Thread: Using Windows speech recognition on non-English Windows installs

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar

Using Windows speech recognition on non-English Windows installs

If you're using a non-English version of Windows, the default app behaviour is to attempt to initialise an English version of the Windows speech recognition engine. This won't work if you don't have English speech recognition stuff installed, and you'll be prompted to install the Microsoft SRE components (a recognition engine and a language pack). If you complete these installations the app should work, using the Microsoft engine.

However, if you want to use the Windows engine (which can be trained and in some circumstances is more reliable), you'll need to add English to your windows install.

In Settings -> "Time and Language" click Language and add a language package - English (US) works well. Exit the Settings app and restart it, go back to Time and Language settings, then Speech. The language you just added should appear in the Speech Language drop down box, showing that it's available as a speech recognition language.

That *should* be sufficient - start Crew Chief and see if it explodes. You *might* need to select English (US) as you speech language in the Time and Language settings screen.

Note that you don't have to change your display language to English

If anybody has trouble with this and can't get it work despite the guide, let me know and I'll try to help as I had to endure this horrible Windows experience, as well.

Hi,
    Love you spftware, the only thing I need a hand on is the voice recognition.
    I am running win10 german version and cannot get the voice recognition to function at all on CC.
    When i try to activate the 'chief' function I am linked to microsoft website and asked to download some software. I do this and install it (english for example) but still it does not work.
    Any help and advice here would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the same boat with the danish version, did you find a solution?

Hope that helps, i'm danish but i use english on my windows.

Okay so i do need to change my windows display language to english as well. i have been trying without doing that :-/

I think there is a way to avoid that, but can easy change it in lower right corner on the window taskbar.

Hello,

I've changed my win10 to english from polish. Installed all the packages. System is recognizing my commands but CC still doesn't work.

Everytime I try to switch voice recognition mode I'm prompted to install voice recognition packages ...

what can I do now?

Note on 10.05.2020:

I've fixed the issue by installing M$ Speech Platform

Now I'll just need to handle "actions not assigned" ...

regards,
    M
    Last edited by Magus; 10-05-2020 at 16:59.

Riconoscimento non funziona

Quote Originally Posted by causa45 View Post
    If anybody has trouble with this and can't get it work despite the guide, let me know and I'll try to help as I had to endure this horrible Windows experience, as well.
    Prima della reinstallazione di windows causa un HD che non funzionava...tutto era ok!..Ora sto impazzendo!

Ho fatto tutti gli step scritti...ma non funziona....! Io ho anche installato il Sound pack x Italiano e non so che fare!...Tutto รจ ok fino all installazione del sound pack italiano, ma quando voglio scegliere lo spotter per comandi diretta con voce in basso a destra non va nulla! Aiutatemi grazie!