PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for future versions

mr_belowski
06-03-2017, 20:09
Following on from a good suggestion from Vytautas, here's a thread to discuss possible (and practical) future additions to the app.

I'll get the ball rolling :)

Raceroom are planning to send proper yellow flag data, and should include the distance from the start line ('distance-round-track') of the incident. Using this data, I could compare it to distance-round-track of the opponents over 2 or 3 seconds and make a pretty good guess at which cars are actually involved in the incident. Then the app could say "[yellow flag in sector 2] [looks like] [Britton] [has binned it]" or something like that.

Something else I was toying with were corner name recordings - rather than just announcing the yellow flag sector, if the distance-round-track is within a certain range this might put the incident at a named section of track (e.g. "Druids" or "The Corkscrew"). The app could announce "[Yellow flag in Druids] [I think] [Britton] [has gone off] or something. To do this I'd have to pottle around in-game collecting corner distance data but that's not hard to do - I already had to do exactly that to get the Project Cars pit entry / exit locations.

The Iron Wolf
06-03-2017, 20:24
Great! One thing I'd like to see is tabbed Preferences organized per game, with General section for common settings. Extra thing will be Search for preference. Would that something community would like to have?

Per corner information would be awesome. I could collect rF2 distances for couple of classic tracks, to see how well those match between games. Alternatively, it can be set in another config file.

mr_belowski
06-03-2017, 20:58
The UI is a bit of a shambles really - especially the properties screen. Its only saving grace is that this awful UI is built from (relatively) little code, so while it looks dreadful at least it's not an unfixable ball of spaghetti code behind it - it started life as just a simple hack to get the UI working but the app's definitely out-grown this approach. So if you're up for the challenge of making it look professional and making it more user-friendly, that would be awesome. I'm not precious about the existing UI at all and find this part of the work really really dull :)

I would be surprised if the corner data wasn't usable for all games. The region for "Druids" for example would be anything from 500m to 600m from the start line (I'm guessing of course). As long as RF2 (and other games) passed the distance-round-track as metres from the start line, the variation in start line position and differences between track models should be small enough to make it work fairly well for all games.

Does RF2 send the 'distance-round-track' of a yellow flag?

The Iron Wolf
06-03-2017, 21:09
We might be able to keep UI almost automatically generated, by adding properties for each setting (Category, Display String, Setting String, Tooltip String). I will look at it at some point, but I really would like to first eliminate the feature gap between Crew Chief and rF2 spotter first.

Yes, you are right, most likely it will be possible to identify corners. After all, all games report similar units for tracks.

I do not think rF2 tells position of incident that caused Yellow. We could try detecting which cars are off track though at the moment Yellow is indicated.

mr_belowski
09-03-2017, 15:59
I've just wired up a first cut of calling who's involved in incidents. If an opponent is in the same sector as a yellow flag, not in the pits and over the course of 3 seconds he moves less than 10 metres along the track then I assume he's 'involved' in the incident. Depending on a few other things (do we have a sound file for his name, is he close to our race position, is he ahead of use) the app triggers a message - "looks like Britton has binned it", or (if we don't have a sound file and his race position <= 6), "looks like P4 has gone off".

Not had the chance to test it in anger - it's all my farting about with race recordings and the debugger, but it looks like a promising first attempt :)

The Iron Wolf
09-03-2017, 16:19
Nice to hear :)

The Iron Wolf
09-03-2017, 16:20
We will call out multiple guys in a mess?

mr_belowski
09-03-2017, 16:21
nah, it only selects a single car - the one it thinks it most interesting. I might extended to allow it to call 2 cars, but any more and it'll get unmanageable I think

The Iron Wolf
09-03-2017, 16:28
Looking forward to hearing that feature.

mr_belowski
09-03-2017, 17:38
[edit] link removed :)

You'll need to add the new sounds files to your .../AppData/local/CrewChiefV4/sounds folder - these are checked into master, in the flag folder (name_has_gone_off_intro, name_has_gone_off_outro, position1_has_gone_off -> position6_has_gone_off)

The Iron Wolf
09-03-2017, 17:54
Got it, will give it a try tonight.

Ernie
10-03-2017, 08:17
Sounds great, guys. Keep rolling.:cool:

mr_belowski
10-03-2017, 11:52
just wired up a load of these corner messages. Still work in progress and more work to be done, but the app can now read the corner name when it tells you someone has gone off - e.g.

"yellow flag in sector 1"
[4 or 5 seconds later]
"looks like Britton has binned it in Druids"

or
"yellow flag in sector 2"
[4 or 5 seconds later]
"we think the leader has gone off in Beckets"

In order for all this to function, we need sound files for corner names - I've recorded these for Bathurst, Brands Indy, Suzuka and Spa, along with some generic ones ("the hairpin" etc). These then need wiring up to game track definitions and track locations, like this:

{
"TrackLandmarksData": [
{
"rf1TrackNames": [ "Bathurst Mount Panorama" ],
"rf2TrackNames": [ "Bathurst" ],
"acTrackNames": [ "acu_bathurst:" ],
"pcarsTrackName": "Bathurst:",
"raceroomLayoutId": 1846,
"trackLandmarks": [
{
"landmarkName": "griffins_bend",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 1290,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 1480,
"isCommonOvertakingSpot": true
},
{
"landmarkName": "the_cutting",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 1720,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 1910,
},
{
"landmarkName": "the_dipper",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 3240,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 3420,
"isCommonOvertakingSpot": false
},
{
"landmarkName": "forrests_elbow",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 3700,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 3800,
},
{
"landmarkName": "the_chase",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 5060,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 5500,
}
]
},
{
"rf1TrackNames": [ "Brands Indy" ],
"rf2TrackNames": [ "Brands Hatch Indy" ],
"acTrackNames": [ "ks_brands_hatch:indy" ],
"pcarsTrackName": "Brands Hatch:Indy",
"raceroomLayoutId": 2520,
{
"landmarkName": "paddock_hill",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 270,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 440,
},
{
"landmarkName": "druids",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 590,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 690,
},
{
"landmarkName": "graham_hill_bend",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 850,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 930,
},
{
"landmarkName": "surtees",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 1230,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 1300,
},
{
"landmarkName": "clearways",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 1350,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 1530,
}
]
},
{
"rf1TrackNames": [ "Brands GP" ],
"rf2TrackNames": [ "Brands Hatch GP" ],
"acTrackNames": [ "ks_brands_hatch:gp" ],
"pcarsTrackName": "Brands Hatch:Grand Prix",
{
"landmarkName": "paddock_hill",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 270,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 440,
},
{
"landmarkName": "druids",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 590,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 690,
},
{
"landmarkName": "graham_hill_bend",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 850,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 930,
},
{
"landmarkName": "surtees",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 1230,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 1300,
},
{
"landmarkName": "westfield",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 2320,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 2480,
},
{
"landmarkName": "stirlings",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 2925,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 3050,
},
{
"landmarkName": "clearways",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 3230,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 3430,
}
]
},
{
"rf1TrackNames": [ "Silverstone -- National Layout" ],
"rf2TrackNames": [ "Silverstone -- National Layout" ],
"acTrackNames": [ "ks_silverstone:national" ],
"pcarsTrackName": "Silverstone:National",
"raceroomLayoutId": 5817,
{
"landmarkName": "copse",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 180,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 360,
},
{
"landmarkName": "beckets",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 730,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 1020,
},
{
"landmarkName": "brooklands",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 1680,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 1830,
},
{
"landmarkName": "luffield",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 1890,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 2060,
}
]
},
{
"rf1TrackNames": [ "Spielberg Grand Prix Circuit" ],
"rf2TrackNames": [ "Spielberg Grand Prix Circuit" ],
"acTrackNames": [ "ks_red_bull_ring:layout_gp", "spielberg:circuit_full" ],
"raceroomLayoutId": 2556,
{
"landmarkName": "turn1",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 310,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 390,
},
{
"landmarkName": "turn2",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 1250,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 1330,
},
{
"landmarkName": "turn3",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 2060,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 2190,
},
{
"landmarkName": "turn4",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 2550,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 2700,
},
{
"landmarkName": "turn5",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 2860,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 3000,
},
{
"landmarkName": "turn6",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 3010,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 3180,
},
{
"landmarkName": "turn7",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 3600,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 3730,
},
{
"landmarkName": "turn8",
"distanceRoundLapStart": 3850,
"distanceRoundLapEnd": 3940,
}
]
}
]
}

So as you can see, there's a fair bit of work to do to capture the necessary data

mr_belowski
10-03-2017, 14:07
Last post for a while - I'm away this weekend (no kids, yay :D)

The code in master now has an additional key binding - "Print track and position info". When you press this while out on track, it writes a line to the console with the track name, your current distance around the lap, and your current car ID. These are the bits of info we need to populate the carClassData.json, and this new-fangled trackLandmarksData.json.

For track landmarks, start a session and drive to the first corner you want the app to know about and press the key you've assigned to "Print track and position info". This writes something like:
TrackName: Bathurst Mount Panorama, distanceRoundLap = 1284.5, player's car ID: Marcas

for Raceroom it'll print the integer IDs instead of names, but it works the same way.

That gets your rf1TrackName / rf2TrackName / raceroomLayoutId / whatever value, and your distanceRoundLapStart value. Drive to the corner exit and do the same for the distanceRoundLapEnd value for this corner, allowing us to build up the information we need in the track landmarks file.

I'm not going to record every corner name in the world, but I've already got recordings for turn1 to turn15, "the hairpin", "the esses" and "the chicane", along with famous corners for Spa, Suzuka, Bathurst, Brands Indy, and a couple of others. For well known corners I do intend to record proper names (as long as I can actually pronounce them). So by using generic names for most corners and proper names for well known ones I think we can build up this data set pretty quickly.

Then we can use it in more imaginative ways - it's currently only wired into the yellow flag announcements, but it's pretty easy to (for example) use it when asking about another player - "where is Britton?"... "P4, 7.6 seconds behind. He's in The Chase".

The Iron Wolf
10-03-2017, 14:13
Very good Jim! Maybe to simplify development, in Debug mode we could also test if player vehicle is the one standing while yellow. I had race yesterday and while there were yellows, nothing was announced, it is a fairly uncommon event. But looks very promising and file structure makes sense.

mr_belowski
10-03-2017, 14:23
good idea, I'll add that

[edit]

actually that's going to be a lot harder than we think because the player isn't in the OpponentData set, which is where all the location and name data is being pulled from

mr_belowski
10-03-2017, 14:35
to make this more sensitive, I've added a user setting max_distance_moved_for_yellow_announcement. Any car in the same sector as the yellow, which has moved less than this many metres round the track over a period of 3 seconds, is considered to be involved in the incident. So if you increase this number from the default (10 metres) it'll make it more likely to make announcements (but they're more likely to be wrong).

I'll package a .msi for this weekend, but you'll need to put all the latest sounds into your AppData/...../sounds/ folder

here's the.msi

[msi removed because it's now out of date]

Feel free to edit this link out of this post when you've downloaded it

The Iron Wolf
10-03-2017, 15:20
Thanks Jim, safe travels, I hope it will be pleasant - change of environment is good.
Anyone would like to help us collect corner distances for their favorite tracks? In addition to Jim's described mechanism, for rFactor 2 there's monitor application, that you can run while driving or even while running AI. It shows mLapDist value, and all the rest of info, track name etc.

I will be able to share out sounds, and latest rF2 binaries of CC.

mr_belowski
15-03-2017, 13:09
Right, quick update on progress...

I've been adding lots of corner name recordings and data. These are used in 2 places - yellow flag announcements ("Yellow flag in sector2... looks like Bob has gone off in The Dipper") and when you're catching / being held up by another car or are being caught / pressured by another car. In these cases the app makes a best-guess as to which corner your best chance at passing will be (or which corner you need to defend in). To do this the app uses the best corner entry speed over the last few laps along with the best total time to complete that corner. It compares these with your opponent and the corner where you're fastest relative to him will be used in a message like "You're reeling Bob in, the gap is now 3.2 seconds... You're faster than him into Tosa". When you're being pressured or caught it works a similar way with with the corner where you're slowest relative to him - "hold your nerve, don't let him distract you... he's quicker than you through Redgate".

The app uses corner entry speed and total time in corner to try and make a best guess as to which corner it should warn you about (it also prioritises corner which are good overtaking spots) - I'm still refining the rules here.

I've wired all this up and done recordings for corners on Brands Hatch (indy and GP), Hockenheim (GP), Donington (national and GP), Imola, Spa, Bathurst, Redbull ring (GP) and Silverstone (national). So there are many more tracks to add data for :)

The Iron Wolf
15-03-2017, 23:17
If there are volunteers willing to collect corner data (or enthusiasts who want to hear something about their favorite tracks), there's rather easy way in rF2 by running my tool and running rF2 in windowed mode with AI driving + pencil or notepad and wikipedia for corner names :)

Wiggin
16-03-2017, 02:33
Right, quick update on progress...

I've been adding lots of corner name recordings and data. These are used in 2 places - yellow flag announcements ("Yellow flag in sector2... looks like Bob has gone off in The Dipper") and when you're catching / being held up by another car or are being caught / pressured by another car. In these cases the app makes a best-guess as to which corner your best chance at passing will be (or which corner you need to defend in). To do this the app uses the best corner entry speed over the last few laps along with the best total time to complete that corner. It compares these with your opponent and the corner where you're fastest relative to him will be used in a message like "You're reeling Bob in, the gap is now 3.2 seconds... You're faster than him into Tosa". When you're being pressured or caught it works a similar way with with the corner where you're slowest relative to him - "hold your nerve, don't let him distract you... he's quicker than you through Redgate".

The app uses corner entry speed and total time in corner to try and make a best guess as to which corner it should warn you about (it also prioritises corner which are good overtaking spots) - I'm still refining the rules here.

I've wired all this up and done recordings for corners on Brands Hatch (indy and GP), Hockenheim (GP), Donington (national and GP), Imola, Spa, Bathurst, Redbull ring (GP) and Silverstone (national). So there are many more tracks to add data for :)

Holy shit that is amazing. It's alive! Well it's getting more alive. That is crazy freaking cool. Also is it possible to get "Yellow flag, wreck/spin/crash in turn 1/2/3/4/tri oval/" for FCY in oval racing, letting the driver know where the accident is ?

mr_belowski
18-03-2017, 15:21
It might be possible. If the corner names and locations are in the game data the app will be able to call the corner be the incident is in, but at the moment to only calls the first driver name who it considers to be involved. But it's early days for this functionality :)

Just added another use case for the corner data. So now it calls corner names where there are incidents, corner names where you should attack / defend when battling, and now corner names where you're​ locking up or wheel spinning

Wiggin
19-03-2017, 05:58
It might be possible. If the corner names and locations are in the game data the app will be able to call the corner be the incident is in, but at the moment to only calls the first driver name who it considers to be involved. But it's early days for this functionality :)

Just added another use case for the corner data. So now it calls corner names where there are incidents, corner names where you should attack / defend when battling, and now corner names where you're​ locking up or wheel spinning

Very awesome. It doesn't even have to be specific to to the driver name. It could just use driver number or just general say "yellow flag, car up against the wall in turn 3". Anywho I patiently await more updates.

mr_belowski
29-03-2017, 09:20
Just put a beta build up - http://thecrewchief.org/showthread.php?38-Beta-Test-Thread&p=605#post605

This does include more yellow flag information about who's involved and where the incident is but it's all a bit untested at the moment and is still restricted to just corners (it knows nothing about cars being up high or down low on the track or whatever)

Scoops
29-05-2017, 13:17
I've come across a problem while mapping corners in rFactor 2. The Paul Ricard circuit v 1.03 and v 2.0 have several layouts in game but the circuit name reports in the CC window as the same for each of the layouts. Is there another property reported somewhere that would differentiate between the versions? I'll skip it for the time being and map some other tracks.

The Iron Wolf
29-05-2017, 15:54
I've come across a problem while mapping corners in rFactor 2. The Paul Ricard circuit v 1.03 and v 2.0 have several layouts in game but the circuit name reports in the CC window as the same for each of the layouts. Is there another property reported somewhere that would differentiate between the versions? I'll skip it for the time being and map some other tracks.
Hello Scoops!

I think the cleanest way will be to extract .gdb, change track name, and repack back, also, notify author of a problem. That is provided .mas is not encrypted. Sure, there are ways of hacking this up (say, depend on track length), but it is a rare case and I don't think it justifies adding feature to CC.

Thank you for your contributions! I've added your mappings to CC, hopefully Jim will record corner names when he gets a chance. Cheers!

Scoops
29-05-2017, 22:15
I think I'll leave Paul Ricard for a while there are plenty of other tracks that need corners mapping before I need to think about the problem ones. Hopefully that will be the only one with that issue.

I did have a thought about future ideas for CC but not sure how possible it would be.
While in a practice session could CC keep data or calculate data so that it could give feedback on suggested setup changes?

So if rear brakes are locking before fronts part of the suggestion would be to move the brake bias. If the centre tyre temp was higher on a particular tyre then suggest to reduce pressure in that tyre.If tyre temps suggest it then a camber adjustment. If the car bottoms out then a suggested ride height change? If this is possible then I would suggest only triggering a response when asked as you don't want to be frequently told to make camber changes when you are trying to learn whether the next corner goes left or right!

I'll go back to mapping corners now????

RolandTJ
30-05-2017, 20:46
Something which would be a huge game-changer is calling out fuel usage. For example, "you used 4.1 litres that lap" after the spotter calls the laptime. Also, calling how many litres left to one decimal place at the beginning of a lap would be fantastic.

Scoops
07-07-2017, 21:37
Having the normal Friday night race night and had a slight off on the last lap. I was told by CC it wasn't bad enough to pit which was a pointless comment for the last lap. I got me thinking if there are other messages that wouldn't be appropriate on the last lap and is it worth making the last lap a special instance that stops certain messages or replaces them with alternatives. So rather than a message stating heavy aero damage you'll have to pit how about its the last lap you're going to have to nurse it home?

coret3x
16-08-2017, 17:44
I often race races where I have full tank or similar and it's hard to remember which lap I was to pit. Especially since I use VR and then I can't see any notes. For example, I have tested and know that softs only last 9 laps and supersofts lasts 6 laps. So it would be very useful to create a pitstop planner in crewchief. Like PITSTOP PLANNER " Plan pitstop at lap 9 and 15" with some easy number picker for laps? Announcement could be what is used today "Pit this lap" or similar. Could this be an idea?

The Iron Wolf
16-08-2017, 17:59
I often race races where I have full tank or similar and it's hard to remember which lap I was to pit. Especially since I use VR and then I can't see any notes. For example, I have tested and know that softs only last 9 laps and supersofts lasts 6 laps. So it would be very useful to create a pitstop planner in crewchief. Like PITSTOP PLANNER " Plan pitstop at lap 9 and 15" with some easy number picker for laps? Announcement could be what is used today "Pit this lap" or similar. Could this be an idea?

Which game are you talking about? rF2 (and rF1, I've not tested that) takes into account in game scheduled pit stops and will announce them for you. Just make sure pit stop prediction is enabled for those games.

But, this is a nice idea generally, because such scheduler can work with any game independent of how good it's data is and even in rF2, all we do is split race distance into equal parts, so 6 and 9 laps won't work.

mr_belowski
16-08-2017, 19:08
It's a nice idea - would it work with a voice command? Like "pitstop reminder lap 12" or something

Reiche
16-08-2017, 19:58
I had an idea quite a while ago which didn't get realised. I was playing around with different sims lately and as not all of them have some HUD interface for the pedals, I had to think about it again.

I was desiring a tiny little app lately, I wonder if someone knows an existing one or is able to create it (which should not be too difficult/time-intensive with the skills required):

I switched to load cell pedals lately and I'm still trying to learn where the maximum of my pedal input is. I'd be more than happy to have an app which is giving me acoustic feedback when I reach 100% of input. I know there are several pedal overlay apps out there, but: wearing a Rift, the resolution is quite limited.. So it's either hard to read (+ you have to literally look elsewhere) or it's big enough and in the center of your view, but you cannot see other information in that place any longer.

At first, I just had a sound (peep) for 100% input in mind, but there could be extended options for 33/50/66/etc% with increasing volume for example of the speed of the sounds (thinking of park distance control in cars right now, where the peeping gets faster the closer you come to an object with a final, static peep for 'close enough').

If it is possible to catch the signal "outside" of the sim (DIView comes to my mind where I can set my pedals to my liking), it could be a very small app covering different sims at once - no need to fiddle with different API and stuff.
The "app" could aswell just be an option inside the CrewChief app.

If anyone knows about a similar app or is interested in creating what I described, please send me a PM

Best regards and keep racing,
Reiche

I posted it to the RD/AC mod request thread, really no idea if (and if: how difficult/easy) this could be implemented. Guess it won't be too popular as it's rather specific...

coret3x
17-08-2017, 07:41
@belowski: unfortunately I dont use voice commands. @iron wolf: i use assetto corsa.

coret3x
03-09-2017, 17:21
another thing. it would be cool if the pace reported was not compared to the qualify session. it's a bit bad to be a disappointment all the race (you are 0.4 seconds off pace in sector one etc). Could this be looked into? Qualify time is very often done with low fuel and other settings that cannot compare to race session.

mr_belowski
03-09-2017, 17:39
The pace is always (or should be...) relative to the pace of the fastest car in that session so it shouldn't be using qually times.

coret3x
03-09-2017, 20:17
oh so its not comparing to my own pace. sorry. could that be an option? i am participating in some races where the top drivers are a lot better and comparing pace with them is not really interesting

mr_belowski
04-09-2017, 07:36
might be able to do something there. The challenge is how to switch between the 2 modes (compare to fastest / compare to self) in a sensible non-clunky way

The Iron Wolf
04-09-2017, 14:25
might be able to do something there. The challenge is how to switch between the 2 modes (compare to fastest / compare to self) in a sensible non-clunky way
I was thinking that voice command will do here, not for a switch, but for asking the right question. However, not everyone uses voice, which might be an issue.

mr_belowski
04-09-2017, 14:43
and what would the right question be? Bear in mind it has to be sufficiently different from the "how's my pace" question for the speech recogniser to be able to cut through my Northern drawl and make sense of it :)

The Iron Wolf
04-09-2017, 15:07
and what would the right question be? Bear in mind it has to be sufficiently different from the "how's my pace" question for the speech recogniser to be able to cut through my Northern drawl and make sense of it :)
And that's what I couldn't come up with Jim. Obviously, "How's my own pace?" "How's my self pace?" are first on my mind, but they're too close to "How's my pace". "What's my self-relative pace?" weeeeeird :D

mr_belowski
04-09-2017, 15:24
tricky isn't it :D

Goanna
05-09-2017, 02:28
What is my delta gap...or something along those lines?

The Iron Wolf
05-09-2017, 04:30
What is my delta gap...or something along those lines?
Or self-gap. Good idea Goanna.

Ernie
07-09-2017, 05:21
oh so its not comparing to my own pace. sorry. could that be an option? i am participating in some races where the top drivers are a lot better and comparing pace with them is not really interesting
Agree with that idea. My own pace (delta) would be more interesting to compare, than some other faster (maybe alien) drivers in the grid, which i know i can't even match (and with a pace i don't even care about :p).