PDA

View Full Version : Speech recognition trouble shooting

mr_belowski
18-02-2018, 11:48
The app does *not* use the built in Windows speech recogniser. It uses Microsoft Speech Recognition, which is a separate component and must be downloaded and installed, along with an appropriate Language Pack.

If you're having problems getting speech recognition to work for you, try the following:

1: Uninstall all of the Microsoft Server Speech items in your Add / Remove Programs control panel ("Microsoft Server Speech Platform Runtime" and any "Microsoft Server Speech Recognition Language" items)
2: Download http://crewchief.isnais.de/Speech_recognition_64bit.zip (or http://crewchief.isnais.de/Speech_recognition_32bit.zip if you have a 32 bit system)
3: Install SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi from this package
4: Install one (and only one) of MSSpeech_SR_en-US_TELE.msi OR MSSpeech_SR_en-GB_TELE.msi from this package
5: Reboot
6: Ensure your microphone is set up to be the "Default Device" in the Windows "Recording devices" control panel.
7: In the microphone "Properties" page in the control panel, ensure AGC (automatic gain control) is off, and the input level is at max
8: Ensure that the 'Allow apps to access your microphone' setting is enabled in the Windows 'Privacy' control panel
9: Ensure the app's "Speech recognition locale" property is set to "en" (without the quotes)
10: Press the app's "Scan for controllers" button (bottom left corner of the main screen)
11: Select the controller you want to use for activating the radio, then select "Talk to Crew Chief" from the Available actions list
12: Press the "Assign" button on the app, then press the button you want to use on your controller
13: Change the "Voice recognition mode" to "Hold button"
14: Start the app
15: Hold the button down on you controller, and while it's held down say "can you hear me" into the mic and release the button when you're finished (the game doesn't have to be running). The app *should* respond

If you want to use a device that isn't the default sound input device, you can do this but you must enable the "Use nAudio for speech recognition" property in the app's Properties screen, then select the device in the "Speech input device" list. Only "Hold button" mode is supported when using nAudio but other modes might work for you

blood_spectre
24-03-2018, 00:27
It worked perfectly sir. Thank you for assisting. And if I my, thank you for an excellent application. It adds so much to the gaming experience. You will have a donation from me shortly.

Muller Oliveira
31-08-2018, 20:22
how can I change voice commands to another language? I really wanted to talk to the chief in Portuguese.

John Richard
25-10-2018, 00:13
When I use Crew Chief in iRacing, the voice recognition automatically opens my web browser during my race session.. Any idea how to turn that off?

Sparten
25-10-2018, 06:07
Only thing i can think of causing this issue is if "Ensure game window on top for voice macros" is disabled, so make sure that enabled, witch it should be by default.

John Richard
25-10-2018, 23:55
Is that in the app or iRacing?

PortableGamer
13-11-2018, 20:49
Amazing app. Total game changer. Only problem I'm having is my Jim doesn't respond to about 3/4 of my voice prompts. Responding to the other 1/4 makes me think the recognition component is working alright. When you have a spare minute - because really, to make all this and give it away is already more than we could reasonably ask for - could you throw up a list of current voice commands, and perhaps tag which do and don't work with which sims?

Thank you for the app and the amazing support.

-W

Don_Ho
24-02-2020, 13:59
I have followed both your directions and the directions within the help document with no luck. Every time that I try to select the Hold button, I get the message "Missing dependency".
I have uninstalled and re-installed multiple times. Can you point me in the correct direction to solve this issue?

Thanks
Don "Ho"

Poody
04-04-2020, 01:54
My problem was that I wasn't installing this first. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16789 Then installing the voice packs. I hope this helps!

TJ Fat Bastard
13-05-2020, 02:09
Followed all the steps it worked. Great started the iracing now Jim has never heard me again.

I got that Cortina gal answering me but Jim is DEAF to me.

What is the next step in troubleshooting?

Sparten
13-05-2020, 04:36
Disable exclusive mode for your microphone, in windows sound settings.

TJ Fat Bastard
13-05-2020, 04:52
Disable exclusive mode for your microphone, in windows sound settings.

Not seeing that option any where and it is not showing up in any searches in Settings

Sparten
13-05-2020, 06:35
https://i.imgur.com/lwp8NyW.png

TJ Fat Bastard
13-05-2020, 18:38
Done and done. I think the issue is something to do with the microphone not having a push to talk or a constant on switch.

Jay
12-06-2020, 20:52
Hey, hope you can help with this, can't find any answers anywhere.

So when CC is open on its own the voice recognition works perfectly when the button is set to either the keyboard or the Xbox controller so it doesn't sound like an issue with CC. When I run Project Cars 2, the voice recognition button will work if it's mapped to the keyboard but not if it's mapped to the controller. I can click back onto CC and open it on top of PC2 and it works fine but it wont work when PC2 is taking priority.

Any thoughts?

Braden O'Loughlin
16-06-2020, 22:39
I need someone's help urgently please...
My voice recognition for the most part works as far as that it recognises I am there. I say Chief, there is a beep and some voice commands work. Such as "can you hear me", "how's my fuel" etc.
So I know i don't have a problem with my mic or CC seeing I am there.
But others it is not recognising at all..."clear fuel, clear all, clear tires" etc. The ones i really need.
Can someone give me a troubleshoot solution for what this could be?
Any help will be appreciated as this is making racing rather unenjoyable not being able to control pitstops. Cheers.

rbausdorf
18-06-2020, 17:48
I'm still unlucky.
The SRE is successfully initialized using en-US, but nothing is recognized. The log is always like that:

19:43:33.621 : Opened channel - waiting for speech
19:43:33.621 : Getting audio from default device
19:43:34.083 : Invoking speech recognition...
19:43:34.083 : Cancelling wait for speech
19:43:37.107 : No speech input was detected

What confuses me is that

19:43:34.083 : Invoking speech recognition...
19:43:34.083 : Cancelling wait for speech

are on exactly the same timestamp. (Win10 with german installation.)

mr_belowski
18-06-2020, 18:11
That's a misleading log message - the "Cancelling wait" line doesn't mean the app has stopped listening. Whatever the problem is, it's not related to that log line

rbausdorf
19-06-2020, 07:53
That's a misleading log message - the "Cancelling wait" line doesn't mean the app has stopped listening. Whatever the problem is, it's not related to that log line

Any hints how to track down the problem ?

mr_belowski
19-06-2020, 08:18
It's hard to say what the problem might be. If you've set up your microphone to be the default Windows sound recording device, it should work.

This copy-paste from a recent Discord thread might be useful:

there are 2 speech recognisers. The Microsoft one and the Windows one. They're different. The windows one is built into Windows, is tied to your Windows install's language (well, not entirely but it's fiddly to change) and requires training. The Microsoft one is a separate download (the first link i posted), requires a separate language pack download (the other link i posted), is independent of your Windows install's language and does not require training.

CC can use either - enable the "prefer Windows speech recognition" property and it'll use the Windows version, disable this property and it'll use the Microsoft one.

CC has its own language setting which needs to match the language of the speech recogniser (which ever you're using). The default speech recognition language for CC is "en", which will work with any English recognition language. If you downloaded a 3rd party sound pack it's possible that this is telling CC to use a different speech recognition language from the default

they both work well - after training, the Windows one is generally better for me (as long as I use the same microphone as I use when racing) but the Microsoft one is also very good. If you can get them both to work, you can switch between them by changing that property and restarting the app so you can see which gives the best results

TheCRUSTYSmurf
11-08-2020, 15:27
I'm having the same issue. Can't seems to figure it out. I've tried train my speech so it could better understand my voice. But still pops up a web browser mid race on some commands. getting annoying to the point i don't want to use it. Does anyone have a solution?

brianalphin
13-08-2020, 01:03
Hey, hope you can help with this, can't find any answers anywhere.

So when CC is open on its own the voice recognition works perfectly when the button is set to either the keyboard or the Xbox controller so it doesn't sound like an issue with CC. When I run Project Cars 2, the voice recognition button will work if it's mapped to the keyboard but not if it's mapped to the controller. I can click back onto CC and open it on top of PC2 and it works fine but it wont work when PC2 is taking priority.

Any thoughts?

Jay, Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue when using iRacing.

Mark Pickford
30-10-2020, 20:39
Hi folks,

I have tried everything in this FAQ and I simply cannot figure out my problem.

CC understands me just fine when I'm not in the car, either at the desktop or within iracing but not in the car, but the moment I go out on track, it doesn't understand a word I say.

I have tried two different headsets and currently use Sennheiser GSP600's.

I don't use speakers and there are no other noises going off in my room when I race. I would appreciate any ideas, before I finally give up on what I know to be an awesome piece of software.

Cheers

>^..^<

Sparten
31-10-2020, 06:52
try do this
https://i.imgur.com/8pBE9zS.png
And you might want to lower the recognised speech confidence level in the properties of crewchief.

dean
08-01-2021, 08:59
Jay, Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue when using iRacing.

Really need some help to get CC mic to work. i have followed all the tips in this thread but im getting nowhere. must have missed something or done something wrong. anyone able to help me out

SimoFan
15-03-2021, 15:52
Hi, I've trying to do all the possible things but I always have the same issue. I have followed all the proceedings to the letter, but it is not resolved. I lost hope ... can anyone help me?

16:43:49.320 : got language codes data countryToUse = "IT", langToUse = "it" langAndCountryToUse = "it-IT"
16:43:49.339 : Unable to get language for System SRE with lang it or it-IT
16:43:49.339 : You may need to add an appropriate language from the Windows 'Time and language' control panel (go to Languages -> Add a language). App will fall back to Microsoft SRE
16:43:49.347 : Unable to get Microsoft speech recogniser. Is SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi installed?
16:43:49.374 : Successfully initialised preferred Microsoft SRE
16:43:49.376 : Unable to get Microsoft speech recogniser. Is SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi installed?
16:43:53.160 : Unable to initialise speech engine with voice recognition pack for location it-IT. Check MSSpeech_SR_it-IT_TELE.msi is installed. It can be downloaded from...
16:43:53.160 : Attempted to initialise speech engine - success = False

Windows is in Italian, all the necessary pack is installed (SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi x64 and MSSpeech_SR_it-IT_TELE.msi) in the right order. I've unmark the ACG correctly from the advanced option of the microphone but it doesn't works.

SimoFan
15-03-2021, 15:55
Hi, I've trying to do all the possible things but I always have the same issue. I have followed all the proceedings to the letter, but it is not resolved. I lost hope ... can anyone help me?

16:43:49.320 : got language codes data countryToUse = "IT", langToUse = "it" langAndCountryToUse = "it-IT"
16:43:49.339 : Unable to get language for System SRE with lang it or it-IT
16:43:49.339 : You may need to add an appropriate language from the Windows 'Time and language' control panel (go to Languages -> Add a language). App will fall back to Microsoft SRE
16:43:49.347 : Unable to get Microsoft speech recogniser. Is SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi installed?
16:43:49.374 : Successfully initialised preferred Microsoft SRE
16:43:49.376 : Unable to get Microsoft speech recogniser. Is SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi installed?
16:43:53.160 : Unable to initialise speech engine with voice recognition pack for location it-IT. Check MSSpeech_SR_it-IT_TELE.msi is installed. It can be downloaded from....
16:43:53.160 : Attempted to initialise speech engine - success = False

Windows is in Italian, all the necessary pack is installed (SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi x64 and MSSpeech_SR_it-IT_TELE.msi) in the right order. I've unmark the ACG correctly from the advanced option of the microphone but it doesn't works.

SgtMajM
29-12-2021, 15:04
I tried to download the crewchief.isnais.de/Speech_recognition_64bit.zip, but my computer says it is unsafe and will not download it. It say that malicious attacked may gain access to my computer. I can't get Crew Chief 4 to recognize my voice. Is there a safe site to download the softeware?

Seven Smiles
29-12-2021, 16:02
Use the Microsoft links in https://mr_belowski.gitlab.io/CrewChiefV4/VoiceRecognition_InstallationTraining.html instead.

projuptier
25-05-2022, 18:26
Hi Guys. Is it possible that the microphone is picking up the audio from the game internally ? I used autohotkey to mute my audio when I have the voice recognition hold button held down. I thought this improve the voice recognition as opposed to having the game audio interfering. However, it appears when I am in the game and I mute the audio, crew chief still has trouble hearing me, I dont seem to have the problem when I am out of the game. I dont know for sure, but it seems like even though there is no sound coming from my speakers, the microphone is till picking the interference internally somehow.

oggmeista
21-01-2023, 04:27
Hi, well i was going to post i had a very similar issue to @projuptier as i'd been having problems and just wasn't able to sort it out, so today out of desperaion i followed the guide here of uninstalling and reinstalling ms speach assets, but still it wouldn't work, so i then tried two changes, i now have a JLab talk desktop mic, where as before i used my hyperX headset mic which works fine till the detachable mic fails when i need to replace it as it completely failed to pick up anything, and this had happened 3x now, so i decided to get something that hopefully lasts a while.. i was getting constant erratic what sees like random respomse from cc, and strongly believed the device was picking up background noise from my pc fans or any sounds coming from speaker ambient noises etc., so i switched the recording to the "green light" and lowered the mics recording level in windows sounds right down to about 20, then it stopped randomly responding, but understood basic commands speaking normally, yes finally eureka! solved should of acted on this hunch ages ago lolz, , So just posted this in case anyboody else was having the same issue, try chnging your recording mode and substantially lowering the recording level, worked wonders for me..