PDA

View Full Version : Pace notes

mr_belowski
16-11-2017, 19:52
The latest release adds a cool new feature - pace notes. Pace notes can be recorded as you play, using the 'talk to Crew Chief' radio button (in 'hold button' mode). This creates a set of .wav files and a corresponding text file that maps the .wav files to locations on the track (distance-round-lap). Then you can play the pace notes back and each sound file will trigger when you reach the correct location on the track.

You can record them while cruising around, or while watching a replay (replay recording doesn't work in RF1 / RF2 yet).

To record, assign a button to the new "Start / stop recording pace notes" action and ensure you have voice recognition configured in 'hold button' mode (the default). Start the app and start a session (or load a replay). Press the "Start / stop recording pace notes" button. Now when you hold the radio button, the app will record whatever you say and save it as a .wav file. Do this for the whole lap (or do it over multiple laps if you want) and when you're done, press the "Start / stop recording pace notes" again. This will complete the process.

You will then have a new folder in you Documents folder - /Documents/CrewChiefV4/pace_notes/[game-name]/[car-name]/[track-name]/ (e.g. /Documents/CrewChiefV4/pace_notes/pCARS2/F3/Donington GP/).

This contains the wav files and the metadata.json text file.

To play back pace notes, simply start a session with the same game, track and car, and press the "Start / stop playing pace notes" button.

If you want to see how this all sounds and have Raceroom with Macau and a recent WTCC (2014 - 2017) car you can try my sample. You can download this here:
http://crewchief.isnais.de/ExamplePaceNotes.zip

Unzip this to your Documents folder so it creates the folder structure described above, and start the app. When you drive a WTCC car at Macau, you can press the "Start / stop playing pace notes" button or make a voice command - "start pace notes".

Here's how my first effort sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz7lu23ckUE

Scoops
16-11-2017, 21:19
Excellent addition, the ring and any hill climbs are just waiting for this

Bodb
16-11-2017, 22:05
Jesus that's impressive....

Scraping Micha
17-11-2017, 22:27
Aloha!

i did the nordschleife in Assetto Corsa... just corner names now, but early enough at important spots (i think!)

i edited the .json file and took pre recorded audio, after i got the system... :) i m no programmer, but i will 1. make versions for all layouts of the nordschleife and 2. i'll try to extent this version with more information, brake points, hairpin announcements and slowest/most slippy/full throttle/lift gas/etc... stuff.

but so can anybody else, who has a microphone and knowlage of the track, which i actually dont have! :)! i think it all differs a bit, from car to car, from driver to driver, but the corners remain...:D

in this zip are ALL corner names GP included, but those pace notes are for the ks_nordschleife_nordschleife in your C:\users\USERNAME\Documents\CrewChiefV4\pace_notes \ASSETTO_64BIT\-folder!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucpww0orpuidrgh/CrewChief_Pace_Notes_Nordschleife_Instructor_Micha _V1_Only_Corner_Names%28AC%29.zip?dl=0 <=expired, new download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r78ebqtsvaef1dx/CrewChiefV4-Pace_Notes_Instructor_Micha_Nordschleife_V1_for_AS SETTO_64BIT.zip?dl=0

would be nice, if somebody who has some nordschleife experience test if everything is in order and give feedback if something needs to be corrected! :)

have fun!

micha

Scraping Micha
18-11-2017, 17:51
well, was in the mood... :D

included touristenfahrten (in ac only in training or online)

tried to announce the exit in the touristen-strecke... renamed all files... put some instruction files in for manual editing for racers without micophone (the .json-file is almost self explaining)... corrected some announcement positions..., w.i.p.!

DOWNLOAD
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6z7iedke7wedrp/CrewChiefV4-Pace_Notes_Instructor_Micha_Nordschleife_V0.3_for_ ASSETTO_64BIT.zip?dl=0

################################################## ########
CrewChiefV4-Pace_Notes_Instructor_Micha_Nordschleife_V0.3_for_ ASSETTO_64BIT
################################################## ########
for Assetto Corsa 64Bit!

In win7 just put the "ks_nordschleife_XXX" folder into your

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\CrewChiefV4\pace_notes \ASSETTO_64BIT folder,

get on the track and enable "play back Pace Notes" with the assigned button.

Then all corners and section names will be announced.

have fun!

# ###
# ## # #
# ### # #
# # ##
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
#### # #
# ###
# ##
##
###

micha

p.s. does somebody know the track and would like to testdrive and give feedback if it all makes sense and if not, what to correct? :) would be very nice! :)

mr_belowski
18-11-2017, 21:26
Awesome :). Will take a look in the morning

JimmyT
20-11-2017, 08:33
Jesus that's impressive....

+ 1.
I'm astounded at how good that is :cool:

Scraping Micha
20-11-2017, 20:48
did a little fine tuning and changed a few wavs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6z7iedke7wedrp/CrewChiefV4-Pace_Notes_Instructor_Micha_Nordschleife_V0.3_for_ ASSETTO_64BIT.zip?dl=0 updated the zip in the post above.

i fiddled the .json for raceroom as well, but the tourist track differs. in r3e 0 is always start/finish, in ac they both fit. is it possible, to put some offset to the metadatas distanceRoundTrack if needed?? :)

this could be handy, because the faster you drive, the later you get the messages.

greets

micha

Viperion_NZ
05-01-2018, 09:04
Holy cow that's impressive. As a clarification; you use the microphone to record your own voice reciting the pacenotes, which saves them as a .wav file, and then it reads them in Jim's voice?

That's a pretty amazing piece of kit, if true!

mr_belowski
05-01-2018, 09:20
Haha, no, sorry - that would be "magic" :). The example above was one I recorded.

The pacenotes feature is a long way from being magic. You use your microphone to record a wav file, the app logs the distanceRoundTrack when the wav file was recorded, then you do the same for the next corner and so on. When in playback mode, the app just plays back those same wav files when you reach the distanceRoundTrack when you recorded each one.

So it's in your voice.

I'm happy to re-record them in my own voice, but this is obviously a manual process :)

I thought it would be a popular feature but, apart from the "ooo that looks nice" initial reactions, not many folks have expressed an interest. Perhaps I need to provide more examples

Viperion_NZ
05-01-2018, 09:40
Ah that makes more sense :) I'm going to give this a pretty good try - I'm in a Rally league (Assetto Corsa, of all things) where the stages are being generated by the league owner; I may try and record my own pacenotes for a stage or two although I fully expect my attempts to be rubbish :P Currently I'm using a pacenote generator app which is actually pretty good although it uses the default Windows TTS voice which is.... suboptimal ;)

asteroulis
20-01-2018, 07:08
I thought it would be a popular feature but, apart from the "ooo that looks nice" initial reactions, not many folks have expressed an interest. Perhaps I need to provide more examples

I think that's it's the most impressive feature of the software , and I find it incredible being able to do that. It opens a whole world of track learning and teaching as well. But it's something that has to be utilized and build up. Thank you.

flip
28-07-2018, 02:30
Haha, no, sorry - that would be "magic" :). The example above was one I recorded.

The pacenotes feature is a long way from being magic. You use your microphone to record a wav file, the app logs the distanceRoundTrack when the wav file was recorded, then you do the same for the next corner and so on. When in playback mode, the app just plays back those same wav files when you reach the distanceRoundTrack when you recorded each one.

So it's in your voice.

I'm happy to re-record them in my own voice, but this is obviously a manual process :)

I'm sorry others don't think it's very useful and therefore it's not popular. This is an amazing feature and I'm now sorry to not have gotten back into the habit of using CC every single time I drove. I'm going to have some incredible fun with this, although that does mean hearing my own voice. But a very cool addition indeed.

DiegoColafabio
24-02-2019, 09:33
This is an amazing feature, especially when you compare your telemetry with the one of a much fast driver. You can record, for example, where you must brake and what gear use in each corner. An amazing learning tool.

Gtrshop
25-02-2019, 16:47
I was just going to ask about this. How do i do that?

Gtrshop
25-02-2019, 21:03
Ahhh fantastic!

Really easy to configure and get working. After my initial lap I listened to the Pace notes, the recording volume was a bit low, so I opened them in audacity, normalized, trimmed (excess noise), and Eq'ed. Man... a great feature!!

My only question about this would be, other than to re-record the pace note files, is there a way to "slide" a pace note (one, many, several, all?) Ahead? The first attempt at this, I've put the notes a bit too close to where I need to act. Is the name of the file somehow related to the placement of the note? IF the filename was changed to a lower value, would that cause the pace note to trigger sooner?

mr_belowski
26-02-2019, 05:42
It's a long time since I wrote this, but isn't there a meta data file (probably a .json) in the same folder as the sounds? This will contain the lap distances that each sound triggers at

Gtrshop
26-02-2019, 15:47
Yes, I located it. a json file. One of my offending notes.. too close to turn-in, I editied the values from 480 to 380 and it moved it ahead just enough.

Maarten
30-11-2019, 09:39
Hi Jim,

Great feature! thought of building something similar, but found out it's in CrewChief already. At the moment I'm building a telemetry app for RaceRoom and want to make a small interface for the CrewChief pacenotes functionality. (see screenshot)

I've got two questions, if I may ask:

1) Where do you get the Car Class name from? Do you just copy the last portion of the car name? can't find the class name alone in the r3e shared memory table.
2) I see each entry in the metadata file can contain more than one .wav file. These seem to be played in random order. Would it be possible to set a parameter in the entry to specify that you want it to be played all at once. For example you can have a set of standard recordings that you can glue together like: "Right 3", "Long".

Best regards,

Maarten

With the interface you would be able to move the entries to the position on the track you want. Add/Manage recordings. At the moment you see yellow dots on the track, these are the recordings in the metadata file.

mr_belowski
30-11-2019, 10:49
1: Car class name is something i made up to try and create a common car class set across all games. Each Crew Chief car class maps to a car class name (or car model name) in each sim. The mapping is here: https://gitlab.com/mr_belowski/CrewChiefV4/blob/master/CrewChiefV4/carClassData.json

2: that would require a code change but it's simple enough - something like this might work: https://gitlab.com/mr_belowski/CrewChiefV4/compare/master...pace-notes-option

So you'd add a "playAllInOrder": true to the metadata for that pace note and it should just iterate the list and queue each sound

Maarten
30-11-2019, 11:24
Thanks Jim, that would be awesome.

mr_belowski
30-11-2019, 14:44
I've not tested this (at all...) but here's a beta with that change if you want to give it a try: http://crewchief.isnais.de/CrewChiefV4-4.10.0.6_beta.msi

Maarten
30-11-2019, 17:40
That's fast, Just tried it out and can confirm that it works. Thanks Jim!

mr_belowski
01-12-2019, 07:46
cool. That'll be part of the next proper build :)

azaris
15-04-2020, 12:26
This feature is really cool but I am having troubles with it:

1. Could there be a way to use prerecorded pace notes instead of your own voice recordings? It is impossibly hard to drive a rally stage, press and hold various buttons to record, think of the right pace note at the same time, plus have proper sound levels and no verbal stumbles.

Ideally you should be able to drive thru the stage, cue the locations of the pace notes, then go back and review and assign the correct (prerecorded) note to each location. A lot of work, but manageable.

2. There should be a way to say the pace notes are "always on". When I assign the button to turn them on/off, sometimes it just does not work and there is no confirmation that it's on or off, just "confirmed". The lack of aural feedback is really frustrating. The same for turning recording on/off. Imagine doing an entire section thinking you're recording something and then it turns out that the thing wasn't even on.

3. The WAVs sometimes do not work and I don't know why. You hear the crackle, but there's no voice being played out. Are there instructions to what format they should be in?

Thanks for continued development of this feature.

mr_belowski
16-04-2020, 10:26
1: this is already possible. I make a rough set of pace notes while driving around then I go back later and re-record the .wav files and edit the metadata.json file to tweak the trigger locations and other stuff. The format of this json file and the relationship to the wav files and trigger points should be pretty obvious

2: Good idea, I'll add this

3: this smells like a bug. There'll be more options to control pace notes in the next release so it'll be possible to suppress other messages when pace notes are playing, which might help. It's also possible that you have some very short empty wav files in your pace notes set - I get this sometimes when I'm fumbling around with buttons trying to drive the car, remember the pace notes, press the buttons, speak clearly, and all the other multitasking stuff. When I go back and re-record the notes and tweak the metadata.json file I can clean these up

Groove
25-05-2020, 07:33
Just 'found' this awesome feature , and had a crack at recording some pace notes for a new track , couple of questions as its not working as expected ( or maybe it is and Im expecting the wrong thing ! ...or more likely ive done something wrong )

Had a slow cruise around the lap , recording notes as I went, all good. Stopped recoirding and moved to playback mode and they work ! BUT....only for a single lap ? I had a look in the .json and I can see it says Lap:1 . Can I/How do I get them to play for more than one lap ?

Also , i recorded a lot of my notes , when driving slowly around the track so they play far too late, I can see I can edit the position in the .json. Is that in Metres ? So I can just back them all up a bit by taking 20/30 off for example ?

Just DOnated also.......This is to awesome to be 'Free' !

Groove
25-05-2020, 07:44
Ive just compared my json to the one linked in the help files and mine has a few different parameters......example -

{
"description": "",
"gameEnumName": "IRACING",
"carClassName": "GTE",
"trackName": "roadatlanta full",
"welcomeMessage": null,
"entries": [
{
"distanceRoundTrack": 210,
"lapNumber": 1,
"speedWhenRecorded": 7.53570271,
"yawWhenRecorded": -1.54423952,
"recordingNames": [
"roadatlanta full_GTE_210_0_lap_1.wav"
],
"fileNames": [
"210_0_lap_1.wav"
],
"playAllInOrder": false,
"subtitles": null
},

Cpmpared to the example file -

{
"distanceRoundTrack": 605,
"recordingNames": [
"Macau_TC1_605_0.wav",
"Macau_TC1_605_1.wav",
"Macau_TC1_605_2.wav"
],
"fileNames": [
"605_0.wav",
"605_1.wav",
"605_2.wav"
]
},

Groove
25-05-2020, 07:55
Found it....... Multi Lap Pace Notes ! Completely missed that in the Help file ( I don't remember turning it on , maybe that's the default ? )

I see in the example file there are multiple .wav's for each note....how does that work ? ( and how do you set it up? )

mr_belowski
25-05-2020, 08:03
sorry, i should have made the multilap stuff off by default :)

The new parameters in the file are optional - they're used to filter messages so a message might only play if the car speed is greater than some amount ("woah, too fast"), or less than some amount ("get on with it"). The car yaw param is experimental and intended to allow a note to trigger if the driver is late turning in, but I don't know how well this will work.

If you ran the app with multi-lap pace notes disabled, each time you record a pace note at the same point on the lap (give or take 50 metres or something), it'll add the pace note to this list. So at a particular point on the track there will be a list of pace notes for the app to choose from (it will play one selected at random). You can also tell the app to play all the pace notes in the set sequentially. This is useful for rally pace notes where you might need a list of instructions.

The list of sounds also works with multi-lap paces notes but you'll need to fart around with the json, maybe run 2 or more separate recording sessions backing up the recording folder between each one and reassembling the list manually.

Groove
25-05-2020, 08:08
Thanks for confirming.....I've just been through and edited my .json and removed all the Lap bits from each call , hoping that will work and not need me to do them all again ;-)

I've taken an arbitrary '10' off each note to see if it pulls it back 10metres.

I noticed the 'notes' aren't in order in my file , in regards to position on track. Is that normal ? Does it matter ? Did i bugger something up ?;)

Sparten
25-05-2020, 08:36
Just glancing at the code and from what I can see the order is not important, Jim might correct me on this :D

mr_belowski
25-05-2020, 09:04
Yeah, ordering isn't important here. The sounds are trigger when you reach the lap distance. I always find that I need to move the triggers back 20 or 30 metres (or more on fast sections). I'd don't think this is a bug - it's just a matter of getting used to it I think

Groove
25-05-2020, 09:33
thanks guys.......off to do some testing, Maybe an idea for a future tweak ..... Move Pace nots back x metres ? ( would save manually editing the file i guess , but no biggee )

mr_belowski
25-05-2020, 09:45
i'm kinda reluctant to do this because the app should record the trigger point as the user sets it, and it's up to the user to ensure it's in the right place. I know it's a pain, but after doing a couple of pace notes sets you get a feel for it - you need to be earlier than you think on some messages (ones with descriptive instructions). But for one-word messages like "BRAKE" you wouldn't necessarily want to move the trigger point back

Nickdani7
18-10-2020, 11:41
this app is perfect for me and i a m enjoying it . does anyone know though how to change the pacenote timing when i race ? looks like pacenotes come late for me and i want them to be earlier

mr_belowski
18-10-2020, 13:54
The call is made when you reach the distance that's saved with each pace note. If you want them earlier you can either record them earlier or edit the pace notes text file to tweak the distance values

DeviLLand
19-05-2021, 18:22
I love the app so much

klausfelix
18-02-2022, 19:56
To record assign a button to the new Start stop recording pace notes action and ensure you have voice recognition configured in 'hold button' mode the default.
Start the app and start a session or load a replay.

Press the Start stop recording pace notes button.Now when you hold the radio button, the app will record whatever you say and save it as a.
Do this for the whole lap or do it over multiple laps if you want and when you're done, press the "Start / stop recording pace notes again.
This will complete the process.

klausfelix
18-02-2022, 20:00
I know it's a pain, but after doing a couple of pace notes sets.
You get a feel for it you need to be earlier than you think on some messages ones with descriptive instructions.
But for one-word messages like BRAKE you wouldn't necessarily want to move the trigger point back

potedenuni
21-02-2022, 01:25
There was an early comment in this thread that had misinterpreted the feature thinking that the notes were read back in another voice (maybe the voice pack voice?)... I started thinking... how hard would it be to run the .wav files through Windows speech recognition and transcribe them - and then have the voice pack generate the script in the crew chief's voice at the appropriate time...

StudRay
07-05-2022, 00:43
is there a way to make it so i can have multiple sets of pace notes for one track? For instance, i'm working on Nurburgring and I run that track with several different car types. I know that I can specify the car class, but if i want a 2nd car class metadata.json, is that possible?

Sparten
07-05-2022, 06:47
This should already be the default behavior, so yes you can

StudRay
09-05-2022, 04:03
This should already be the default behavior, so yes you can

I'm confused on how to get that to work because everytime I start recording again, it sets the metadata.json to metadata.old and creates a new metadata.json. Hope I'm making sense.

Sparten
09-05-2022, 07:21
If it gets put into "UNKNOWN_RACE" then its cause the carclass is not defined, more on that here https://thecrewchief.org/showthread.php?27-Customizing-Car-Classes, its the only reason i can think of why it would fail.

Sal Paradise
04-01-2023, 22:02
Sadly, I cannot make this feature work.

I have configured "Voice recognition mode" to "Hold button" and assigned a button to "Start / stop recording pace notes".
Driving around the track, I hear the confirmation message after pressing the "Start / stop recording pace notes" button.
I then record various pace notes: I can hear audio feedback (sounds like a short static burst) when I start and stop recording, and I can see the recorded wave files in the expected location: [documents]\CrewChiefV4\pace_notes\IRACING\SPEC_MIATA\oulton fosters

Now the trouble starts: I cannot stop recording the pace notes. Nothing happens when I press the "Start / stop recording pace notes" button.

I saw this entry in the log:
14:39:47.159 : PlaybackModerator: Sound C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\CrewChiefV4\sounds\voic e\pace_notes\recording_ended\2.wav rejected because we're in the middle of a voice command. waitingForSpeech:False holdModeTalkingToChief:True

which may or may not have anything to do with the problem.

The metadata.json file looks initialized, but doesn't have any entries:
{
"gameEnumName": "IRACING",
"carClassName": "SPEC_MIATA",
"trackName": "oulton fosters",
"welcomeMessage": null,
"entries": []
}

I have saved the entire log file and can send it to your for troubleshooting purposes if you think that would help.