PDA

View Full Version : checking in

davehenrie
20-03-2017, 18:22
I'll transfer my discussion about CC with rF2 here, to avoid jamming up the S397 forums.
Current status using v4.6.2.8. Most of the previous functionality seems to work, even, the practice timings seem to be fixed. But I have not gotten any localizations like 'yellow flag at Radillion' Just 'yellow flag in sector 3'
Win10x64. I'm also attempting to get the memory monitor functioning for track corner reporting, but the two crucial items, track name and mLapDist(player) values are not appearing Otherwise...:).... everything seems to be working well.
Speech recognition is very good using the Press and Hold button method.

The Iron Wolf
20-03-2017, 18:25
Yes, this is a nice idea to handle this here instead. Turns out I pointed you to the wrong monitor, will fix that tonight.

BTW, I don't think CC will announce Yellow in corner, it will announce an opponent that is going very slowly under yellow, and is possibly in trouble.

davehenrie
20-03-2017, 19:04
Yes, this is a nice idea to handle this here instead. Turns out I pointed you to the wrong monitor, will fix that tonight.

BTW, I don't think CC will announce Yellow in corner, it will announce an opponent that is going very slowly under yellow, and is possibly in trouble.

ah...so I need to WRECK someone early in a lap and have them limp around.... :) At Brands, I tried that myself, drove slowly on the edge of the course, but I never triggered a yellow. I'll look into that.

The Iron Wolf
20-03-2017, 19:13
haha ;) Keep in mind I am not sure Brands is mapped. You'll be able to check once monitor is reuploaded.

I do not think rF2 triggers yellow when someone drives slowly, the yellow comes on when you're/or someone else is off track. Also, CC won't announce messages about yourself, only opponents.

Thanks for all the inputs so far.

mr_belowski
20-03-2017, 22:16
OK, next version is up with a few changes - more track mappings, more corner names, more tweaks to the rules governing what's said and when and a few bug-fixes. There was a bug that was suppressing the "you're reeling this guy in..." messages, which meant that the "you're faster into corner X" messages were less likely to play.

Same as before, you'll need to download the soundpack update again for the new sounds and apply it manually. The app version number is now 4.6.2.9 so can be installed over the top of the existing one if you want:

http://crewchief.isnais.de/CrewChiefV4.6.2.9.msi
http://crewchief.isnais.de/update_sound_pack_108.zip

The Iron Wolf
20-03-2017, 22:24
:)

I've created http://thecrewchief.org/showthread.php?31-Beta-Test-Thread hopefully that will be easier to have all info in there.

mr_belowski
20-03-2017, 22:25
nice one :)

davehenrie
21-03-2017, 02:54
ok fascinating facts: I just collected the data for Road America and Road America 2016. The 2nd layout was about 200m shorter over-all, but almost every corner was further from the start than the first version. You'd think they would be closer/shorter.

Now how do you want these sent? attached to emails, cut & pasted here?

next question: Did you just drop the decimals i.e. 3.678 =3 or round up or down? 3.499 =3 or 3.501=4?

Track names can also be extracted, if you have driven at a track recently, with the online data plugin called: rF2Log Analyzer current version is 2.54 At least the two tracks I've compared are the same in both the memory monitor and the rf2log.

The Iron Wolf
21-03-2017, 04:52
Dave, I do personally prefer email communication, but it is up to you how would you like to share - if you prefer, paste it here. Jim might disagree with me, but I don't think 10m += matters at high speeds. So I just rounded them to my aesthetical liking (~25m).

You are right about Results log, yes, it contains all the track names you recently launched. And that's how lazy me mapped rF2 track names recently :)

I hope that the 2nd layout has different track name? If it does, we can map them both (sounds from turn1 to turnN can be reused probably).

One suggestion - let's move all conversations to Beta Test, or Corner Data thread, whichever you prefer :)

davehenrie
21-03-2017, 07:29
ok, going to bed so just a short answer...the two Road America Tracks are called Road America and Road America 2016. I used the same corners for each track, just different numbers to match the different locations of each turn. I'll send them tomorrow.
dh
After this I'll join the other thread

davehenrie
23-03-2017, 04:16
Good news! after about 5 versions of CC, I FINALLY heard the corner names! The only thing different I did was ask CC to Spot. Is this necessary? Or did I just finally get everything working correctly? Almost all the speech was in reference to locking a tire in XX corner. The first CC comment I heard said I was locking the left rear at Nascar Bend.(From VIR Full) But then I had several where I was 'locking the left front coming out of Oak Tree' CC may be picking up on some push(understeer?) as I exit the corner and calling it a lock-up. I'm not sure. But I have yet to hear references to other cars in other corners. I'm a-bit busy right now, but I'll get all the versions of VIR done this week. the good news is several of the corners can just be pasted, Looking forward to mapping the corner called BITCH! :)

The Iron Wolf
23-03-2017, 05:40
Glad it works! I bet correct mappings help as well :) Now we need some European track fans help to get tracks right too, you got North America covered I see, thanks man :)

Not sure what do you mean by asking CC to spot, but asking to mark corners is not required for this functionality to get triggered.

Yep, cursing Chief is the best. So, if you didn't, make sure to enable sweary messages in preferences :) My favorite is "pass this little twat". Not sure he says exactly that, I am hard of hearing, but still funny, yet not cheesy.

Is there really such a corner? :)

mr_belowski
23-03-2017, 06:53
Just had a rummage through the code for an obvious explanation for this 'locking out of corner x' issue Dave reported above. It all looks right so i guess i must have mixed up the sound files between the 'locking into corner x' and 'spinning out of corner x'. Which will mean a sound pack update is needed. I'll get back to you :)

mr_belowski
23-03-2017, 07:00
Hmm... sound files are correct so I'm confused. Is the app saying "you're spinning your left front in Oak Tree", and the issue here is that it's a RWD car? What car class was it? I increased the wheel-spin sensitivity a bit - perhaps I've made it too sensitive. I need to allow for the fact that many cars have smaller front tyres

Sparten
23-03-2017, 07:43
I did a few races last night on Spa against AI in AC and i also got spammed with locking up wheels even when i was just lifting off, it could look like lock/spin checking needs to be refined a bit

mr_belowski
23-03-2017, 08:40
I've been thinking about these calculations. The 'locking' test is too sensitive but it's easy to fix - just make it less sensitive (consider the wheel locked if it's actually or very nearly not rotating at all).

The spinning check is much much harder. Each wheel on a moving car has an ideal rotational speed. When a wheel is locked it's stopped or nearly stopped - simple check. When it's spinning it's rotational speed is more than the ideal but obviously can't be faster than the engine is driving it. Pull gently out of a hairpin with the engine at 4000rpm in 1st gear and then nail the throttle and light up the rears. Their max possible rotational speed will be when you hit the rev limiter - say 8000rpm. So the wheels are going 2x their ideal speed - which is a worst-case wheel spin event. Even 20 or 30% over their ideal speed is spinning.

To be this accurate we'd need to know the exact wheel sizes for the driven wheels on all the cars. But even that's not sufficient. When you're turning sharply the outside wheels are going considerably faster than the inside wheels. Perhaps 20% faster (10 metre diameter turning circle, 2 metre wide car) - we need to allow for this and not assume the outside wheel is spinning, while at the same time be sensitive enough to report cases where the outside wheel really *is* spinning. Knowing which are the driven and which are the coasting wheels can help here - work out the ideal speed of the driven wheel by comparing it to the actual speed of the coasting wheel on the same side of the car (allowing for wheel size differences). But this is a lot of data gathering and a lot of farting about :(.

None of this applies to locking - a locked wheel is rotating at a very very small percentage of its ideal speed so we don't need to be accurate, we just need to reduce the sensitivity to stop the inappropriate 'locking' warnings.

For wheel spinning I'm a bit stuck TBH. I might have to disable it until I come up with a solution. I really don't want to have to record wheel sizes and drive train layouts for all the cars (and even if we have this I'm not convinced it'll be sufficient - 4WD and karts are going to be special cases)

Goanna
23-03-2017, 12:11
Rather than having to know wheel sizes etc, what if you did a comparison between front and rear rotation speeds...if rear is rotating faster than fronts (give or take) you have wheel spin...simplistic view I know, but may be starting point to look at?

mr_belowski
23-03-2017, 12:26
The wheels are different sizes (sometimes by quite a lot) which makes that approach a bit error-prone. But there must be a combination of relative rotational speed (front-to-back and side-to-side), vehicle speed, wheel size (measured or estimated) and other things that can reliably do this. I just haven't worked it out yet. In the mean time I'm going to drop the sensitivity of these checks - I'd prefer the app to miss spinning / locking events rather than warn about them when they're not happening :)

davehenrie
23-03-2017, 13:41
Yes there is a corner called Bitch, it cuts off the back straight and adds about ten or twelve more turns for a much longer lap. I was using the US2000 open wheel car which does have a relatively small tire.
Mid Ohio next.

The Iron Wolf
23-03-2017, 14:11
Yes there is a corner called Bitch, it cuts off the back straight and adds about ten or twelve more turns for a much longer lap. I was using the US2000 open wheel car which does have a relatively small tire.
Mid Ohio next.
You can try adjusting wheel sizes for your class. See Car Classes thread in General section of this forum if you would like to try that. But, I've noticed that locking logic is more correct than spinning, especially in sharp turns, so there's room for improvement.

RolandTJ
15-05-2017, 15:59
Thank you so much for what you guys do here.

The Iron Wolf
15-05-2017, 16:06
Welcome RolandTJ, and thanks for your support :)