PDA

View Full Version : Lastest version 4.7.8.9 wont run for me with TTS

inthebagbud
29-08-2017, 16:36
I have updated today to the lastest version with a sound pack update as well and the version will not work for me

When running the app nothing happens but the app appears in task manager as running . I removed app and deleted the 3 folders, installed a version I had back in april (4.6.4.5)and this worked, I then proceeded to install the 3 packs across the top

soundpack - installed and heard the radio check fine
driver names - installed and heard the radio check fine
personalisation - installed and heard the radio check fine
updated to latest version - installed and heard radio check

Properties - set my properties as the install was new and the app restarted but no console appears - task manager says the app is running

stop app using task manager

renames 2 directories in local user folder

repair install and console is back

soundpack - installed and heard the radio check fine
driver names - installed and heard the radio check fine
personalisation - installed and heard the radio check fine
updated to latest version - installed and heard radio check
go to my properties and narrow the issue down to use TTS and the app doesn't function

Ran a repair on the 2 speech files but this didn't help

So it seems to be TTS related , when I update sound pack CC says no language specified click yes to set default to English so not sure if something has broken at my end as had no issue with tts before. I have checked and language pack is installed for UK & USA English with UK as default

The Iron Wolf
29-08-2017, 17:06
Quick question which I wasn't clear on: have you tried deleting C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Britton_IT_Ltd\ folder?

Do you know what locale, language your OS is running in?

mr_belowski
29-08-2017, 17:53
it's hanging here:

synthesizer.SelectVoiceByHints(VoiceGender.Male, hasAdult ? VoiceAge.Adult : VoiceAge.Senior);

this fix is to change this to:

// this appears to just hang indefinitely. So don't bother trying to set it and let the system use the default voice
// which will probably be shit, but MS TTS is shit anyway and now it's even shitter because it crashes the fucking
// app on start up. Nobbers.
// synthesizer.SelectVoiceByHints(VoiceGender.Male, hasAdult ? VoiceAge.Adult : VoiceAge.Senior);

Not cool.

mr_belowski
29-08-2017, 21:24
OK, good news and bad...

I've fixed the issue, but because the app hangs on start up with this Use TTS enabled, the auto updater won't run. So there are 2 options - either update it manually (download and run the installer from here: http://thecrewchief.org/forumdisplay.php?15-Download-CrewChief-for-PC)

Or manually edit your user.config file -

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Britton_IT_Ltd\CrewChiefV4[some random crap]\4.7.8.9\user.config

and change

<setting name="use_tts_for_missing_names" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>

to

<setting name="use_tts_for_missing_names" serializeAs="String">
<value>False</value>
</setting>

inthebagbud
30-08-2017, 09:02
Well the good news out weighed the bad and we are back up and running but not heard any TTS names yet - will keep you updated

mr_belowski
30-08-2017, 09:13
I removed the code which tries to tell the TTS engine which voice to use. The API calls them 'hints' - I give the TTS engine a 'hint' that it should use an adult male voice. It's a fcking *stupid* API - I should be able to *tell it* what to do, not give 'hints', as if I have to ask it nicely and it may or may not do as I ask. It's a crap API anyway, but the fact that it just hangs when you give it a 'hint' is rubbish. Perhaps I could have given it a 'hint' to "just fucking well work as advertised".

The TTS engine is still wired up but it'll use whatever the default voice is - usually this is Microsoft "David" so it should work OK. But who knows...

inthebagbud
30-08-2017, 10:18
i have had a tts voice - I had the system sounds to low

Thanks for the fix

mr_belowski
30-08-2017, 10:26
Cool, thanks for confirming. I can't race with TTS now because every time it kicks in it boils my piss and I crash