PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: "Chief, call out my apex speeds"

matt42s
24-02-2020, 05:51
I think it would be AWESOME if Jim could call out my apex speeds - for the rest of the session, or until I told him to shut the f up. Apex speeds might not be part of the SDK, but Joel Real Timing shows them in the timing/standings overlays - maybe they're watching for something like a "recent minimum speed"? They're not particularly useful in JRT because they're not easy to glance at.

Sparten
24-02-2020, 06:40
I guess this could be done, I have never used JRT, but I installed it to check the UI to see if there was something that could give me a hint on how he does this, It looks like you first have to generate a track map and set the number of turns, and then apex speed will be the minimum speed at a given corner is this correct ?

matt42s
24-02-2020, 10:53
I've never needed to generate a track map OR set a number of turns in JRT. I don't know what algorithm it is using but I figure it would be reliable enough to start an "apex loop" when you touch the brakes, watch the speed for a minimum and call it out when full throttle is seen. You could add filters like "activate after 3 sec of full throttle" and "deactivate after an offtrack incident" to prevent Jim from being overly chatty but that's maybe unnecessarily fancy. I could try asking Joel what he's doing if you think you could get it programmed.

matt42s
26-02-2020, 06:40
Joel said he's just looking at minimum speed, not throttle or brake. When speed is decreasing, keep watching for a minimum and report it as an apex speed when it starts increasing. A simple short time filter prevents it from being too noisy.