Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about making an official italian soundpack

I'm thinking about making an official italian soundpack

I'm a sound engineer, I got a studio, and I'm thinking about making an official italian soundpack. I know there's one already but it's really restricted and it hasn't been updated for ages.

Where do I start? What is the quickest way to do it technically? What guidelines should I follow to keep it updatable in a simple way?

Huge balls detected^^

Its a giant task, i'm sure Jim will help you out with it, but again its a massive commitment to record a soundpack for CC. I think(qoute me one it) there are more then 20k single sounds.
    Last edited by Sparten; 05-07-2018 at 17:07. Reason: qoute me one it

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    26047, to be precise. Shit. I need to get out more :|

not scared! recording the samples is the least effort for me, I'm used to record and edit in the studio! I know it's massive but I think it's doable given the right amount of months.

What I'm most worried about is how to put them together, how to account for the grammar, how to prepare a decent voice recognition and how to make it easy to update.

Quote Originally Posted by MatteAce View Post
    not scared!
    I am, Its them balls you got.

Edit:
    Better put some more text here instead of hiding.
    If you just worry about recording the sounds then i promise you we will take care of the "easy" part.
    Last edited by Sparten; 05-07-2018 at 17:40.

The grammar differences are mainly in the number reader. I did some work to support gianfranco's Italian pack by allowing for different inflection in the numbers depending on context but it was a couple of years ago.

The biggest issue was the pace that cc changes. I'm adding new stuff most weeks, which makes it hard to keep the language packs synchronised. But I'm happy to help where I can

yeah I tried to hack into Gianfranco voice recognition definition file and I’ve noticed that it’s not super easy to account for grammar when you get to the more complex phrases about who’s in front and back, etc. but surely you can do better than me!

if I were to just record the files, would you guys be okay for real with putting them together?

so... where do I start? should I open the wav directory and start re-recording them?
    what kind of procedure you followed to record them? how short do I have to cut them?

I was also thinking about using a supercardioid microphone for vocals and then low-res the result, then I thought that maybe a headset mike is better at that because no engineer is talking through an expensive microphone... how do you guys do?

also, can I prioritize the work to avoid a full release only? like we could get some core functions first to release it, and then start expanding it.

yes, the grammar is tricky but Gianfranco managed to get most of it sounding good, and I made a few code changes to support Italian grammar. I can make a few more if necessary but it does rather complicate things .

I'd be happy to support the packaging and stuff. There's some fairly basic language pack support in the app but it's not been used much and could probably do with improving, which i'm happy to do.

In terms of recording, I use an old vocal mic from when I used to dress up as Captain Kirk and sing + play in my old punk-rock 3 piece (a Shure SM58) with a little Behringer pre-amp. I record the raw sounds clean with no clipping or noise, then I cut them up and trim, normalise, compress and filter. I have an Audacity filter chain for this. The sounds are trimmed but not too tight - where a sound is going to be combined with others, I might trim it a little tighter but generally I just let the tools in Audacity detect the start and end of each audio clip and trim automatically. It's a lot easier to make a nice original sound like a convincing low-res sound so if you have decent kit, i strongly recommend using it.

Doing the work in stages is fine. Most of the 26000+ sound files are driver names or personalisations, neither of which are really needed. There are about 1000 number sounds, 4500 regular sounds (although this number includes 4 or 5 versions of each sound), and about 1500 sounds for optional additional spotter voices. So the actual number of recordings required to make a working sound pack is much lower than the 26000+ sounds in the current full set

alright then, I might really be up for the task!

where do you suggest I should start? Should I just duplicate the sounds\voice folder and start with the first subfolder?

boy it will sound weird to have myself as a spotter...

i'd probably start with the default spotter sounds (the /spotter/ folder). Then maybe the numbers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast