Thread: rawName with empty string exception

Post rawName with empty string exception

This bug was encountered while using CrewChief with rFactor 2 but I suspect it would be relevant to other sims as well.

--- Setup

- Using Windows 10 Pro
    - Updated CrewChief to the latest version 4.9.8.8
    - Downloaded rFactor 2 latest driver names (Race Department)

--- Game

- Started rF2 x64 and tested with a stock GT3 race with a stock track (DLC)
    - During the race, CrewChief threw an exception when it tried to name the driver ahead
    - CrewChief exception window was thrown on top of rFactor 2 freezing the race
    - Restarting rFactor 2 the same behaviour has been observed with a number of other drivers

--- Solution

- After further investigation, a temporary workaround was found by enabling the "TTS setting (text)" option "only when necessary"
    - The TTS pronounces the name of the driver correctly (default voice profile) when the spotter gives an update that uses an unrecognised name

-----
    * Attached screen capture of the exception: 2019-07-16 - CrewChiefV4 rawName exception error.png
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmind View Post
    This bug was encountered while using CrewChief with rFactor 2 but I suspect it would be relevant to other sims as well.

--- Setup

- Using Windows 10 Pro
    - Updated CrewChief to the latest version 4.9.8.8
    - Downloaded rFactor 2 latest driver names (Race Department)

--- Game

- Started rF2 x64 and tested with a stock GT3 race with a stock track (DLC)
    - During the race, CrewChief threw an exception when it tried to name the driver ahead
    - CrewChief exception window was thrown on top of rFactor 2 freezing the race
    - Restarting rFactor 2 the same behaviour has been observed with a number of other drivers

--- Solution

- After further investigation, a temporary workaround was found by enabling the "TTS setting (text)" option "only when necessary"
    - The TTS pronounces the name of the driver correctly (default voice profile) when the spotter gives an update that uses an unrecognised name

-----
    * Attached screen capture of the exception: 2019-07-16 - CrewChiefV4 rawName exception error.png
    Hi, could you upload the screenshot to something like tinypic or something? I cannot see the exception text. Also, could you please send me the race log? Crew Chief saves logs in Documents\CrewChiefV4 folder, it would help to diagnose the issue.

Did race have Formation/Rolling or Full Course Yellow?

Thanks.

Please make sure that you are running the latest CC. Previous version had a bug where we accidentally shipped internal debug code, but you should not see above box with the very latest version.

In any case, please upload screenshot and log, because above message indicates unhandled situation that only happens in rF2 online sessions, and I'd like to understand it as I currently race offline primarily.

Lastly, if you are still seeing this box, and running the latest CC, it would be great if you could send me the file size of this file:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Britton IT Ltd\CrewChiefV4\CrewChiefV4.exe". Thanks!

Ever since I disabled all rF2 plugins, inc the "Full Course Yellow" one, I have not encountered the error again. I have left the CC TTS option enabled but I cannot recall it being triggered since the plugins' removal. Also pls note, that I always use the latest version of CC before any racing, being on rF2, AC or pC2 (not yet ACC) and do not use voice commands (I am still on CC v4.9.8.8).

I din't have much time to dedicate on sim-racing the past week but will do some further tests when I get the time and if I encounter this error again, I will update the thread. Hope that helps you out a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmind View Post
    Ever since I disabled all rF2 plugins, inc the "Full Course Yellow" one, I have not encountered the error again. I have left the CC TTS option enabled but I cannot recall it being triggered since the plugins' removal. Also pls note, that I always use the latest version of CC before any racing, being on rF2, AC or pC2 (not yet ACC) and do not use voice commands (I am still on CC v4.9.8.8).

I din't have much time to dedicate on sim-racing the past week but will do some further tests when I get the time and if I encounter this error again, I will update the thread. Hope that helps you out a little.
    To save you time, just wanted to let you know that I do not need any more info on this. The message box you've seen is already fixed in public release, and the internal problem of emtpy rawName I figured out while debugging my own race, so this will be released in one of the next releases, once I am happy with rF2 branch code quality.

Thanks for the report.