PDA

View Full Version : naudio plays messages on wrong output when windows default output is changed

pingtoft
05-05-2019, 16:38
I use two outputs: headset for iRacing and crewchief and speakers which is Windows default output.
With nAudio I set messages and background playback to go to the headset.
If I then change Windows output (clicking the speaker in the processbar and selecting the headset from the drop down), messages are played on the speakers.
However, the scratch sounds in message start and end (beeps?) still go to my headset.
Telling crewchief to then use the speakers, messages are sent to the headset.
Restarting crewchief corrects the problem.

mr_belowski
05-05-2019, 16:50
That sounds familiar... I think we encountered this issue when we were first testing nAudio. It was difficult to fix and a bit of an edge case so, if I remember correctly, we just kinda hoped no one would notice...

[edit]

it's the same with volume adjustments - they affect the messages immediately but not the beeps until a restart

pingtoft
05-05-2019, 20:20
Aha!
My theory was that it was because Windows would reindex the output devices and as such would be relatively easy to fix.
It's nothing I can't live with so I'll pretend I never noticed it :)

mr_belowski
05-05-2019, 20:25
it's down to the way the app caches sounds - it's not easy to fix. Fortunately the beeps-ignoring-volume-adjustments was easy to fix, so that's now in today's hotfix (which was needed because I screwed up the spotter in yesterday's slightly sleepy release)