Thread: GTR2 Setup Instructions and Known Issues

GTR2 Setup Instructions and Known Issues

About this project
    I’ll allow myself to begin this post with a personal note here. GTR2 holds special place in my heart, and I am sure I am not the only one out there feeling that way. It is the game that flipped me completely – once I encountered it I never looked back at casual racing games anymore.

Time went by, and lack of Crew Chief and quality VR support made me set GTR2 aside for a few years. But I always silently hoped and dreamt that this will change one day. Recently, I ventured into the world of RBR, and seeing what community achieved there made me realize - things do not have to stay as they are in GTR2. As a result – Crew Chief Team presents to you GTR2 Crew Chief and native VR support.

This project is the result of close cooperation between Sparten and me. Sparten solved several complex problems, greatly accelerating the progress. He found out that GTR2 uses a form of rF1 plugin model. This discovery elevates the overall GTR2 tooling to an entirely new level. Aside from the Crew Chief support, we also got better Motion and Transducer integration - we notified devs of SimTools and SimHub and they already updated their tools to make use of that. He also ignited the hope for the native VR by implementing VR tracking, which kicked off the adventure of implementing the VR support. Without Sparten’s help this project would’ve taken much longer, and frankly, I am not sure I would’ve had enough patience and lasting interest to bring this project this far if it wasn’t for his cooperation and unique skills.

Note: this plugin is provided as is, use it at your own risk. This is tested in offline only, no idea if it will cause online mismatches or any other issues.

Requirements (both CC and VR)
    Only Steam GTR2.exe is supported. (Minor) hex edits should be fine.

Crew Chief

Installation
    Crew Chief should be able to automatically install the files needed. However, if you are using multiple GTR2 drops, it is important to understand the exact installation steps.

Copy CrewChief.dll file out of Program Files (x86)\Britton IT Ltd\CrewChiefV4\plugins\GTR2 into [GTR2 Root]\Plugins.
    Launch GTR2 once, that will create the CrewChief.ini file. This needs to be done only the very first time.

Enhanced integration
    In order to enable the enhanced Crew Chief integration, make sure enableUnofficialFeatures is set to 1 in CrewChief.ini. If this value is not set, only official rF1 API is used, which has many limitations.

If you use spotter (car left/car right functionality), you would need to raise data update rate by changing scoringUpdateBoost value. Lower value boosts update rate, but increases the CPU usage. The lower the value, the more precise spotter will be, but at a cost of higher CPU usage will be. Valid range is [0.0, 0.5]. At the lowest value, which is 0.0 (spotter data updated on every frame), causes approximately 10% FPS reduction, and at 0.1-0.2 CPU usage increase is negligible. Put this to 0.5 to completely eliminate FPS impact or if you do not use the spotter functionality.

Work in progress
    - Safety car phase is still being worked on
    - On some tracks, pit stall countdown is not working correctly
    - Detailed damage information is currently missing
    - CC cannot distinguish between Test Day, Time Trial, Open Practice.

Limitations
    - Session restart without return to the garage breaks data flow (game stops sending updates). The workaround – don’t do that.

VR Support
    VR support is very much WIP, and it has strict requirements and limitations. Please make sure to familiarize yourself with “Requirements/(Not)Supported configuration
    ” section.

Requirements/(Not)Supported configuration
    - Steam GTR2.exe only
    - Windows 10
    - DX9 only
    - 32bit color only
    - Minimal window resolution 800x600
    - UI HUD, arrows, icons are not supported. Use SimHub overlays + CC SteamVR functionality to bring overlays into VR if you need UI in VR
    - Windowed mode only. You could run Fullscreen, but since doing so breaks CC SteamVR overlays, that is not supported
    - Do not run as Administrator. Since doing so breaks CC SteamVR overlays, such configuration is not supported
    - Do not set compatibility modes on GTR2.exe/GTR2Config.exe. “High DPI Scaling override” set to “Application” is OK if your window scales to your Desktop incorrectly. Any other settings are not supported.
    - Do not run anything that might interfere with SteamVR (ReVive etc).
    - Tools/Plugins that rely on d3d9.dll are not supported.

Work in progress
    - Rain reflections are currently disabled.
    - Some areas of the scene are black when game is paused or during the pit stop
    - There might be some issues with tracking/stereo vision when vehicle rolls over in combination with various “World Movement” values. mr_belowski suggests that he gets better tracking if “World Movement” is set to 0 in the game (that is with Valve Index HMD).

Installation
    Crew Chief should be able to automatically install the files needed. However, if you are using multiple GTR2 drops, it is important to understand the exact installation steps.

- Copy CrewChief.dll file out of Program Files (x86)\Britton IT Ltd\CrewChiefV4\plugins\GTR2\Plugins into [GTR2 Root]\Plugins.
    - Copy d3d9.dll and openvr_api.dll files out of Program Files (x86)\Britton IT Ltd\CrewChiefV4\plugins\GTR2 into [GTR2 Root].
    - Launch GTR2 once, that will create the CrewChief.ini file. This needs to be done only the very first time.
    - Set enableUnofficialFeatures = 1 and enableSteamVRRendering = 1 in CrewChief.ini. IMPORTANT: Make sure to re-run GTR2Config.exe every time you change the above setting.

Configuration

; Enables rendering for canted geometry HMDs (Pimax).
    ;
    ; Requires enableUnofficialFeatures and enableSteamVRRendering set to 1.
    enableCantedHMDRendering = 0

; Sets distance to the menu/non-cockpit canmera overlay. Higher value moves
    ; overlay further, lower moves it closer.
    ;
    menuOverlayDistance = 1.5

; Sets curvature of the menu/non-cockpit canmera overlay. Higher value makes
    ; overlay more curved, lower makes it less curved.
    ;
    menuOverlayCurvature = 0.2

; Virtual key code to use for resetting the center. Default is VK_NUMPAD5
    ;
    recenterHMDVirtualKey = 0x65

Recommended tweaks
    - In order to avoid culling issues (cars, buildings disappearing), edit defviews.cam
    LocalCam=COCKPIT
    {
    Fov=(160.000000, 62.00000)
    Raise value of 62 until culling issues disappear. (Running 110 here) .

- In order to avoid camera clipping/cutting out of a car, decrease:
    ClipPlanes=(0.17500, 500.000000)
    Keep it as high as you can tolerate visually.

- The usual GTR2 AA settings still apply in VR. So, if jagged white lines irritate you, consider using NVInspector AA settings:
    Antialiasing - Mode – Enhance the application setting
    Antialiasing – Setting – 4x Multisampling
    Antialiasing – Transparency Supersampling – 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

And don’t forget to crank SteamVR SS setting waaaaay up!
    - Shadows is what kills CPU in GTR2. So, whenever you need to raise the FPS, lower shadows to High or Medium.
    - mr_belowski suggests that he gets better tracking if “World Movement” is set to 0 in the game (that is with Valve Index HMD).

Additional features
    Set CPU Affinity from the CC plugin
    ; 0 do notning. Otherwise:
    ; 0xF - four CPUs (2core CPU with HT on)
    ; 0xFF - eight CPUs (4core CPU with HT on)
    ; 0xFFF - twelve CPUs (6core CPU with HT on)
    ; 0xFFFF - sixteen CPUs (8core CPU with HT on)
    ; 0xFFFFF - twenty CPUs (10core CPU with HT on)
    changeProcessAffinity=0xF

Credits and Thanks
    Risa2000 and ZNix – 3D Math and DX discussions
    Bjarne Hansen – for helping me to understand AIWs and creating track mappings for GTR2 tracks
    Jstn – for figuring out how to force variable weather
    mr_belowski – for his friendship, support, testing and creating the Crew Chief
    The Menace – for his help testing
    All the modders - for keeping GTR2 awesome!
    IP

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    Just to add my thanks and appreciation for this, working with you guys makes me feel like a total fraud as I sit back and watch you create stuff that, to me at least, is entirely indistinguishable from magic

Can I also add that I get a much better VR experience in GTR2 if I set "world movement" to 0 in-game (this is with a Valve Index)
    IP

Update: CC 4.15.0.3/Plugin 1.0.2.0

Plugin now generates CrewChief.ini if one doesn't exist. Also, plugin will add new options/remove deprecated ones automatically.
    IP