PDA

View Full Version : For the life of me I can't get it to recognize my name (Android+XBox One)

ashasha
24-02-2017, 00:48
Let me start off by saying that I've been using your app for quite a while and to say that it adds to the immersion is an understatement. I'm playing PCARS on XBox and even with all the nitpicky stuff that goes along with that, your app just makes the game amazing.

So a few months ago you added my name to the list of names and I've made a zip file named "driver_names" with the folders "back_luck", "come_on", etc., to the download directory of my Android tablet and it just doesn't seem to do anything. I even made a new profile in the game to make sure that my first name was spelled exactly the same. I've gone through all of the settings in the app and have use driver names enabled, but I don't know if that is for other drivers or for me or for both. I thought that I read somewhere that it would find the file on startup and then ask if I wanted to use it, but nothing like that has happened.

I'm pretty sure that I'm just being thick about this, but if you could set me straight that would be awesome.

mr_belowski
24-02-2017, 07:43
I'm planning to wrap all this up into the app soon as long as I can add all the sounds without making the app download size > 100mb (it's going to be quite tight so I'm not 100% sure it'll work). So there will be a drop-down list of available names which the app can call you and no additional downloading or farting about will be necessary so it'll get easier.

In the mean time, to make this work you need to use a different zip file name and ensure it's structured correctly. "driver_names.zip" is for opponent drivers, not personalised messages. The app expects the zip file's name to contain the text "prefixes_and_suffixes", and the text ".zip". So "prefixes_and_suffixes_jim.zip" would work, "prefixes_and_suffixes.zip" would work, but "driver_names.zip" won't.

The zip file must contain a folder called "prefixes_and_suffixes", and this folder must contain the "back_luck", "come_on", etc folders.

So to get all this going, choose the name you want. Create a folder on your PC called prefixes_and_suffixes. Copy the "back_luck", "come_on" and other folders from the personalisations name that you want to use (from the personalisations.zip file) into this prefixes_and_suffixes folder. Then zip the prefixes_and_suffixes folder (right click -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder). The resulting .zip file should be called "prefixes_and_suffixes.zip" - just pop this in the download dir of your device and it *should* work.

ashasha
24-02-2017, 12:09
Still not working on the tablet....but I loaded that same file into my phone and it worked perfect. I looked at the directory structure of the phone vs. the tablet and both are a folder called "Download" in the root of the internal storage. The tablet is an Acer A100 and has never been rooted or anything like that. I don't have an external SD card connected just to make sure that I'm not confusing the storage locations. It's running Android 4.03 which I know is older, but it's the last version that was offered for the thing. It opens up zip files just fine on the device itself; I can see all the folders and files using X-Plore. It's a real head scratcher.

I suppose I could just use my phone, but I have this whole ridiculous contraption I built where I use a headphone amp/mixer with a custom mount for my tablet on my rig with all the cables nice and managed. It was actually a real pain to get the XBox and the tablet to work together into a set of headphones nicely. It'd just be nice to have it working on the tablet if possible. Actually the app works great on the tablet save for the fact that I can't hear my name. :)

Thanks for the fast response.

mr_belowski
24-02-2017, 15:24
the app will check for this magic .zip file in the device's "Downloads" folder and the device's "External storage" folder. The external storage folder is device dependent, but should be the one that pops up when you plug the thing into your PC as a USB drive. Try copying it to the root of that folder.

Android is a real mess when it comes to file handling. The APIs are supposed to take care of all this for the developers but it means that you never really know what folders are actually being used.

ashasha
24-02-2017, 19:45
This tablet is a real piece of work. I found a microSD card and put it in, when I connect it to the PC with the card in the device doesn't show up at all in Explorer. I did manage to trick it by connecting it and then putting the card in. I copied that zip file to just about every directory I could think of on the internal card; made a folder called downloads on the SD card, put it in the root, pointed at it, yelled at it, rolled my eyes....no dice. I even put it in the app's directory hoping that I might trick it.

I just tried emailing it to myself and downloading it on the tablet....saved it to the internal download folder (as it should have), but CrewChief still doesn't see it.

I tried the phone with my setup and unfortunately it buzzes when plugged in even when using a ground loop isolator. Oh first world problems. :)

mr_belowski
24-02-2017, 20:05
I'll have the personalisations wrapped up into the app proper some time in the next couple of weeks (fingers crossed)

mr_belowski
24-02-2017, 22:07
Or perhaps rather quicker than 2 weeks - should be finished this weekend :)

ashasha
25-02-2017, 10:44
I looked it up on the internet and that is in fact a lot quicker than 2 weeks. :D

mr_belowski
25-02-2017, 17:40
Just pushed this up to Google Play so there will be a big update headed your way with the personalisations built in (look for "Player name" on the preferences screen). That was the shortest 2 week development cycle in history :D

Sparten
25-02-2017, 17:56
How long is that converted to race laps ? Some journalist might need that info.

ashasha
25-02-2017, 19:59
Wow. I don't even know what to say. :)

I appreciate that a lot and can't wait to try it out.

mr_belowski
25-02-2017, 20:21
No worries fella, it needed doing, I needed a kick up the arse to do it, it's now done. Bish bash bosh :)

Hope it works as intended but if it doesn't, kick me again please :)

The Iron Wolf
26-02-2017, 03:37
mr_belowski is on a roll! :)

mr_belowski
26-02-2017, 08:55
Well let's wait till users start reporting that it actually works first, eh? :)

Ashasha - does it work? Or does it melt your phone and burn your bum?

ashasha
26-02-2017, 12:38
Well let's wait till users start reporting that it actually works first, eh? :)

Ashasha - does it work? Or does it melt your phone and burn your bum?So I ended up going to bed before it was available for download, but I just tried it out and it works great. No burns on the bum, but I did end up a bit sweaty and out of breath after like 5 races back to back.

So I guess that makes it an official roll that you are on. ;)

mr_belowski
26-02-2017, 13:02
Great, thanks for the feedback. I did test it honest :) but it's always good to have confirmation that it's working as intended