Thread: Beta Test Thread

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar

Beta Test Thread

http://crewchief.isnais.de/CrewChief....11.0_beta.msi

this beta includes a substantial overhaul of the nAudio playback code. This fixes some issues with the app hanging on shutdown and some other stability problems the occurred when using nAudio.

It also adds an option to playback sounds using WASAPI when using nAudio. This is a major step forward for Crew Chief - WASAPI allows for very low latency playback which makes the app feel a lot more responsive and sound more natural. It's quite surprising how a difference of only one or two tenths of a second in sound playback latency can really affect how natural the app sounds. I recommend trying nAudio Playback (enable "Use nAudio for playback") and changing the "nAudio Output Interface" option to WASAPI.

I encountered a small issue with this update which I think might have been user-error, but if the app refuses to play back sounds in nAudio mode and reports error like this:

09:57:07.498 : Exception Value does not fall within the expected range. playing sound C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\CrewChiefV4\sounds\fx\a lternate_short_start_bleep.wav stack trace at NAudio.CoreAudioApi.Interfaces.IMMDeviceEnumerator .GetDevice(String id, IMMDevice& deviceName) at NAudio.CoreAudioApi.MMDeviceEnumerator.GetDevice(S tring id) at CrewChiefV4.Audio.NAudioOutWasapi..ctor() in C:\projects\crewchief_c_sharp\CrewChiefV4\CrewChie fV4\Audio\NAudioOut.cs:line 62 at CrewChiefV4.Audio.NAudioOut.CreateOutput() in C:\projects\crewchief_c_sharp\CrewChiefV4\CrewChie fV4\Audio\NAudioOut.cs:line 18 at CrewChiefV4.Audio.SingleSound.LoadNAudioWaveOut() in C:\projects\crewchief_c_sharp\CrewChiefV4\CrewChie fV4\Audio\Sounds.cs:line 1593 at CrewChiefV4.Audio.SingleSound.LoadAndCacheSound() in C:\projects\crewchief_c_sharp\CrewChiefV4\CrewChie fV4\Audio\Sounds.cs:line 1373 at CrewChiefV4.Audio.SingleSound.PlayNAudio(Boolean isListenStartBeep) in C:\projects\crewchief_c_sharp\CrewChiefV4\CrewChie fV4\Audio\Sounds.cs:line 1538

then try changing to a different sounds playback device, then back to the one you want - this fixed it for me (but it's worth pointing out that in our internal testing only I encountered this issue)

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    New beta above

Quote Originally Posted by mr_belowski View Post
    New beta above
    Will this install as a separate program from the current CC?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy1 View Post
    Will this install as a separate program from the current CC?
    No, this will install on top of current CC. It should be safe though, because new features are optional, and you should be able to install older version on top again, if needed.