Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Information about recording additional spotter sounds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar

Information about recording additional spotter sounds

We recently requested some help from the community to add some alternative spotter voices to CC (just the spotter component). We're asking for this because the spotter tends to be a different person, away from the pits (high up in a cherry-picker or whatever, looking down over the track). We've had a few volunteers already but if anyone wants to add their voice to the app there might still be time.

These instructions look complicated but they're really not - I just want to ensure it's as clear as possible.

First off, I'd like to use these sounds in the donation-ware open-source PC app *and* the closed-source Android version of the app, which costs 2 quid. So you need to be OK with that.

The recordings should be clear and not too bassy. I'll apply the radio sound filters myself so I need sound files that haven't been altered. They don't need to be broadcast quality or anywhere near because they get massively fuzzed up anyway. If possible, I want them in 22050Hz mono PCM wav file format (I can convert them but it's a chunk of extra work).

I need 15 sound sets, each with a few variations. Here are the sound sets, with a few example phrases:

still_there: "still there", "hold your line"
    in_the_middle: "you're in the middle, three wide", "3 wide, you're in the middle", "you're in the middle"
    car_left: "car left", "left side", "on your left"
    car_right: "car right", "left right", "on your right"
    car_inside: "car inside", "car low", etc
    car_outside: "car outside", "car high", etc
    clear_left: "clear left", "clear on the left"
    clear_right: "clear right", "clear on the right"
    clear_inside: "clear inside", "clear low", etc
    clear_outside: "clear outside", "clear high"
    clear_all_round: "clear all round"
    three_wide_on_right: "three wide, you're on the right", "you're on the right, three wide"
    three_wide_on_left: "three wide, you're on the left", "you're on the left, three wide"
    three_wide_on_inside: "three wide, you're on the inside", "you're on the bottom, three wide"
    three_wide_on_outside: "three wide, you're on the outside", "you're up high, three wide"

And 3 additional sound sets:
    radio_check: "spotter radio check"
    enable_spotter: "OK, I'll spot" / "OK, I'll give those calls"
    disable_spotter: "OK, no more spotter calls" / "OK, no spotter calls"

For each sound set I need between 5 and 10 variations (this is especially important for the still_there sound). The variations can be different phrasing (although in some cases there are only 1 or 2 ways to phrase the message), slightly different inflexions (the same thing said in a slightly different tone), or just the natural variation of saying the same thing multiple times. The goal with the variations is to make the app sound natural - it may repeat "still there" a few times so there needs to be a bit of variety. Please don't read from a script - it's really obvious. Shut your eyes and imagine yourself in a cherry-picker giving critical information to a busy and stressed driver

I think the easiest way to do this is to record each set as a single sound file with all the variations, and a 1 to 2 second pause between each one. So just record yourself saying "car left" .... "on your left" .... "left side" .... "car left" .... "on your left" ... "left side" etc. And put the resulting big sound file in a folder called "car_left". And repeat for the others so we have several folders, each with a single long sound file. Then zip it up.

I'll take care of splitting the sounds into the individual phrases and filtering them.

Hi, Mr. Belowski. I only just stumbled onto your wonderful program after I saw Studio 397s mention and subsequent searches about The Crew Chief. I'd love to offer some work for the spotter packs if you're still looking. My wife also offered to provide some vocal work for a female spotter. Please let us know if there's interest. Thank you and please keep up the great work.

Yeah, sure, more spotter voices would be cool - send the sounds as I've described above and I'll out them in the next sound pack update.

Glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by mr_belowski View Post
    The recordings should be clear and not too bassy. I'll apply the radio sound filters myself so I need sound files that haven't been altered. They don't need to be broadcast quality or anywhere near because they get massively fuzzed up anyway. If possible, I want them in 22050Hz mono PCM wav file format ...
    what bit depth do you need? 8, 16,24 bit??

so,

i just recorded some and put it into a zip.
    maybe you can use it, otherwise, no matter, if not. wavs are 22.050hz, 16 bit, mono.8bit was too noisy. didnt normalize, but did a little compression. lowcut at 100hz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ur3d7luapu...Micha.zip?dl=0

greetings,

micha

Quote Originally Posted by Scraping Micha View Post
    so,

i just recorded some and put it into a zip.
    micha
    Micha, these are pretty good. You're accent adds a nice flare to the mix and your annunciation is quite good. The only thing I'd say is please add more lines with different inflections for variety. I'd say maybe 3 more or so for each one at least.

I hope to get mine completed here soon too.

Micha,

Here's the processed and packaged spotter files

http://crewchief.isnais.de/spotter_Micha.zip

To use this, unzip this into your C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\CrewChiefV4\sounds\voice\

folder, so you're adding new 'spotter_Micha' and 'radio_check_Micha' folders to the existing voice folder, and new 'spotterDisabled_Micha' and 'spotterEnabled_Micha' folders to the voice/acknowledge folder.

If you're happy with how it sounds I can add it to the next sound pack update so everyone else can use it

[edit]

Tnadz - did you create some sounds too?

Ahoy,

Quote Originally Posted by Tnadz View Post
    Micha, these are pretty good. You're accent adds a nice flare to the mix and your annunciation is quite good. The only thing I'd say is please add more lines with different inflections for variety. I'd say maybe 3 more or so for each one at least.

I hope to get mine completed here soon too.
    ok, cool, THX! i try more variety in the next days.

Micha,

Here's the processed and packaged spotter files

http://crewchief.isnais.de/spotter_Micha.zip

To use this, unzip this into your C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\CrewChiefV4\sounds\voice\

folder, so you're adding new 'spotter_Micha' and 'radio_check_Micha' folders to the existing voice folder, and new 'spotterDisabled_Micha' and 'spotterEnabled_Micha' folders to the voice/acknowledge folder.

If you're happy with how it sounds I can add it to the next sound pack update so everyone else can use it

[edit]

Wow!
    Its strange to hear myself telling me what to do...hehehe.

the "spotter" sounds like "potter"... and some are cut in the middle of a word.

i could cut the files (reaper arrangement) up in your given order, even process them and send that you that whole pack, if you like.

THX for that fast user service here!

Greetings

Micha

I have but I didn't like the first pass. I went back and got some different inspiration. I just need to re-record and I'll upload. I hope you will be entertained...

OK, got some distractions out of the way. Here is the link to the files. If you don't use them all, I completely understand.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3885i...%20Spotter.zip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast