Thread: Personalisations - an experiment

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar

Personalisations - an experiment

Hi folks,

As many will have noticed, the backlog of personalisation requests has got a bit unmanageable. This is partly due to a lack of free time and party due to my voice being a bit scratchy and delicate at the moment (nothing serious, just 'one of those things').

Folks have often wondered why we have 2 separate sets of names, one for opponent drivers and one for the 'My Name' list. This is due to the way the my name list recordings work - 24 individual phrases with a name in them which sound nice and natural and work well. The downside of this is the amount of time and work required to make them. There are 200+ outstanding requests do working through all these is easily a weekend's work. With the kids at home all the time this just isn't going to get done.

So, I've created some 'stub' sounds and added all the opponent driver names (nearly 8000 of them) to the My Name list. If you select a My Name entry which has no personalisation recording set the app will assemble one. It does this by appending the selected name to the stub recordings to make the phrases. How well this works depends on the timing and inflection of the driver name. In some cases it'll work well, in other cases it'll be awful, in most cases it'll be somewhere in between.

If you've requested your name to be added and it's not been done, first please accept my apologies for this. Second, when the next CC update is released (version 4.12.0.1, released in the next day or so), please try the My Name list again - your name will almost certainly be there. Select it and restart the app and see how it sounds. Note that the My Name list will allow you to type in it to filter it (otherwise it'd be unusable with nearly 8000 names).

I only have a single collection of personalisation stub recordings. It might be worth adding 3 or 4 versions of these stubs with different timing and / or inflection so users can choose which of the auto-generated sets work best for them, but this is for another day.

If you're interested, the stub recordings are already available with today's sound pack update, they're in c:\Users\[username]\AppData\local\CrewChiefV4\sounds\composite_person alisation_stubs\. The app combines these with the driver name sound to make new entries for your name in c:\Users\[username]\AppData\local\CrewChiefV4\sounds\personalised_mes sages\. If you delete this entry the app will regenerate it as required.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this and will update this thread when the release is done.

TL/DR;

if you're waiting for a My Name entry to added, when today's update goes live your name should be available - it might be a bit robotic but it's worth a try
    IP

This his now been released
    IP

Im really confused on how this works. Is there a place where i have to type in my name or should it be showing in the drop down menu? I cant seem to find it out and i cant find a way to do it.
    IP

This change allows all the existing opponent driver names to be used to construct a My Name set. If your name isn't in the opponent drive names set then you won't be able to use this feature.

There are about 7500 opponent driver names
    IP

But where am I able to turn those things on? The list with "My Name" Didn't change, nor can I select more names in another list. How do I access those names and how do I turn them on.
    IP

are you using version 4.12.0.1 (updated today)? If so, the My Name box should allow you to type a name, which will filter the list

IP

I have the same as alessio.carrera. I am on version 4.15.2.3 and the list is the same. Yes, the box allows me to type my name, but it does nothing. When I restart the app, it falls back to previously selected name from THE list. I looked inside C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\CrewChiefV4\sounds\driver_names and I can see my name there, marian.wav. So I was curious to try but for some reason doesn't work. There is Marjan in THE list, so that's pretty close and I am happy with that, but wanted to give this a try
    IP

Enable "Allow opponent names in my name list" in properties
    IP

Thanks, that did the trick with names. However it always kept muting (completely) my in-game sound in iRacing when chief was saying something. It has to be this, as this was only setting I changed. When reverted, it was back to normal
    IP