PDA

View Full Version : Crewchief Causing Major Lag

Gtrshop
22-04-2019, 16:50
Just installed the latest update to CC Saturday or Sunday, whenever it was pushed. HUGE lagging when it running.
Parking the car and tabbing to shut down the app, the icon on the task bar does not respond.
Opened Task Manager to kill process and CC was displayed as Not Responding.

Also got an Out of Memory Error on my system after updating CC... I had walked away to answer phone and left sim
running, car parked in garage whn that message occured. Updated Java, uninstalled Java re-booted and
re-installed (only 64bit version), no affect or correction. Ran 2 laps at Nurburgring without lag after closing CC.

mr_belowski
22-04-2019, 17:44
Which game ?

Gtrshop
22-04-2019, 18:31
Sorry, Iracing

mr_belowski
22-04-2019, 18:35
Can you post the console output when it's behaving like this please

Gtrshop
22-04-2019, 18:54
I will give it a shot, sure... But usually it's locked up unresponsive.

Gtrshop
22-04-2019, 20:24
This was the last log file generated, this morning.

Gtrshop
22-04-2019, 21:08
So, just ran @ Le Mans, and could fee the lag, Turned off CC and it was gone.
See screen shots for memory use; also when I stopped CC how the unresponsive GUI appeared.
I could not click on the [X] to close CC, and when I did Windows gave me a message that CC had crashed.l

mr_belowski
22-04-2019, 21:34
hmmm... can't see anything from the log file.

A couple of things to try... First, disable nAudio playback - the screenshot shows that you're using it. You might need to change your default sound 'playback' device in the Windows control panel so Crew Chief sends audio to the right device. Windows 10 also includes the option to route audio from a specific application to a chosen output device.

nAudio has been know to cause some issues so it's worth disabling that first.

Next thing to try is to delete everything in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Britton_IT_Ltd\

this will reset the app to its default settings.

We've made some changes in the way iRacing position data is handled but I don't (yet) understand why it would behave like this

Gtrshop
22-04-2019, 21:42
I'm using Win7.

I don't know what nAudio is, I have a very particular audio system (see screenshot) that runs via Firewire - CC is going exactly where I want it to, as are other apps, being routed appropriately.

Even when the GUI says No Responding, CC tells me my fuel load. THat is unless it is not actually telling me correctly, it plays "You got loads"....

When I try an exit CC, my memory load soars... right up to 15Gb.... and then I get a message it crashes.

mr_belowski
22-04-2019, 21:59
Maybe it's related to this issue: http://thecrewchief.org/showthread.php?1122-CrewChief-4-9-7-4-issues-with-iRacing&p=5360&viewfull=1#post5360

Once I get a better idea of what's going on I'll update you

Gtrshop
23-04-2019, 03:11
I was doing a few practice laps prior to a league race and I noticed that as I was switching black boxes (with keys, not CC) the stutter was quite noticeable. Not every time, but if I waited a few seconds and pressed for any Black Box, chances were good I would get a hiccup. I ran the league race without CC and intentionally switched Black Boxes more frequently and did not see the issue .

Coanda
07-09-2020, 04:45
Mainly at the start of a session (and during) CC will switch from my headphones to the monitor speakers.. When it does this it stutters and if the stutter is large enough it sometimes locks up my wheel.. The switching of the speakers I have noticed this in iR, AMS2, RRE, ACC.. My headphones are set to the default device in windows.. I looked in the log and nothing was unusual..

Any clues as to what I can do to fix this issue..?

Coanda
10-09-2020, 07:23
Is there no fix for this behavior..? I just ran a iRacing session and it swapped to my monitor speakers briefly and locked up my system..

mr_belowski
10-09-2020, 07:32
it's not CC doing this. Something is broken in your audio drivers but I have no idea what it could be

Coanda
10-09-2020, 07:39
Thanks for the reply.. Could it be Equalizer APO or Peace EQ..?

I just hit the wall in iR and it locked my wheel and almost ripped my hands off..

I can see this in the log..

15:40:03.976 : Disconnected from iRacing Shared Memory
15:40:03.989 : Spotter thread terminated.

mr_belowski
10-09-2020, 08:13
to honest i have no idea, you'll have to test one thing at a time to eliminate the possibilities.

USB sound devices can have some pretty weird issues - maybe start there?

Coanda
10-09-2020, 14:08
Rightio will do.. I'm doing a full PC rebuild next week so hopefully the new audio chip will work better because it's a great audition to sim racing so I hope I can run it..

toarak
10-09-2020, 17:20
I have the same problem here with Raceroom instead of iRacing.
Seems like CrewChief takes ages and the log is telling me that he has an error with a function in the code.

As a short excerpt from the log:
18:55:59.372 : Using unmapped driver last name muñoa for raw driver name pablo muñoa
18:56:04.886 : Clip DELAYED_Timings/gap_behind is not valid
18:56:04.894 : Queue is too long to play clip COMPOUND_sectorDeltas max permitted items for this message = 3 queue: DELAYED_Timings/gap_behind, race_time/ten_minutes_left, pearls_of_wisdom/neutral, COMPOUND_sectorDeltas, COMPOUND_retirement
18:56:04.895 : PlaybackModerator: Opening radio channel as Chief
18:56:09.405 : Playing sounds, events: race_time/ten_minutes_left, pearls_of_wisdom/neutral, COMPOUND_retirement
18:56:09.405 : We've been interrupted after playing 0 events
18:56:09.405 : Clip COMPOUND_localFlagChange_yellow has expired after being queued for 3864 milliseconds
18:56:09.416 : Playing sounds, events: race_time/ten_minutes_left, pearls_of_wisdom/neutral, COMPOUND_retirement
18:56:09.416 : (race_time/ten_minutes_left)
18:56:12.640 : Removing immediate clip spotter_Lee/car_left
18:56:13.330 : Overtake considered not clean due to yellow flag.
18:56:14.374 : Removing immediate clip spotter_Lee/clear_left
18:56:14.543 : PlaybackModerator: Blocking queued messasge C:\Users\Pascal\AppData\Local\CrewChiefV4\sounds\v oice\race_time\ten_minutes_left\1_op_prefix_ok.wav because at least 1 SPOTTER message is waiting
18:56:14.549 : PlaybackModerator: Messages triggering block logic: spotter_Lee/car_right(SPOTTER)
18:56:14.549 : We've been interrupted after playing 1 events
18:56:14.549 : Playing sounds, events: spotter_Lee/car_right
18:56:14.549 : (spotter_Lee/car_right)
18:56:14.549 : PlaybackModerator: Injecting: end_bleep and alternate_short_start_bleep messages. Spotter interrupted Chief.
18:56:16.046 : Use per minute = 1.0 estimated minutes to go (including final lap) = 10.5 current fuel = 11.8 additional fuel needed = -1.8
18:56:16.481 : Removing immediate clip spotter_Lee/car_right
18:56:20.587 : PlaybackModerator: Closing radio channel as Spotter
18:56:28.287 : There are 2 more events in the queue, playing them...
18:56:28.287 : Clip COMPOUND_localFlagChange_clear has expired after being queued for 12217 milliseconds
18:56:28.287 : Playing sounds, events: spotter_Lee/clear_right
18:56:28.287 : (spotter_Lee/clear_right)
18:56:29.971 : 09/10/2020 18:56:29|Fatal|<>c__DisplayClass48_0.<ReadBytesAsync>b__0|System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream'.
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndRead(IAsyncRes ult asyncResult)
at WebSocketSharp.Ext.<>c__DisplayClass48_0.<ReadBytesAsync>b__0(IAsyncResult ar)
18:56:30.004 : 09/10/2020 18:56:30|Fatal|<>c__DisplayClass48_0.<ReadBytesAsync>b__0|System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream'.
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndRead(IAsyncRes ult asyncResult)
at WebSocketSharp.Ext.<>c__DisplayClass48_0.<ReadBytesAsync>b__0(IAsyncResult ar)

This Fatal is occuring about every minute, and is it looks the queue has problems to get done in time. I already have broken down the crewchief info to just to spotter after this log happened and even then it's the same.

During the race there are minor lags all the time and usally 2 major lags while driving
1st during start
2nd sometimes during the race

Error is only happing since i downloaded the latest sound pack, i've already gone back to an older version of crew chief but it's still the same. Default settings also didn't help

Coanda
10-09-2020, 17:25
I also have issues RRE, AMS2, ACC...

mr_belowski
10-09-2020, 17:43
CC doesn't explicitly use any of the System.Net.Sockets library *except* for ACC, pCars2 and F1 2019/2020 UDP data reading. As you're playing RaceRoom (and iRacing in Coanda's case) any errors associated with this package will be generated inside one of the libraries CC is using - in this case it's the audio playback.

There are 3 possible audio playback routes in CC. By default it uses the built-in .Net sound player which sends it sounds to the default 'Sounds Playback' device in the Windows sounds control panel. If you set the app to use nAudio for playback it will (by default) use a WaveOut device and you can select the sound device to send the sounds to in the main CC UI. CC also supports WASAPI sound playback when running in nAudio mode - there's a dropdown called "nAudio Output Interface Type" in the properties screen where this can be selected.

As the exception isn't in the CC code, it's likely that it's coming from the Windows audio stack - perhaps one of the 3 audio playback approaches will be more stable, I don't know. Typical culprits are USB sound devices repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting, software sound routing applications, and the latest Windows build (2004) behaving oddly.

In all cases there's not much I can do about it other than to suggest you experiment with the different CC audio playback modes and investigate any possible hardware, software, USB or other issues on your system.

I've not heard of corrupted sound files having this kind of effect but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. You can remove or rename the folder C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\CrewChiefV4\ and allow the app to re-download it all again on the next start up, it might be worth a try. All the sounds in my spotter_Lee/clear_right/ folder are fine and there has been no change there for a long time so it's unlikely to be that particular sound set

Coanda
10-09-2020, 18:37
Thank you for the replay and info. My 7.1 USB headphones sound horrible in 3.5mm stereo mode.. I will test it out though. I disabled my monitor in the windows/sounds/playback options so it wont swap sound devices. This works ok however there is still system lockups. I tried pausing my AV software and it did run 3 brief sessions in iR pretty good however it just locked up again..

and you can select the sound device to send the sounds to in the main CC UI.

I'm sorry I do not see a sound device list in the main CC Ui.. Did I misunderstand something here..?

mr_belowski
10-09-2020, 18:43
Enable the nAudio playback option in the properties screen

Coanda
10-09-2020, 18:53
gotchya.. maybe this will fix my issue..

add: nah

toarak
10-09-2020, 19:23
Is there a way to get the old sound pack to check if it's the soundpack which is causing those problems?

Raced on Monday with the old - no problem
Since i installed the new one - only problems

mr_belowski
10-09-2020, 19:46
Yeah, it's possible. You'll have to delete the AppData/local/CrewChiefV4/sounds/voice/ folder then u unzip the full download from the previous pack to replace the missing voice folder. I'll just go find the url

mr_belowski
10-09-2020, 19:49
http://crewchief.isnais.de/base_sound_pack_176.zip

toarak
11-09-2020, 07:46
Thanks, i'll check if the old soundpack works, so we know it's the latest pack.
Since nothing change on my system for ages, this is the only thing which i would say is causing the problems, since an older CC version with latest soundpack still has the same issues as the latest CC version

toarak
11-09-2020, 09:38
So, checked the old soundpack. Did work smooth and perfect as ever and my good old CC was my buddy in crime :)
Tells me something in the new soundpack is causing problems.

mr_belowski
11-09-2020, 10:38
I'm at a loss here. There's nothing in the sound pack update that should cause this.

Perhaps your PC is under memory pressure and the additional files are tipping it over the edge? By default Crew Chief will load each of the sound files into memory and just before it plays a sound it converts the raw binary data for the sound into a playable sound object. This means that the app has a byte array in memory for each sound file. It makes the app very CPU and IO efficient (all the expensive file handling and memory allocation is done at start up time) but it does use a lot of memory.

The app can be configured to run without this cache, so it'll read the sounds off the disk as and when they're needed. It makes it much more memory efficient (the downside is that it uses other resources for file IO and memory allocation while you're racing).

I suggest you back up your AppData/local/CrewChiefV4/ folder (the 176 sound pack), launch CC and change the "Cache sounds" property to be unchecked. Close CC then edit AppData/local/CrewChiefV4/sounds/sound_pack_version_info.txt and change the text 177 to 176. This will make CC prompt you to update the sound pack on the next start up. Start CC up again and allow it to complete the sound pack update process.

When you next run it, it will be using the latest sound pack (177) but its memory footprint will be reduced from nearly 1gig down to 120meg or so. Like I said, this is a trade-off but it's worth a try.

Another option that will have a similar effect is "Load sound files on startup". Unchecking this prevents the app from putting all the sound data into memory, but it still allows the sounds to be cached. If "Cache sounds" is enabled and "Load sounds on startup" is disabled, the app's memory use will start very low and gradually increase as sounds are loaded when needed then held in memory in case they're needed again. Disabling the cache entirely with the "Cache sounds" property will make the app re-load a sound each time it's needed

toarak
11-09-2020, 11:02
I don't think i've got memory trouble with 64GB DDR4 RAM ;)
Yesterday i checked what happened if i turn off every sound file but one, still the issue remains. Does CC load the soundfiles whatever you want and just not play the files, or would uncheck the sounds mean these files arent loaded at all? If that would be the case it seems to be not memory related.

I will check your idea in the evening and take a look onto memory and cpu load, perhaps i can help you find a clue.

mr_belowski
11-09-2020, 12:00
cc loads all the sounds into memory on startup and caches them by default. It loads them just before they're played if the 'load sound files on startup' is unchecked, and may or may not cache them depending on the 'cache sounds' setting.

64gig of ram suggests you shouldn't be under any memory pressure.

Presumbly the console output each time you get this issue shows a different sound being played just before the crash? Or is is always the same sound?

toarak
11-09-2020, 12:21
Just checked the old log files, it's never the same sound... already found 4 different sounds before the error is shown.
I will now go on with your other suggestion and check how CC handles it if i change the caching

toarak
11-09-2020, 13:09
First i thought your idea with the Cache sounds would work with the latest sound pack.
BUT
No i can check whatever i want, i don't have any problems at all.... or at least at the moment.... I will keep an eye on it, but as it seems the first download was broken and hence caused the errors.

mr_belowski
11-09-2020, 13:17
corrupted files in the sound pack folder would be the only explanation that makes any sense at this point - I hope you're right :)

toarak
11-09-2020, 14:37
We will see when the next pack is released :)

Coanda
11-09-2020, 15:25
I just tested ACC with 7 or 8 race restarts and v176 is working much better than v177.. No hiccups or lockups thus far.. :cool:

mr_belowski
11-09-2020, 15:40
sounds like you might have some issue with the 177 sound pack download too :(

I have a 178 pack in the works at the moment - i'll add the 177 sounds to the update file for the 178 pack, so all users will have fresh copies of those files that were added in 177, in case they are more folks in the same position

Coanda
11-09-2020, 15:55
I thought so too so I ran a some more tests however this time on iRacing and it was running better however it just locked up again.. First I lost the iRacing audio which I could get back if I swapped between Direct Audio and xAudio2 (my preset choice) however when I exited the pits it locked up like it was doing in v177..

damn i thought i was golden there.. I'll try playing around with the cache options..

thanks in advance for 178..

mr_belowski
11-09-2020, 16:19
Coanda, as I said in the other post, it looks like your issue is different - something to do with your audio system. Windows, drivers, I don't know

Coanda
11-09-2020, 16:27
yeah most likely however it was worth a shot with 176.. I'll give it a rest for now until i rebuild my new PC next week.. If it's still playing up then I'll try and remove software like Equalizer APO..

I haven't had CC for all these years however once you try it, it is hard to go back..

thanks for all of your help it is much appreciated..

Coanda
20-09-2020, 06:56
I just upgraded to this:- i9 10850k | ASUS Maximus XII Formula Z490 | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3800 CL14.

There is still lockups and crashes in iR.. It spits and farts a little in ACC however it powers through it..

I will ask the question again. Can Equalizer APO be causing any issue here..?

mr_belowski
20-09-2020, 08:35
it's a possibility. Most users have no issues with CC. I certainly don't and my system spec is much lower - there's no measureable difference in performance and stability with or without CC running so there's clearly something fishing with your system. I did already point out that 3rd party audio software can behave weirdly - it's possible that APO might be an issue

The Iron Wolf
20-09-2020, 14:15
I just upgraded to this:- i9 10850k | ASUS Maximus XII Formula Z490 | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3800 CL14.

There is still lockups and crashes in iR.. It spits and farts a little in ACC however it powers through it..

I will ask the question again. Can Equalizer APO be causing any issue here..?
I am using Equalizer APO on 2 audio cards driving transducers with no issues on 8700k. However, depending on how it is configured, it definitely can cause issues. It for one, for sure adds delay to audio processing, and if you add a lot of settings, it could cause problems.

What audio output mode do you use in CC? The safest is the default .NET output, followed by nAudio WaveOut and then WASAPI (but you may need to raise latency there).

Coanda
20-09-2020, 16:31
I am using Equalizer APO on 2 audio cards driving transducers with no issues on 8700k. However, depending on how it is configured, it definitely can cause issues. It for one, for sure adds delay to audio processing, and if you add a lot of settings, it could cause problems.

What audio output mode do you use in CC? The safest is the default .NET output, followed by nAudio WaveOut and then WASAPI (but you may need to raise latency there).

These days I don't have a lot of settings.. Just a 31 band EQ with no filters..

I have tried all the CC audio modes.. Default worked the best. I just did a test whereby disabling Equalizer APO and Peace UI and CC ran flawlessly in ACC and iR for several races now. Happy days however I am sad to loose my EQ software.. I also tested my headphones using both a USB connection (Plantronics driver) and 3.5mm jack (Realtek driver) and both where fine. Because you are using Equalizer APO with no issues I wonder if the Peace Ui is causing some issue.. I will run some further tests tomorrow with Equalizer APO on and Peace Ui off..

Thanks for chipping in :)

The Iron Wolf
20-09-2020, 19:08
These days I don't have a lot of settings.. Just a 31 band EQ with no filters..

I have tried all the CC audio modes.. Default worked the best. I just did a test whereby disabling Equalizer APO and Peace UI and CC ran flawlessly in ACC and iR for several races now. Happy days however I am sad to loose my EQ software.. I also tested my headphones using both a USB connection (Plantronics driver) and 3.5mm jack (Realtek driver) and both where fine. Because you are using Equalizer APO with no issues I wonder if the Peace Ui is causing some issue.. I will run some further tests tomorrow with Equalizer APO on and Peace Ui off..

Thanks for chipping in :)

It does not surprise me that .NET audio works the best. Peace UI does not do much, but the concerning thing in your setup is USB. There are many poor quality USB audio drivers, so if I was in your shoes, I would avoid USB audio as much as possible. In very worst case you will see that CC constantly reenumerates audio devices in nAudio mode - that's most likely poor USB audio device driver.

If your audio device does not have EQ, you may try removing all driver audio filters and replacing them with APO, but again, APO is not free, it uses resources and adds delays.