Thread: Software development question

Software development question

Hi!

Great job on the app. I've just started with Project cars 2/Racing in general, and joined a league (PCDC) who recommend CrewCheif.

I'm a software developer and was thinking of making something which can be used by the commentary team to monitor telemetry data for all drivers at the same time (maybe as simple as fuel level, tyre wear and damage percentages).

My question, assuming I had the right technical knowledge - Is this data available via the shared memory that you use for crewcheif? Wanted your opinion before diving into it too far. The idea is to have an overlay on the race director screen that's used for streaming/commentary. My concern is that this data might not be available for ALL drivers in the lobby.

Many thanks in advance.

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    The pCARS 2 API has this information only for the currently 'viewed' player. This doesn't mean it's unavailable - when you're viewing a replay or live stream this information *might* be available for the player you're watching, so you'd have to cycle through each car to get all of the participants fuel loads, for example. But you should be able to get the fuel load, tyre wear, damage etc etc of the car you're watching.

At least, that's the theory. The difference with Crew Chief is that it's reading data about the local player. This shouldn't make any difference - the API should populate this information for whoever you're watching regardless of whether that's your car or not. But I've never tested it like this and in my experience pCARS 2 has some pretty weird bugs and behaviours in its shared memory data.

I think it's worth a try - the data *should* be available, but be prepared for some headaches and expect to have to implement a few work-arounds where the behaviour isn't as you might expect.

You're welcome to borrow code for Crew Chief where you need it (but please mention it if you do).

Good luck

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I imagine I could either automatically or perhaps manually cycle through all players to get their fuel/tyre data, as it's not as immediately changeable as something like RPM. Another route i'm thinking is a small application running on players local machine which feeds it into a central location - but this has many more problems!

Thanks again