Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When trying to set up Talk to Crew Chief I get an error

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

When trying to set up Talk to Crew Chief I get an error

Attempting to initialise speech recognition for user specified location en
    Unable to initialise speech engine with voice recognition pack for location en. Check that SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi and MSSpeech_SR_en_TELE.msi are installed.
    Exception message: No recognizer of the required ID found.
    Parameter name: culture
    Attempted to initialise speech engine - success = False

I have installed SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi and MSSpeech English.
    I have tried changing the speech directory to en-US and the Windows language to English US.

What am I missing here?

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    have you tried fiddling with the speech recognition locale property in the app's Properties screen? But default it's en but it's worth trying en-US

Yes, I have tried that. It gives me the same error but en-US instead of en

Attempting to initialise speech recognition for user specified location en-US
    Unable to initialise speech engine with voice recognition pack for location en-US. Check that SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi and MSSpeech_SR_en-US_TELE.msi are installed.
    Exception message: No recognizer of the required ID found.
    Parameter name: culture

I really hope I can get the app working, seems very useful for me with Oculus Rift.
    Last edited by bob; 11-11-2017 at 16:15.

That's odd. It's definitely the language pack initialisation that's failing. Do you have the en-US or en-GB pack installed? I might have got the local string wrong - 'en' should just work but in some cases you might need to specific one which I think should be en-US or en-GB but it's worth trying similar stuff like en_GB etc.

I have the en-US pack installed and the Canadian English pack installed (en-CA?).

When I try with an underscore in place of the dash I get this:

Attempting to initialise speech recognition for user specified location en_CA
    Unable to initialise speech engine with voice recognition pack for location en_CA. Check that SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi and MSSpeech_SR_en_CA_TELE.msi are installed.
    Exception message: Culture is not supported.
    Parameter name: name
    en_CA is an invalid culture identifier.

I also tried en-CA, en_US, en-GB, and en_GB.

It's very confusing to me that it doesn't work, you would think someone else would have had this problem before if it was something wrong with the application.

Lots of people have had similar issues but the solution has always been some unknown combination of uninstalling and installing language packs, and faffing with the locale string. The 'correct' config is to have only one language pack installed (en-US or en-GB) and to set the locale to 'en' (without the quotes)

Okay, I tried uninstalling all but the US pack and no luck still with either en-US or en. I also tried uninstalling the US pack as well and only installing the GB pack and no luck there either with en or en-GB.

Interestingly, when I go to windows language options it shows that the language pack and speech pack are installed, but when I try to install the GB or CA packs through windows language options it fails to download.

Originally I got the speech packs from MS website, however.

When I try to manually enter en-US in the config file rather than using the Properties window I get an error saying that I need to talk to the owner of the file in order to get permissions to edit it. Maybe that is the issue?

But it is saving the edit in Properties window on application restart, so idk.
    Last edited by bob; 11-11-2017 at 16:54.

There's a download link in the apps help file to a version of the runtime and language packs that I know work. Might be worth uninstalling these components and installing them from those links

Okay I did what you said and also installed the x86 installer rather than just the x64 and it works now!!

Thank you for the help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast