Thread: Keystrokes sent, but nothing happens in iRacing

Keystrokes sent, but nothing happens in iRacing

I'd love to move away from DRE, but so far have failed to get CC to work for the past 2 days.

CC recognizes my command and supposedly sends keystrokes, but nothing happens in iRacing (installed under steam, manually configured the path to exe). The spotter gives me iRacing updates about sector times, drivers, ranking etc... so it somehow is connected to my iRacing launched through simvibe. I suspect it may be unable to select the iRacing window and direct input. Windows 10 in case it matters.

I see this in the logs:

00:25:44.359 : Heard keyword Chief, waiting for command confidence 0.9673151
    00:25:44.375 : Opened channel - waiting for speech
    00:25:44.375 : Getting audio from default device
    00:25:46.756 : Recognised : black box relative Confidence = 0.797 Time Elapsed (ms) = 2380.2158
    00:25:46.758 : Waiting for trigger word Chief
    00:25:46.766 : Sending actions F3
    00:25:46.766 : Pressing keys F3

On a related note, I wanted to send CTRL+R (refresh paints) so I've created a macro with the 2 keypresses with a 0ms delay between them, is this the right approach to send a key combo?

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    the app can't send two concurrent key presses. In your example it'll send CTRL, then release the key, then send R, so it won't do what you want. There's a task on our backlog to rework the key-presser to make it more flexible but i don't know when we'll get to it.

The key presses go to whatever if the active window. If iRacing isn't the active window they won't work. You can see this behaviour by starting Notepad and putting it on top, then issuing a macro command - the command keys will be typed into notepad instead of going to the game. There's an option in the Properties screen which tells the app to attempt to bring the game window to the front before pressing the macro keys - 'Ensure game is on top for voice command macros' - might be worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by mr_belowski View Post
    the app can't send two concurrent key presses. In your example it'll send CTRL, then release the key, then send R, so it won't do what you want. There's a task on our backlog to rework the key-presser to make it more flexible but i don't know when we'll get to it.
    Thx for getting back to me, it's not the end of the world if I can't do combos. I might be able to remap the key to something else or use a wheel button instead.

The key presses go to whatever if the active window. If iRacing isn't the active window they won't work. You can see this behaviour by starting Notepad and putting it on top, then issuing a macro command - the command keys will be typed into notepad instead of going to the game. There's an option in the Properties screen which tells the app to attempt to bring the game window to the front before pressing the macro keys - 'Ensure game is on top for voice command macros' - might be worth a try
    Hmm I do have the bring to front option checked I believe, but iRacing should already be the front window else my VR screen seems to go dark. Also when testing in parallel to CC I was using my keyboard F keys to see if that input was respected, and it did, suggesting the window did have focus.
    So I'm not sure what else I can try other than maybe disable the bring to front if there happens to be some issue with that on my setup that somehow temporarily un-focusses iRacing.

I'll start with the notepad and come back if I need more pointers to further debug.

I've been having the same issue with the app failing to set the foreground window to the game window, i pushed a fix for this and it will be in the next update.

Awesome thx!

Just to confirm, I had the option to bring to front checked. I've since disabled it and when Notepad has focus my keystrokes do appear, but still no luck with iRacing, window on top and in focus.

Not sure if it helps but VoiceAttack/DRE seems to manage to deliver keystrokes with my iRacing setup.

Anything else I can try or do I need to wait for the update from @Sparten ?

Thx for all the work!

Hey @jayvbe when your in the sim ( can go to garage etc, go to options (the last tab I think it is controls (where you map say Brake Bias, Start, etc.
    On right side you can remap the Ctrl+r to something different
    i don't have iRacing open at moment but will and get a screen shot if I did not explain that well enough

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    @jayvbe that change that Sparten mentioned is in today's beta build - http://thecrewchief.org/showthread.php?38-Beta-Test-Thread&p=5873&viewfull=1#post5873

I was also having issues with that last night while testing the macro stuff something might be blocking the command or it fails to find the window still not sure, i'll look deeper into it today.