Thread: The Crew Chief is Already Running

The Crew Chief is Already Running

I use Sim Commander to launch SimHub, The Crew Chief and iRacing when I click one of my iRacing car profiles in Sim Commander.

Recently I've been getting:

The Crew Chief is Already Running
    Retry, Cancel

dialog box.

Is there a way to disable this? If I do practice sessions in three different cars, I have a stack of warning dialogs to close when I'm done.

If The Crew Chief is already running, can't the app just do nothing? Don't spawn dialog boxes, just do nothing. What I want is that if it's not running and it gets launched, start up. But if it's already running I fail to see the reason to let me know that it's already running; this should be a noop.

I understand that this warning may be useful to others when switching sims or something, but for me it's just getting in the way. Is there any way I can disable it?

So I am not familiar with Sim Commander, but in my scripts I simply check if CC is running before starting it. Can SC do it?

Also, if you pass -C_EXIT switch to the CC, it will cleanly exit the currently runing instance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Wolf View Post
    So I am not familiar with Sim Commander, but in my scripts I simply check if CC is running before starting it. Can SC do it?

Also, if you pass -C_EXIT switch to the CC, it will cleanly exit the currently runing instance.
    I appreciate the suggestion. When I add it, it fails to launch. I can add other arguments and it still launches, so I'm not sure what's happening.

the way it works is if you have CC running, and you start another CC instance passing -c_exit, it will close both instances (simhub has same functionality). So to restart CC, you do 2 calls:
    crewchiefv4.exe -c_exit
    crewchiefv4.exe (whatever params you need, profile, game etc, see help)

Hope this makes sense. The point of -c_exit is to nicely shut CC down without corrupting files etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Wolf View Post
    the way it works is if you have CC running, and you start another CC instance passing -c_exit, it will close both instances (simhub has same functionality). So to restart CC, you do 2 calls:
    crewchiefv4.exe -c_exit
    crewchiefv4.exe (whatever params you need, profile, game etc, see help)

Hope this makes sense. The point of -c_exit is to nicely shut CC down without corrupting files etc.
    Thanks so much for the help and the explanation of the clean exit. I should know this as I am a developer by day (mostly JavaScript, NodeJS, and web front end though).

I got it to work as you described, but I did need to add a pause between the commands. I'll try this out and see how it goes; but the UI of Sim Commander makes these changes a little clunky; so I'm considering just having CC launch with Windows as it's really unobtrusive and this machine is mostly for sim racing.

Thanks again, and for posterity; this is what it looks like for me:
    - Launch SimHub
    - Kill Crew Chief safely
    - Pause for 1000ms
    - Launch Crew Chief

Last edited by jamiehs; 23-02-2021 at 03:36.

Seems like you can run script from this UI, so if you want to improve it you can run script that polls for exit, but sleep will do too Glad it was helpful.