Thread: Project Cars 2 volume temporarily drops when Crewchief is talking

Project Cars 2 volume temporarily drops when Crewchief is talking

I've bought a Steelseries Arctis 5 2019 a few days ago, and I've been using Crewchief in combination with Project Cars 2 for years.

Since switching over to the Arctis, I've noticed audio ducking whenever I'm in game and the spotter apps starts talking; the in-game audio will lower in volume slightly while the app talks, and then increase again. It's not a huge drop in volume, but very noticeable and irritating when concentrating on racing.

I did not have this issue with the headset I was previously using (Corsair Void Wireless). Or I didn't notice for some reason... The only thing that changed since the Arctis is I uninstalled Corsair iCue, installed Steelseries Engine and switched audio devices in Windows.

I've tried different things, to no avail:
    - There is no option in the Project Cars 2 sound setting that could cause this behavior, nor is there in Crewchief.
    - Compression is disabled in Steelseries Engine. No other settings make any difference.
    - Both Project Cars 2 and Crewchief use the "game" channel of the headset. Verified by turning the knob that mixes chat and game audio.
    - The sound enhancements in the playback tab of the Windows sound config are disabled.
    - The voice reduction in the communications tab of the Windows sound config doesn't make any difference either.
    - "Loudness equalization" is disabled in the Realtek management software. I ended up uninstalling the Realtek driver, but that didn't help either.

The audio ducking does not happen when I have a youtube video playing and then trigger the spotter app to say something. Maybe there's a difference here because I run Project Cars 2 full screen?

Does anyone else have a similar issue? Maybe some other ideas on what I could try?

Thanks!

(I'm sorry, I just noticed I should've posted this in the tech support section.)

Try this

Thank you for the suggestion. I disabled exclusive mode as you described and then rebooted for good measure, but the problem is still there unfortunately.

check this as well

I already set that to "do nothing" before posting here, I'm afraid. I really appreciate your help by the way!