PDA

View Full Version : Question about names.txt file

JP_Amaya
05-06-2017, 02:14
First of all, thank you for a fantastic add on...amazing job!!!

I have a question regarding the names.txt file. I had been creating my own name recordings for our league. I was using the names.txt file to do the mapping and it was working fine. Now we do not get the names to be played anymore. I checked the names.txt file and I see is a different format now and I see other txt files there. Can you please tell me which file is the application currently using to do the mapping and which format should I use? I am sorry if this has been answered already. I looked around in the forum and I could not find anything.

Thanks, Juan

mr_belowski
05-06-2017, 10:36
there are 2 name mapping files - names.txt and additional_names.txt. The application loads both of these files and they have exactly the same format -
in-game-name:sound-file-name

For project cars I'm mr_belowski, and there's a sound file called belowski.wav. So the entry for my name is
mr_belowski:belowski

names.txt appears only in the base driver name package. Additional_names.txt appears in the update driver names package. This means that additional_names.txt will be overwritten each time driver names are updated, but names.txt will *not* be updated. So where users want to add their own mappings, names.txt is the right file to edit.

The format of these files hasn't changed for ages, but it's certainly possible that I've made a mistake somewhere and broken something.

From your description it sounds like you've done it all correctly. Can you post the contents of your names.txt (in AppData/local/CrewChiefV4/sounds/drivernames/)

JP_Amaya
05-06-2017, 13:19
there are 2 name mapping files - names.txt and additional_names.txt. The application loads both of these files and they have exactly the same format -
in-game-name:sound-file-name

For project cars I'm mr_belowski, and there's a sound file called belowski.wav. So the entry for my name is

names.txt appears only in the base driver name package. Additional_names.txt appears in the update driver names package. This means that additional_names.txt will be overwritten each time driver names are updated, but names.txt will *not* be updated. So where users want to add their own mappings, names.txt is the right file to edit.

The format of these files hasn't changed for ages, but it's certainly possible that I've made a mistake somewhere and broken something.

From your description it sounds like you've done it all correctly. Can you post the contents of your names.txt (in AppData/local/CrewChiefV4/sounds/drivernames/)

Thank you for your quick response. My drivers name.txt looks like the file you have on google... three columns with *%* between them. The additional names.txt looks as usual..... mr_belowski:belowski.

Cheers, Juan

mr_belowski
05-06-2017, 14:07
Wow, that's completely broken - that file is an intermediate format and shouldn't be in the package. I'll fix it tonight but it may mean that some user created mappings will get deleted.

This means there'll be an auto update of driver names which just contains the fix to names.txt.

Sorry about this, and thanks for spotting it.

JP_Amaya
05-06-2017, 15:13
No worries. I have a separate file with all the names in it so I could just copy/paste at the end of the names.txt file in case of the file being overwritten or damaged, so no harm done... :D

Happy to help.

JP_Amaya
06-06-2017, 13:38
Excellent, thank you for the quick fix. I did not have a chance to fully test it but I see that the names are now being mapped.

Quick question, I saw that some of the names from our league are already in the name.txt or additional names.txt files. If you have duplicates, which wav file takes precedence, the one read first? Which file is read first? To avoid issues I could easily delete the duplication but then I will have to check constantly if any of the names has been added on your side.

mr_belowski
06-06-2017, 14:09
there won't be any duplication of driver name .wav files because they're all in the same folder. There can be many duplications in the names.txt and additional_names.txt files. I expect one or more in-game names to map to the same sound file name - for example
Mr Belowski:belowski
Bob Belowski:belowski
below-skeee:belowski

Where a single in-game name maps to 2 different sound files, the last one will 'win' - the application processes additional_names.txt first, then names.txt first. This means that the user-created mappings in names.txt can override the app's mappings in additional_names.txt. For example:

additional_names.txt contains:

names.txt contains:
mr_belowski:idiot

then the app will use the sound "idiot" for mr_belowski

JP_Amaya
06-06-2017, 15:46
Got it. Thank you for the great explanation.

Cheers, Juan