PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me The Gaps no longer working

Markypea
22-02-2019, 09:12
Hi,

In Project Cars 2 I always want gaps fore and aft enabled, "Tell me the gaps", however recently, last new months I guess, I barely ever get the gaps each time I cross the line. In response to my instruction "Tell me the gaps" I do get an "okay I'll tell you the gaps", however I pretty much never get the gap behind, and sometimes I do get the gap to the car ahead once per lap, but most of the time not. I have reset my settings back to default to ensure that it's not something I have broken by changing a setting, however I still do not get anything. I can asked specifically "what's the gap behind?" and that works fine. Also it would be great if there was a tick box in the properties to just enable this constantly, it's like having a pitboard giving the gap behind and ahead which is pretty useful for adjusting your pace etc.

I have also tried putting the gaps ahead and behind up to 10, however that didn't appear to make any difference. I'm not sure if it's thinking that I am in qualifying instead of a race as it typically tells me my splits and how much I am off the pace or not, which during a race with variable tyre state and fuel loads, I don't really care about anyway.

Many thanks for this awesome bit of software btw, as a fellow developer I am really impressed and it makes Project Cars so much more enjoyable.

mr_belowski
22-02-2019, 09:56
I've been noticing a similar thing recently. I'll take a look when I get a chance

Markypea
20-04-2019, 15:23
Hello,

Is there any news on this? I note that it still does not work at all. I would love to have my gaps each lap, for me it's the most useful part of crew chief.

Markypea
26-04-2019, 15:43
I did some testing and I think that instead of gaps in front and behind, he's giving deltas from the best lap during the race.

If this cannot be fixed, it is possible to get previous builds?

mr_belowski
26-04-2019, 16:57
I've just testing this on pCars2 and I've been able to reproduce a bug, but I'm not sure if it's sufficient to cover what you're seeing.

There's a piece of validation on the gap-ahead / gap-behind calls, intended to prevent them playing if your race position has changed since the message was 'queued', or if the gap is very small relative to your current speed. This issue here is that validation is too strict - if either of the gaps (ahead or behind) is too small, it won't play the messages. This is compounded by the fact that being in the lead means the gap ahead is 0 (so no gap messages play) and being last means the gap behind is zero (so again, no messages play).

The upshot of all this is that it's far too likely for the gap messages to be considered invalid and not be played.

A fix for this will be in the next version of the app. Hopefully it'll address your issue

Markypea
02-05-2019, 14:38
I've just testing this on pCars2 and I've been able to reproduce a bug, but I'm not sure if it's sufficient to cover what you're seeing.

There's a piece of validation on the gap-ahead / gap-behind calls, intended to prevent them playing if your race position has changed since the message was 'queued', or if the gap is very small relative to your current speed. This issue here is that validation is too strict - if either of the gaps (ahead or behind) is too small, it won't play the messages. This is compounded by the fact that being in the lead means the gap ahead is 0 (so no gap messages play) and being last means the gap behind is zero (so again, no messages play).

The upshot of all this is that it's far too likely for the gap messages to be considered invalid and not be played.

A fix for this will be in the next version of the app. Hopefully it'll address your issue

I am getting the messages now, in fact it is better than before, I think before you have the fore/aft gaps no matter if they were very small. Now I am hearing the gap ahead and my last lap time, not the gap behind because the A.I. car is usually close behind as I am holding them up. I have an online race event tonight again so it will get a proper test then. Fingers crossed and many thanks indeed.

Markypea
03-05-2019, 09:22
Last night I got the gap ahead every lap, and never the gap behind, regardless of how big or small that gap was. Was great knowing the gap ahead so that was good to know that I was closing it if I really pushed, however the gap behind dropped for 8 seconds to 1.5 and I didn't know at all.

Is it not possible to just ignore every validation and literally just give the gap ahead and behind at the point of crossing the line if tell me the gaps is enabled?

mr_belowski
03-05-2019, 10:08
This change hasn't actually been released yet :)

When it is (this weekend, I expect) the validation will work correctly and the messages won't be skipped any more

Markypea
08-05-2019, 07:59
Ah, well you must have fixed it somewhere else then :confused: as I get the gap ahead every lap now. I have the gap ahead and gap behind frequency both set to ten as well, so perhaps it's that that is triggering and something has changed around that area of the code. I'm keeping up to date with the releases and it's still the same behaviour so far, every lap I get the gap ahead, nothing on the gap behind. I should try without asking for the gaps and see if I am getting the same behaviour. Thanks for your continued support.

Markypea
09-05-2019, 14:03
Had a go last night, half hour race, did not ask for the gaps. Was told the gap behind every lap, not over the start finish though, at other points on the circuit. Was not told the gap ahead very often. However, the fact that I am getting the gaps told to me again at all is great.