Thread: CC does not play voices on Vive Pro Headset.

CC does not play voices on Vive Pro Headset.

Hello everyone,
    i have a little issue, probably i've set up something wrong but i can't figure out what it is. Hope someone here can help me to sort it out.

First my setup (relevant parts imho): HTC Vive Pro with built-in headphones, GTX1080Ti, Realtek Audio (Onboard Motherboard).

Problem:
    Playing on the Vive Pro, CC doesn't seem to play the voices of chief and spotter. I can hear the radio butten being pressed.

Info:
    CC Messages playback device and Background playback device are both set to the HTC Vive output. At "Start application" i can hear the "Radio check" from the Vive Headphones loud and clear so this should be correct.
    Once ingame, all i hear is the crackling sound when radio button is pressed/released, no voice at all. Game audio plays fine on the headset.
    Countercheck on starting the game in non-VR mode, CC voices were just fine, heard them in the Vive Headset loud and clear.

tl;dr
    CC works fine just no voice in VR.

Hope someone knows what i'm doing wrong. Log shows no error so far and i'm out of ideas.

Addition:

forgot to mention i play pCars 2 but i don't suspect the game being the source of the problem. Sorry for that.

Found a solution (or should i say workaround?).

In CC i've set the "Messages playback device" to Realtek digital output, which is my regular speaker output. However, the "Background playback device" has to be set to the Vive Pro headset.
    With this, i can hear everything on the headset as expected. It is somewhat counterintuitive.

The issue could be related with the Steam VR settings. In the audio settings there i've set it to switch main audio output from Realtek to the Vive when VR is launched and back to Realtek when VR is closed. Although it's odd that it only affects one of the two audio path in CC and not both as one would expect.

Could this behaviour be related to the "Use nAudio for playback" setting (which i have enabled)?

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    It's difficult to say what the issue might be. If you allow steamvr to switch the default audio device to the vive whensteamvr starts up, and only launch crew chief *after* starting steamvr, it should work fine without having to use nAudio (which can be really buggy)

**UPDATE**

Ok, shame on me. Tried to be smart, ended up being stupid.

In the CC settings i've disabled now nAudio and everything works fine now. My initial thought was to enable nAudio so i can route the audio to the Vive headset as needed, completely forgetting that SteamVR already switches audio output to the headset automatically. So, if i would have tested CC with default settings, the problem wouldn't have had occured in the first place.

TL;DR
    Disabling nAudio solves the problem.

How or where do you disable nAudio? I have same VR VIVE and matches issues above. Thx