Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for future versions

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar

Ideas for future versions

Following on from a good suggestion from Vytautas, here's a thread to discuss possible (and practical) future additions to the app.

I'll get the ball rolling

Raceroom are planning to send proper yellow flag data, and should include the distance from the start line ('distance-round-track') of the incident. Using this data, I could compare it to distance-round-track of the opponents over 2 or 3 seconds and make a pretty good guess at which cars are actually involved in the incident. Then the app could say "[yellow flag in sector 2] [looks like] [Britton] [has binned it]" or something like that.

Something else I was toying with were corner name recordings - rather than just announcing the yellow flag sector, if the distance-round-track is within a certain range this might put the incident at a named section of track (e.g. "Druids" or "The Corkscrew"). The app could announce "[Yellow flag in Druids] [I think] [Britton] [has gone off] or something. To do this I'd have to pottle around in-game collecting corner distance data but that's not hard to do - I already had to do exactly that to get the Project Cars pit entry / exit locations.

Great! One thing I'd like to see is tabbed Preferences organized per game, with General section for common settings. Extra thing will be Search for preference. Would that something community would like to have?

Per corner information would be awesome. I could collect rF2 distances for couple of classic tracks, to see how well those match between games. Alternatively, it can be set in another config file.

The UI is a bit of a shambles really - especially the properties screen. Its only saving grace is that this awful UI is built from (relatively) little code, so while it looks dreadful at least it's not an unfixable ball of spaghetti code behind it - it started life as just a simple hack to get the UI working but the app's definitely out-grown this approach. So if you're up for the challenge of making it look professional and making it more user-friendly, that would be awesome. I'm not precious about the existing UI at all and find this part of the work really really dull

I would be surprised if the corner data wasn't usable for all games. The region for "Druids" for example would be anything from 500m to 600m from the start line (I'm guessing of course). As long as RF2 (and other games) passed the distance-round-track as metres from the start line, the variation in start line position and differences between track models should be small enough to make it work fairly well for all games.

Does RF2 send the 'distance-round-track' of a yellow flag?

We might be able to keep UI almost automatically generated, by adding properties for each setting (Category, Display String, Setting String, Tooltip String). I will look at it at some point, but I really would like to first eliminate the feature gap between Crew Chief and rF2 spotter first.

Yes, you are right, most likely it will be possible to identify corners. After all, all games report similar units for tracks.

I do not think rF2 tells position of incident that caused Yellow. We could try detecting which cars are off track though at the moment Yellow is indicated.

I've just wired up a first cut of calling who's involved in incidents. If an opponent is in the same sector as a yellow flag, not in the pits and over the course of 3 seconds he moves less than 10 metres along the track then I assume he's 'involved' in the incident. Depending on a few other things (do we have a sound file for his name, is he close to our race position, is he ahead of use) the app triggers a message - "looks like Britton has binned it", or (if we don't have a sound file and his race position <= 6), "looks like P4 has gone off".

Not had the chance to test it in anger - it's all my farting about with race recordings and the debugger, but it looks like a promising first attempt

Nice to hear

We will call out multiple guys in a mess?

nah, it only selects a single car - the one it thinks it most interesting. I might extended to allow it to call 2 cars, but any more and it'll get unmanageable I think

Looking forward to hearing that feature.

[edit] link removed

You'll need to add the new sounds files to your .../AppData/local/CrewChiefV4/sounds folder - these are checked into master, in the flag folder (name_has_gone_off_intro, name_has_gone_off_outro, position1_has_gone_off -> position6_has_gone_off)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast