021, 16:08
With old versions of Crew chief, he could understand me %90 of the times, since a year ago or so with newer versions, he only understands %20 of the times, having to keep repeating myself till he does.

meff
04-04-2021, 15:07
I have spent most of my day trying to get CC to hear me. I am using a Razor blackshark V2 with synapse. I have read about every thread I can find, and tried every setting, uninstall/reinstall of CC, drivers, changed USB ports, changed mic gain, etc... I am out of answers and frustrated I can not use all of the cool features of CC. If anyone can see anything a miss in the below log, let me know.

Loading screen opened
22:51:36.684 : Set iRacing mode from previous launch
22:51:36.686 : Starting app. Version: 4.15.2.3
22:51:36.808 : Device name: Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio) Guid: {0.0.0.00000000}.{5cd1d763-7c16-4937-886e-d83c7675be78} DeviceWaveId 1
22:51:36.808 : Device name: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek(R) Audio) Guid: {0.0.0.00000000}.{d0f5a002-e3d5-49f2-9e09-5ba908f57a4c} DeviceWaveId 2
22:51:36.809 : Device name: Speakers (Razer USB Sound Card) Guid: {0.0.0.00000000}.{d789fb47-eaf4-4f22-9dc0-366d7bfbfb4e} DeviceWaveId 0
22:51:36.809 : Device name: Speakers (THX Spatial Audio) Guid: {0.0.0.00000000}.{e33ca82e-4f38-4d57-be6e-c5b682a33cc2} DeviceWaveId 3
22:51:36.809 : Detected saved message audio output device: Speakers (THX Spatial Audio)
22:51:36.809 : Detected saved background audio output device: Speakers (THX Spatial Audio)
22:51:36.842 : Device name: Microphone (Razer USB Sound Card) Guid: {0.0.1.00000000}.{bcd96a57-14e3-426d-9ee3-9b59569df386} DeviceWaveId 0
22:51:36.842 : Detected saved audio input device: Microphone (Razer USB Sound Card)
22:51:36.911 : nAudio output interface: WAVEOUT
22:51:36.929 : Using sound pack version 185, driver names version 140 and personalisations version 147
22:51:36.935 : Preparing sound effects
22:51:36.937 : Prepare sound effects completed
22:51:36.937 : Preparing driver names
22:51:36.965 : Prepare driver names completed
22:51:36.966 : Preparing personalisations for selected name John
22:51:36.969 : Spotter Jim (default) has oval-specific sounds - these will be used for tracks marked as 'oval'
22:51:36.970 : Prepare personalisations completed
22:51:36.972 : Preparing voice messages
22:51:37.159 : Prepare voice message completed
22:51:37.160 : Finished preparing sounds cache, found 9990 driver names and 3020 sound sets. Loaded 426 message sounds
22:51:37.160 : 324 sounds have personalisations
22:51:37.220 : Reading driver name mappings
22:51:37.221 : Read 2164 driver name mappings
22:51:37.221 : Reading driver name mappings
22:51:37.222 : Read 422 driver name mappings
22:51:37.269 : Loading controller settings
22:51:37.269 : Load controller settings complete
22:51:37.274 : got language codes data countryToUse = "", langToUse = "en" langAndCountryToUse = ""
22:51:37.306 : Successfully initialised preferred System SRE
22:51:37.309 : Attempting to get recogniser for en
22:51:37.309 : Got SRE for en-US
22:51:37.315 : Speech engine initialized successfully.
22:51:37.315 : Attempted to initialise speech engine - success = True
22:51:37.411 : Device Connected - Name: "Driving: FANATEC Podium Wheel Base DD2" GUID: "1ee970a0-61a7-11eb-8006-444553540000"
22:51:37.416 : Device Connected - Name: "Driving: FANATEC Podium Wheel Base DD2" GUID: "1eebe1a0-61a7-11eb-8007-444553540000"
22:51:37.417 : Device Connected - Name: "Keyboard" GUID: "6f1d2b61-d5a0-11cf-bfc7-444553540000"
22:51:37.435 : Loading screen closed
22:51:37.442 : Checking for updates
22:51:37.768 : Took 0.61s to lazy load remaining message sounds, there are now 9443 loaded message sounds
22:51:37.768 : Skipped 101 sweary sounds
22:51:38.215 : Got update data from primary URL:
22:51:38.219 : Check for updates completed

Any help would be appreciated!

mr_belowski
20-06-2021, 09:51
from the log, the speech recogniser has been successfully initialised so that part of the wiring / setup is OK. The issue is likely to be on the audio input side. CC will use the Windows default sound recording device (in the "sounds" control panel's Recording tab, ensure your microphone is set to the be default device - i.e. the only one with a green tick, restart CC after changing this). You may also need to tell Windows to allow apps to access your microphone - last time i checked this was in the Security settings page in the windows Settings app, but MS have a habit of moving stuff around

Dan Morera
23-06-2021, 02:20

Open sound settings

I been having the same problems since a couple of days ago, mid session CC just stops listening to me, I checked my settings and I got that unchecked already. I either have to restart cc in order to listen to me again, teh problem is there is no shortcut for that
any ideas?

wolf911
14-09-2023, 15:58

Open sound settings

I have tried this and still no joy

James_e_Vining
15-09-2023, 03:56
I have noticed if windows changes (Yes has done this many times to me) the Mic boost or volume it could be overloading the Input causing crew chief to not understand. Try asking can you hear me really soft (Almost a Wisper) I have had this happen to me probably every 3rd time I am on iRacing. just for reference with my Wired Headset (Sennheiser fairly old) I have the boost set at +20 and the mic volume at 55% it seems low in other apps but is the setting i get the best results from CC with. As soon as I get the response Did not catch that etc. I try asking can you hear me in a loud voice as well as soft as I mentioned and usually by the 3rd attempt CC acknowledges me

I hope this helps as I find CC to be a very useful app that now I feel really funny running if i forget to start it.