Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to collect track Corner Data

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    Can't we use track length? Where there are duplicate names add the length to the json. When getting the track data, if the match in the json has a length, this length must match (or be very close to) the length in the game's shared memory data

[Edit]

Just seen that you already suggested this. I agree that working around badly made content feels wrong

I can only guess how easy that would be for you to do but with the Daytona road and oval I seem to recall they are authored by different people so not sure we could get an agreement for one to change?
    I'm happy to collect the lap length as I map the corners where there are duplicate names for different layouts.
    For the time being I'll leave any duplicates to one side.

It's actually not difficult. Match on the name, if the resulting match has a track length in the JSON compare it to the length in the shared memory, if they don't match up keep looking for another match. I think it's worth adding this, even though strictly speaking it's not Crew Chief's problem.

Can you add another field to the JSON for these duplicates please - something like

approximateTrackLength: 1234.5

'approximate' because I'm assuming the length match won't be exact (so it can be used for other games' versions of tracks)

I'll do the code for it today

OK no problems, I'll add the three locations with duplicates that I know of this weekend.

Yes, all of this is doable - just wanted to mention that tweaking track name for unencrypted content in rF2 is fairly easy. Haven't done this in a while, but IIRC it's a matter of extracting .gdb, editing it, and merging it back. But sure, using approximate length, and picking the one with closest length will help many users

All this is *done*, not doable. Of course, that means "done" in the CrewChief sense. So, completely untested

I've mapped a few tracks recently that were historic layouts. Monaco 1966 for example. With the new realistic mode should these be flagged as pre pit radio in some way? Of course that would need a definitive date for pit radio introduction which I'm not sure I can find. 1984 seems a popular date for f1 but earlier for Indy car and earlier still for NASCAR?

I think it's better do decide this based on car rather than track but I'm open to suggestions here

You're probably right given that it would be odd to race a modern car at a historic circuit. You can after all turn CC off if needed for the full 1960s experience.

Sorry guys been busy with real life. I haven't forgotten the corner names I'll get back on it in a couple of weeks when things get back to normal. I fully intend to map all the tracks I can find in rF2.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast