Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crewchief Causing Major Lag

Thank you for the replay and info. My 7.1 USB headphones sound horrible in 3.5mm stereo mode.. I will test it out though. I disabled my monitor in the windows/sounds/playback options so it wont swap sound devices. This works ok however there is still system lockups. I tried pausing my AV software and it did run 3 brief sessions in iR pretty good however it just locked up again..

Quote Originally Posted by mr_belowski View Post
    and you can select the sound device to send the sounds to in the main CC UI.
    I'm sorry I do not see a sound device list in the main CC Ui.. Did I misunderstand something here..?

Crew Chief Mega Corp CEO mr_belowski's Avatar
    Enable the nAudio playback option in the properties screen

gotchya.. maybe this will fix my issue..

add: nah
    Last edited by Coanda; 10-09-2020 at 19:00.

Is there a way to get the old sound pack to check if it's the soundpack which is causing those problems?

Raced on Monday with the old - no problem
    Since i installed the new one - only problems

Yeah, it's possible. You'll have to delete the AppData/local/CrewChiefV4/sounds/voice/ folder then u unzip the full download from the previous pack to replace the missing voice folder. I'll just go find the url

Thanks, i'll check if the old soundpack works, so we know it's the latest pack.
    Since nothing change on my system for ages, this is the only thing which i would say is causing the problems, since an older CC version with latest soundpack still has the same issues as the latest CC version

So, checked the old soundpack. Did work smooth and perfect as ever and my good old CC was my buddy in crime
    Tells me something in the new soundpack is causing problems.

I'm at a loss here. There's nothing in the sound pack update that should cause this.

Perhaps your PC is under memory pressure and the additional files are tipping it over the edge? By default Crew Chief will load each of the sound files into memory and just before it plays a sound it converts the raw binary data for the sound into a playable sound object. This means that the app has a byte array in memory for each sound file. It makes the app very CPU and IO efficient (all the expensive file handling and memory allocation is done at start up time) but it does use a lot of memory.

The app can be configured to run without this cache, so it'll read the sounds off the disk as and when they're needed. It makes it much more memory efficient (the downside is that it uses other resources for file IO and memory allocation while you're racing).

I suggest you back up your AppData/local/CrewChiefV4/ folder (the 176 sound pack), launch CC and change the "Cache sounds" property to be unchecked. Close CC then edit AppData/local/CrewChiefV4/sounds/sound_pack_version_info.txt and change the text 177 to 176. This will make CC prompt you to update the sound pack on the next start up. Start CC up again and allow it to complete the sound pack update process.

When you next run it, it will be using the latest sound pack (177) but its memory footprint will be reduced from nearly 1gig down to 120meg or so. Like I said, this is a trade-off but it's worth a try.

Another option that will have a similar effect is "Load sound files on startup". Unchecking this prevents the app from putting all the sound data into memory, but it still allows the sounds to be cached. If "Cache sounds" is enabled and "Load sounds on startup" is disabled, the app's memory use will start very low and gradually increase as sounds are loaded when needed then held in memory in case they're needed again. Disabling the cache entirely with the "Cache sounds" property will make the app re-load a sound each time it's needed

I don't think i've got memory trouble with 64GB DDR4 RAM
    Yesterday i checked what happened if i turn off every sound file but one, still the issue remains. Does CC load the soundfiles whatever you want and just not play the files, or would uncheck the sounds mean these files arent loaded at all? If that would be the case it seems to be not memory related.

I will check your idea in the evening and take a look onto memory and cpu load, perhaps i can help you find a clue.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast